Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink]
pacostacos wrote:
HP's are garbage, so are Dells (I really cannot emphasize this enough). Don't bother with Apple, they're over-priced fanboi computers- good for people who don't know how to use a pc. Lenova, Asus, Acer, Toshiba/Sony- in that order. Windows 8 is coming soon and you can get it for a good deal with purchase. Or you could always buy a used Thinkpad (t series) and run Ubuntu on it, if you'd like a bargain deal.

Apple's hardware quality is still miles ahead of any other manufacturer's. I think the software thing could be an issue, not sure, but it's absurd to say it's a "fanboi" computer. And not having to go out of your way to learn arcane ways to maintain your computer is the whole point of a Mac, letting you focus on more important things, like school/work.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have been doing my diligence for a while and I am still on the fence about using my Mac this fall. I have not been convinced that even with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office for Windows that I will be ok with the heavy lifting in my finance classes as well as any programs that run off of Windows. I have always been PC user and only first purchased a Mac in 2010, but still use a PC at work.

If I do purchase a PC, i really dont want to spend more than $300 (looking at refurbished and Scratch and Dent models from Lenovo, Dell, etc). I would love to get some more folks thoughts on this who have been through at least one year of their MBA program.

Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8796 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
I've been using a Dell Latitude E6500 for work and I've not had any troubles with it. My next laptop (when I get to B-School) will probably be a Lenovo Thinkpad. I was not too impressed with the new line of Latitudes; they don't feel as sturdy as the previous generation and they look more like consumer laptops now. The new Lenovo Thinkpad T530 is out in the U.S. The nice thing about the new T530 is the discrete Nvidia NVS 1GB graphics card. However the new model has switched over to an island style keyboard layout. I love the feel of classic Lenovo/Dell keyboard so I'm not sure if the new graphics card is a worthy tradeoff wrt losing the classic keyboard.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EmoryNole wrote:
Im doing the Lenovo X1 as well. With the student pricing, you can do a SSD and the whole shot is around $1,300 with MsftOffice installed. This computer is amazing. Powerful, thin, long battery life with SSD, durable, charges wicked fast and boot time is equally fast. It's the whole package if you're willing to spend the money.

Best computer available outside of Mac. I have heard that unless you are computer savvy, the Mac is discernibly different than PCs. Since Ctrl+Alt+Del is still my go-to solution to any and all problems, I prefer to be on the same page as professors instruction without having to rely on what little tech savvy I have.

How do you get that student pricing? Is this a special link at lenovo's website that all students get or is it specific for your school?

A x1 for $1300 w/ MS Office sounds like a good deal. (Although don't most schools give out MS Office for free or like $15 to mba students?)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Schools: Goizueta '14
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
On the Lenovo website you just go to Solutions For and scroll down to students. I am not sure if you the school matters, but I know the discount worked for Emory. You won't be able to get the X1 right now though because the X1 carbon is coming out in August. I ordered my X1 from the Lenovo outlet site (outlet.lenovo.com), 160SSD, Windows Prof64, whole nine yards for under $1,300 brand new. If you don't want to wait until August to order your laptop, thats a great price for a phenomenal computer. Emory's program begins in late July so I really didn't want to wait. Also, who knows how much the new X1 will cost or how long it will take to ship.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EmoryNole wrote:
Also, who knows how much the new X1 will cost or how long it will take to ship.

Yeah the new x1 carbon looks incredible, but probably very pricey.

Thanks for explaining how to get the student discount.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
read a ton of ultrabook reviews and am torn between the lenovo ideapads (U300/310) and the asus zenbook (ux31/prime)
the former seems like a more reliable brand and doesn't have any keyboard/trackpad issues.

asus resolution dwarfs lenovo, however, a number of reviews noted that the keyboard and trackpad are buggy.

thoughts on either of the two models?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
It depends up on how you use your laptop.. I would suggest u acer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
asdasd123123 wrote:
read a ton of ultrabook reviews and am torn between the lenovo ideapads (U300/310) and the asus zenbook (ux31/prime)
the former seems like a more reliable brand and doesn't have any keyboard/trackpad issues.

asus resolution dwarfs lenovo, however, a number of reviews noted that the keyboard and trackpad are buggy.

thoughts on either of the two models?

I was looking at these two models, as well. I'm probably going to go with the Zenbook because the Ideapad doesn't have an Ethernet port.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
ls413 - Best to my knowledge the Zenbook doesn't have an ethernet port either.

I eventually went ahead with the Thinkpad X230 and couldn't be happier!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a Lenovo and am very satisfied with it. However the only reason I got it was because I was getting a good deal for it. All the best laptop brands like HP, Dell, Sony are equally good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
The Lenovo x-series is probably the best choice out, but if you want to be more price conscious, I would look at the Lenovo Thinkpad e-series. I think those are the small business laptops, not as thin as the x-series but easily good enough to get you through school. I got a brand new one for $700, while the x-series go for well over a thousand.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
WE:Operations (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I used the Thinkpad at my first job, and it can definitely get the job done. I'd be happy with that, or possible one of those Dell Latitude laptops
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
Mine's Toshiba and works fine without any problem. Would recommend anyone who wants to get quality with a cheap price!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
PSA: Please do not buy a Dell laptop. I purchased the XPS 13 6 months ago and it has crashed 3 times already. Each time I had to reinstall the operating system, thereby deleting everything stored on my laptop - files, pictures -everything. I would have lost it all if I did not have cloud storage. Technicians could not help me retrieve backup files from the hard drive. To make matters worse, they asked me to pay more money above the basic warranty which I had already paid for to "fix" the issue, which they could not do successfully. The first time it happened I was told it was a one-off event. This is the third time this has happened. I've spent countless hours on the phone over several days, trying an inordinate number of steps to no avail. Dell refused to give me a refund, replacement or exchange despite my "premium" warranty. To add insult to injury, they claimed they would send someone over to fix it in 2-3 days. Being that technicians don't work on the weekend and they have no emergency response. Forewarned is forearmed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Please do not buy a Dell computer. I purchased the XPS 13 6 months ago and it has crashed 3 times already. Each time I had to
reinstall the operating system, thereby deleting everything stored on my laptop - files, pictures -everything. I would have lost
it all if I did not have cloud storage. Technicians could not help me retrive backup files from the hard drive.
To make matters worse, they asked me to pay more money above the basic warranty which I had already paid for to "fix" the issue, which
they could not do successfully. The first time it happened I was told it was a one-off event. This is
the third time this has happened. I've spent countless hours on the phone over several days, trying an
inordinate number of steps to no avail. Dell refused to give me a refund, replacement or exchange despite my "premium"
warranty. To add insult to injury, they claimed they would send someone over to fix it in 2-3 days. Being
that technicians don't work on the weekend and they have no emergency response.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
Send PM
I've had 6 Dell machines and have bought and set up countless others. Never have I had issues like you did. Does that mean I can make sweeping generalisations about a brand? Nope.

I'd recommend the Dell XPS 13 9360, it's simply the best ever laptop I've owned. Surface Pro is brilliant as well.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5