Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [18]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [4]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
 Q46  V48
Send PM
Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America’s most enduring wri [#permalink]
Bookmarks
This is E. It's difficult to explain why.

A, B & D have to be wrong because of the tense (Hughes is dead, so everything is in the past, not present or future).

C - "Would have published" begs an "if" clause - it suggests that he didn't actually publish

"Would publish" actually has the force of past perfect, it means the same as "Did publish" and would be used in a certain type of formal writing. Sorry I can't give you a more "grammary" explanation, but I'm sure this is right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink]
Kudos
Straight E. That answer option uses the right tense to indicate that something that has already happened, is being anticipated to occur as if it hasn't happened. The word "would" fulfills this bill.

Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
To understand this topic in its right perspective, please travel with me to the beginning of the Hughes’s life-span of 65 years and look at the events from there
A. 65 years is deep in the past and hence we need a past tense related verb and the use of will have published, a future perfect tense is inappropriate.
B. Is publishing is also wrong for the same reasons as in A
C. Would have published is sheer speculation as though, a correct count could not be taken even at the end of the 65- year tenure. incorrect
D. Will publish does not go well with the pastness
E. Would publish gives the picture of a report, because, starting from the beginning, the tense indicates a factual factor. correct choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
daagh

can you tell me what makes option C wrong. The only difference is "would have" and "would". Please explain in detail
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here the text wants to assert that Hughes has published a certain number of things. ‘Would publish’, a past future tense of ‘will publish’ does that job neatly. On the contrary, ‘would have published’ leaves us with an uncertainty whether he did publish at all so many. This element of speculation makes C inferior.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America's most enduring writers and a key figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s, will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.

A. will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
B. is publishing hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
C. would have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
D. will publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
E. would publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.

lets start the elimination process. A - Can not because will have denotes something in the future but sentence
says -Over his 65 years - means the its about past tense.
So - Eliminate B and D.

Now Out of C & E, E is a conditional sentence - Would publish.... that can be said for future work as well. So only Option left is C and that is the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hai , daagh

thanks, i got your point. Can you suggest any material or website that covers this topic. I am not aware with all wordings like "would".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Google for modal verbs, among which would is one. Many sites have writings on the use of would, acting as a future tense of will in indirect speech, and as a subjunctive mood auxiliary verb in hypothetical cases.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
OK...
learning is a conditional sentence should be avoided...
I was not aware of that..

I had confusion between c and E...

But, since E is OA...i accept!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
There is big confusion between C and E.

As per the intended meaning: There are some works that Hughes did repeatedly in his 65-years of life span.

Would Vs Would have:
C: Hughes would have published X, Y, Z.
Means If something had happened Hughes would have published. This is not the author wants to convey.

E: Hughes would publish X,Y,Z.
Means: In his life span of 65 years Hughes published X,Y,Z repeatedly.
Supporting Doc: "Would" is most commonly used to create conditional verb forms. It also serves as the past form of the modal verb "will." Additionally, "would" can indicate repetition in the past.
Examples:
If he were an actor, he would be in adventure movies. conditional
I knew that she would be very successful in her career. past of "will"
When they first met, they would always have picnics on the beach. repetition

So choice E.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America’s most enduring wri [#permalink]
Expert Reply
johnycute wrote:
Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America’s most enduring writers and a key figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920’s, will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
A. will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
B. is publishing hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
C. would have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
D. will publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
E. would publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.

Good Question.

Doubt should be between C and E.

C is only incorrect because it posses a half conditional. E is the best.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618924 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM