Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink]
We held an information session in Munich about the Cambridge MBA last week. You can read more about how the Cambridge MBA can help German managers from this article that I wrote after the info session.
https://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.co ... e-evening/

Remember that the best way to keep up with all these blog posts is by following @CambridgeMBA on twitter and by liking our Facebook Page (The Cambridge MBA).

Kind regards

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello Conrad,

Cambridge offers a unique clustering of technology firms and a comfortable closeness to London, which is ideal to me. However, I need some answers to few pinching and few strategic questions. I am not sure if you can answer all, but I will try framing them here as they concern me and I am also hoping that some answers might come through this public forum.

Pinching ones:
Has UK become a difficult place to go for an MBA degree, especially with the current economic uncertainty in EU and toughened UK visa regulations? What advice does Cambridge Judge offers to current students who are seeking a career in the UK? What steps career services is taking to ensure that current students remain vigilant about the dynamics of the job market and of unexplored opportunities?

Strategic ones:
Flash employment numbers are available for 2010 as I read in one of your blogs. However, career report data is fairly old (2008-09). I am looking online for a latest report. Please let me know if you have published or publishing one of those soon.
Not all electives are offered every year as per information on your website. Please provide a list of current and prospective (2013-14) electives on offer, if you have identified them.
What resources/ projects are on offer at Cambridge to help students seek a career in technology consulting?

Sincerely and Warm Regards
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@kmano

I am not sure what you mean by the UK being a difficult place for MBAs. I think you will find that globally, there is a lot of pressure on certain types of jobs, so investment banking for one is very badly hit and people are finding it difficult to get jobs regardless of whether they have an MBA, or even have lots of experience. That is not to say that it is impossible to get into these sectors, just that it takes a combination of great determination and strong track record.

In terms of the visa, an MBA from a UK university is effectively, the only route into the UK job market for a non-EU citizen. Non-EU citizens who graduate with an MBA from a UK university have to accept a job offer within the length of their student visa in order to stay in the UK. At the moment, they are not counted towards the quota of non-EU citizens nor are they subject to a labour market test.

The latest employment report will be published soon. The overall numbers are on our website. Electives are finalised throughout the year but you can see the list of this year's electives on the website.

Conrad
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Conrad, Thanks for answering questions here. Could you please clearly explain the school's stand on English proficiency requirements? I've seen on the school's website that one needs a minimum TOEFL score of 110 with atleast 25 in each section. My TOEFL score is 104 (L:30, R:26, W:24, S:24). Does this score makes me ineligible to apply?

My score will expire on 20th August, 2012. Will you accept the score if I report it before this date?

I've 2.5 yrs of Full time work experience in London, UK and my education was completely in English medium institutions in India. Based on this information, Can I claim a relaxation from English proficiency requirements?

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello. Can you comment on opportunities available for spouses? Can they for instance attend classes, use university facilities, attend events, nd so on. Cheers.
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@goddy

You can apply but because you do not meet the minimum requirements, you will be asked to take a proficiency test if you were made an offer. Depending on the results of that proficiency test, we might either ask you to retake the TOEFL or take an English class.

@Ducksworth ---Spouses cannot attend the MBA classes, but they can use some of the university facilities as well as some facilities in colleges, depending on the individual college policy. In Cambridge, the spouses typically self-organise their own events.

Conrad
@CambridgeMBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Conard,

For a non EU individual admitted in first round to a top 5 UK MBA program, I would like to know whether there are any pre MBA volunteering - get to know the industry - options?

Sept 2013 is a long ways away, and it would be great if people had the opportunity, on the basis of being admitted, to experience the new industry at their own expense with or without taking part in a schools pre-MBA program.

Thanks
Send PM
@dearxavier

I am not entirely clear what you are asking. If you are asking whether you, as a non-EU student can enter the UK before your study commences to take on some sort of internship, then I think the answer is no. I am not a solicitor, but I am quite sure that under the conditions of a student visa, you are only allowed to take up internships that are connected with your course of study, and it would be highly unlikely that you would be allowed to work before the commencement of your student visa, which is tightly linked to the commencement of study.

Of course, if you want to work in your country of residence, that should be entirely fine so long as you meet all local requirements.

Conrad Chua
@CambridgeMBA
Head MBA Admissions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi Conrad. I am interested in Finance so I was wondering how much interaction there is between the MBA and the MFin. For example, can MBA students take MFin courses as their electives? Thanks!
Send PM
@Ducksworth

Yes, there are some finance electives where MBAs and MFins can take classes together. THere are also opportunities to get to know the MFins through the CBSC, which is the main student body in the Business School.

If you are interested in finance, there is also the finance concentration which is one of 8 concentrations that you can choose from in the last term. You can read more about the finance concentration at
https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/mba/programme/ ... nance.html

Kind regards
Conrad
@CambridgeMBA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM