Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink]
I know Genetech has some good LDPs. Was talking with some guy from Wharton who was doing a marketing rotation and he seemed pretty happy with it
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
what are the average work hours,starting pay post-mba, average annual increment, bonus/perks for industry vs consulting vs investment banking

Industry
This is incredibly variable.

Consulting
Check out https://www.managementconsulted.com.

Investment Banking
Check out https://www.mergersandinquisitions.com.

each consulting company's salary is much greater than average of most of b-schools. Is it always the case ?? If yes, which jobs bring down the average (just wanted to know so as to know that i dont want to get into that) :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
vikram4689 wrote:
each consulting company's salary is much greater than average of most of b-schools. Is it always the case ?? If yes, which jobs bring down the average (just wanted to know so as to know that i dont want to get into that) :)
If money is the most important thing that you care about, there are better ways to earn that money than getting an MBA.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I'm looking to advance my career in Asia, specifically, China. Does anyone have insights into how to best navigate the corporate ladder in China?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JeremyLin wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
If money is the most important thing that you care about, there are better ways to earn that money than getting an MBA.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I'm looking to advance my career in Asia, specifically, China. Does anyone have insights into how to best navigate the corporate ladder in China?

At least i am not faking which is clearly evident about you from your profile using name & pic of famous Basket baller and Harvard Grad Jeremy Lin
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
On a completely different note. This thread just made the "Best Forum Posts June 14, 2012".

best-forum-posts-june-134776.html#p1098460
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
RoyHalladay wrote:
What companies have strong LDPs in the healthcare/biotech area? What are the job opps like after completion?

I would say for the most part, health care companies are not general management type rotational programs, they are generally either marketing LDPs OR finance LDPs, at least if you are looking at products (biotech/pharma/devices). Services/delivery and insurance are often a bit different.

So, many have commercial/marketing LDPs. These would work very similarly to what a CPG company would. You might rotate through different brands or different stages of marketing (market research, early stage, late stage) and then you just pick or interview for a spot on a team at the end. I don't think it's necessarily a huge jump once you finish your LDP. Marketing programs tend to have a very set promotional structure...do this for two years, then do this for four years, etc.

Pharma/biotech companies almost always include a sales rotation, and this might be one of only two rotations.

Pretty much all of the major companies have these. Amgen, Genentech, Merck, J&J, Medtronic, BMS, Lilly. Probably many more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

I think Cigna and Aetna both have LDP programs that do rotate through different functions. I don't know how they exit out though.

Hospital/provider/delivery is just a whole different beast I think. There are a couple that were mentioned earlier that have specific MBA recruiting, but others you have to come through residencies (for which the pay really sucks to start out) and some hospitals just aren't structured the same as a corporation. You might have a performance improvement/quality improvement job in which you end up doing a mix of operations and finance, rather than rotating through departments.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Send PM
stompy wrote:
I know Genetech has some good LDPs. Was talking with some guy from Wharton who was doing a marketing rotation and he seemed pretty happy with it

I've heard mixed things about Genentech. It seems like it probably depends on what product you end up on.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
I've heard mixed things about Genentech. It seems like it probably depends on what product you end up on.
I have to concur with highhopes. Genentech only converted 1 out 4 Fuqua summer intern offer. Conversion rate can be an indication of the quality of the program. In general, very few people at the company will tell you that their company is bad, unless you have a strong personal relationship. Of course, there are other reasons for low conversion; for example, unattractive location (probably not the case for Genentech).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
asimov wrote:
highhopes wrote:
I have to concur with highhopes. Genentech only converted 1 out 4 Fuqua summer intern offer. Conversion rate can be an indication of the quality of the program. In general, very few people at the company will tell you that their company is bad, unless you have a strong personal relationship. Of course, there are other reasons for low conversion; for example, unattractive location (probably not the case for Genentech).

I am interested in their program, and Genentech has a good reputation for taking care of their employees.
Did it change with Roche's acquisition? I don't know.

Do you mean that 4 summer inters with Genentech were offered a full time position but only 1 accepted it?
Do you know why the conversion rate was low from Fuqua?
Director
Director
Send PM
gmatmba1 wrote:
asimov wrote:
highhopes wrote:

I am interested in their program, and Genentech has a good reputation for taking care of their employees.
Did it change with Roche's acquisition? I don't know.

Do you mean that 4 summer inters with Genentech were offered a full time position but only 1 accepted it?
Do you know why the conversion rate was low from Fuqua?

Some companies hire strictly out of their intern class and frequently in these situations, if you don't do badly you will likely get an offer. Genentech doesn't fall into this boat. From what I know, you have a 50/50 shot of getting a full time offer coming out of an internship. So there are good people that don't get offers.

I wasn't really referring to this when I commented, however. What I had heard is more along the lines that the way their marketing is structured, you might have a gigantic avastin team (as an example) and you might get stuck working on something not that meaningful. I also did talk to a guy that interned right after the acquisition and he said he probably would not have gone back except that he just happened to have an opportunity experience-wise that he thought was really good. It sounds like it's more bureaucratic than it used to be. I don't think it's necessarily an issue of Genentech not being a good company to work for, just that there might be better opportunities out there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2 queries guys:
1. What are the chances of a person from a non-similar background to land into LDP. For e.g. What would be the chances of an Indian IT male to land into LDP of an Healthcare company. (keeping other factors aside e.g selective nature of LDP )

2. What are common traits that companies look for LDP positions. Asking this so that i can focus on these during my MBA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
vikram4689 wrote:
2 queries guys:
1. What are the chances of a person from a non-similar background to land into LDP. For e.g. What would be the chances of an Indian IT male to land into LDP of an Healthcare company. (keeping other factors aside e.g selective nature of LDP )

2. What are common traits that companies look for LDP positions. Asking this so that i can focus on these during my MBA

If I may add,
Vikram inquired about change in the industry. What about change in functions within the industry? (pharmaceutical research >> pharmaceutical finance)
what about changing both industry and function? (although, I guess pharmaceutical research cannot really only change industry ..)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
What companies have strong LDPs in the healthcare/biotech area? What are the job opps like after completion?

I would say for the most part, health care companies are not general management type rotational programs, they are generally either marketing LDPs OR finance LDPs, at least if you are looking at products (biotech/pharma/devices). Services/delivery and insurance are often a bit different.

So, many have commercial/marketing LDPs. These would work very similarly to what a CPG company would. You might rotate through different brands or different stages of marketing (market research, early stage, late stage) and then you just pick or interview for a spot on a team at the end. I don't think it's necessarily a huge jump once you finish your LDP. Marketing programs tend to have a very set promotional structure...do this for two years, then do this for four years, etc.

Pharma/biotech companies almost always include a sales rotation, and this might be one of only two rotations.

Pretty much all of the major companies have these. Amgen, Genentech, Merck, J&J, Medtronic, BMS, Lilly. Probably many more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

I think Cigna and Aetna both have LDP programs that do rotate through different functions. I don't know how they exit out though.

Hospital/provider/delivery is just a whole different beast I think. There are a couple that were mentioned earlier that have specific MBA recruiting, but others you have to come through residencies (for which the pay really sucks to start out) and some hospitals just aren't structured the same as a corporation. You might have a performance improvement/quality improvement job in which you end up doing a mix of operations and finance, rather than rotating through departments.

Great info here, thanks. Since there aren't any general management type LDPs in pharma/healthcare, what would be the best path to take to end up in a leadership position at a Merck, J&J, BMS, etc type company? Management Consulting?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
friends, any valuable inputs on gmatmba1 and my queries
Director
Director
Send PM
gmatmba1 wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
2 queries guys:

If I may add,
Vikram inquired about change in the industry. What about change in functions within the industry? (pharmaceutical research >> pharmaceutical finance)
what about changing both industry and function? (although, I guess pharmaceutical research cannot really only change industry ..)

First, if we're talking health care (and actually probably not only health care), recruiting is primarily domestic unless you're willing to work in your home country. At least this is the case for marketing, I'm less familiar with finance, but assume it's the same.

Switching industries and functions is difficult but not impossible. Switching industries and switching functions are both do-able, I think switching industries is probably a little easier.
Director
Director
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
highhopes wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

Great info here, thanks. Since there aren't any general management type LDPs in pharma/healthcare, what would be the best path to take to end up in a leadership position at a Merck, J&J, BMS, etc type company? Management Consulting?

I think the track is still the same, it's just that these don't tend to be programs that put you on a fast track, there's a very routine promotional schedule. So it probably just takes a little longer. Also, some companies are "finance driven" v some that are "marketing driven" and sometimes you might even have more impact in a given function.

I don't think consulting is the golden ticket that many people think. To come out with really good exit options, you need to be higher than where most people exit. In a lot of your cases the extra two years that your classmates got working at the company is going to be more valuable than someone that's come in from consulting.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
First, if we're talking health care (and actually probably not only health care), recruiting is primarily domestic unless you're willing to work in your home country. At least this is the case for marketing, I'm less familiar with finance, but assume it's the same.

Switching industries and functions is difficult but not impossible. Switching industries and switching functions are both do-able, I think switching industries is probably a little easier.

In case of switching industries lets say from Intel engineer->Mckinsey consultant would my chances of landing into job depend on the summer internship and would my summer internship acceptance depends on the grades in mba ?

if there are any other points that should be taken care please advice
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5