Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1235 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8799 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: How to calm down during Quant [#permalink]
Hey Diana, I'm no expert but here are some of the ways I have coped with stress and the GMAT:

1. When doing practice tests (and for that matter, on the real test) convince yourself that the scores don't matter. I like to think that the real test is like any other practice test and I can always do the GMAT again. Once I started doing this and stopped worrying about scores, my performance improved. The less 'special' I make the GMAT event, the less nervous I am about it.

2. Along the same lines, refrain from thinking too much about the GMAT 'scoring algorithm' (that is, of course if you do). I see many folks on this forum trying to correlate their raw scores to the number of questions they got right or wrong. Focus on doing your best and leave the 'judging' to the GMAC peeps.

3. Try and laugh about the questions that you get wrong. During study or while reviewing wrong answers on a practice test, I always laugh about the questions I get wrong (I get a mental picture of Homer Simpson going 'doh') The point is to acknowledge your 'silliness' as to why you got something wrong, figure out why, learn from it and move on. This mental attitude will be helpful on test day when you won't have a choice but to move on.

4. This may or may not be helpful: Try and keep an ongoing mental commentary in your head when doing problems. This may sound freaky but talking to myself (usually in my head but sometimes low level muttering) actually helps me maintain a problem solving frame of mind. I find this especially helpful on data sufficiency and reading comprehension. My mental commentary is like discussing a question with a friend except I'm discussing the problem with myself.

I hope that some of this stuff is at least some what helpful to you. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
dianamao wrote:
I've got a slight problem.

Whenever I do timed practice tests, the quant section always makes me really nervous and stressed, causing me to underperform, but then in the verbal section, I'm much more relaxed, calm and actually enjoy solving through the questions. I kid you not, every time the 75 mins is up for quant, it's a great sense of relief for me!!

I don't know whether it's a mater of practice because I've done a handful of times tests and this problem persists.

Is this normal? More importantly can the veterans here please suggest some remedies to help me to calm down during the test?

Thanks heaps.
Diana

Hi Diana,

I belong to the same group as you are....hope the answers to your questions would help people like you and me to conquer QUANTS...

Regards
GMAT Club Bot