Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [584]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [9]
Send PM
Re: Next Generation GMAT - 800 (Long Debrief) [#permalink]
Kudos
Gokhra and Samwong, thanks for the kind words!

Samwong wrote:
Congratulation! This is the first 800 debrief that I have ever seen. Good luck with your application.

Despite my score, I don't imagine my debrief will be more helpful than that of someone who had a more disciplined study routine. But thanks again!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
:shock: 800..wow..thats all I have to say !!
are you planning on re-taking ? :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [8]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Congrats on that amazing score!! This is only the second 800 debrief I've, and I've seen A LOT of debriefs.

So where are you applying? My advice is to start working to boost other areas of your application. You don't want to come off as just a bookworm! BSchool is so much more than that, and we've heard stories of 800s being rejected. Of course, an 800 is amazing and will be a huge gold star on your application, but just remember, it's not a free pass! Work hard on the rest of your apps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ditto on the congrats... and thanks much for taking time to write a thorough debrief! Between your perfect score and Peace Corps background, I would think you'd be able to get into any of the top tier schools. Best wishes!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [6]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow... very impressive. I do not believe we have had anyone with an 800.... yet.
Congratulations. I did not realize there was only one test center in Ukraine but searching through GMAC's site, that appears the case - sad.

I can only imagine what is going through your mind right now :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8796 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
Wow congrats. I don't know what else to say except - whoa :wow
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks again to everyone for the congratulations, and for the kudos! I'm blushing! :oops: <--that is the closest thing to a blushing smiley

GMATLA wrote:
So where are you applying? My advice is to start working to boost other areas of your application. You don't want to come off as just a bookworm! BSchool is so much more than that, and we've heard stories of 800s being rejected. Of course, an 800 is amazing and will be a huge gold star on your application, but just remember, it's not a free pass! Work hard on the rest of your apps

At first I was really excited about my score (naturally), but now that I've read more I'm anxious that my application will be unduly scrutinized or read with bias. I know my work experience is my biggest shortcoming, but I have several good stories about leadership and cross-cultural relationship building, so maybe adcomms will take a gamble on my future potential. Or maybe they'll go with one of the 8,000 applicants who has it all.

I have been trying to narrow down schools (and I would appreciate advice about the application process and which schools might match my goals). I really want to get a position in management consulting post-MBA (assuming I get accepted somewhere). Working as a consultant would cement and expand upon the things I would learn in b-school, and I think the analytical rigor would suit me well. It would be a dream to work in the Kyiv or Moscow office of one of the big three, since I've learned to speak Russian since being here and developed a fondness for this region. I would love to work with both large clients expanding into eastern Europe and small local companies interested in growth. My long-term dream is to consult for socially-driven small companies or start one of my own.

Considering my goals, I want to study strategy and entrepreneurship. I want a program with high consulting placement and the opportunity for a summer internship (so most of Europe is out). I'll try to gain relevant experience between the end of my Peace Corps service (December) and next fall, but even if I do, I'll still need a strong internship.

My top choices are Kellogg (because of team emphasis, consulting placement, location) and Booth (because of strategic management, entrepreneurship, location, career services), but I recently started researching Tuck (because of strategic management, entrepreneurship, amazing alumni) and it could be a good choice too. However, Tuck is much more selective than the Chicago area schools because of Tuck's low student intake. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because I'm too far away for campus visits to be an option. Booth had one informational event in Kyiv in May (that I traveled 20 hours each way to attend) but for the most part Ukraine doesn't get a lot of recruiters. I consider Fuqua and London Business School to be my alternate choices. They both have 2-year programs and good consulting placement. LBS would probably better assist me in beginning a career outside the US. Fuqua has a special scholarship program for returned Peace Corps volunteers (but it might occupy the whole summer? I need to get an answer on that). The more I think about it, the less I think I would attend Fuqua if I was dinged everywhere else. I anticipate work experience being the most likely reason for a ding, and in that case I'd keep working and reapply to my dream schools.

I welcome any advice regarding where to apply, how to apply, or how to get business work experience coming straight from Peace Corps. My current plan is to look for a position with a small business or boutique consulting firm in the Chicago area (which is where I'll be after Peace Corps).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM