Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [45]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Best Ways to Pick a Recommender [#permalink]
Thank you for the insight, GMATLA.

Would it be wise to ask a client, who is really impressed with your skills and really happy about your contributions to his organization, for a recommendation ?

How would you rate this : Best/Mediocre/Worst ?

Regards,
kristheone
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
kristheone wrote:
Thank you for the insight, GMATLA.

Would it be wise to ask a client, who is really impressed with your skills and really happy about your contributions to his organization, for a recommendation ?

How would you rate this : Best/Mediocre/Worst ?

Regards,
kristheone

Most schools ask for 2 professional letters of recommendation. A client is a great choice, especially if you are an entrepreneur or work for a family business where a relative is your direct supervisor.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have a question concerning recommendations. I spent past 4.5yrs working at same company (industrial R&D). Early this year, I started my own investment partnership with several members poached from our R&D team.

My boss is supportive of me continuing to get a MBA and I can count on a good recommendation from him. But for the 2nd letter, which one do you guys think is better?
- From a project manager whom I worked with for 2 years, where I was the lead engineer for a 100mil+ expansion project
or
- From my business partner, who knows me since I started working and saw me turn a hobby into a "club" into a full fledged company?

EDIT: By the way, I'm still employed full time, and working on my own llc currently.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
thank you for the detailed reply.

I wanted to know your take on get recommendations from Clients?
I have been an account manager for 3 years and recently left my job for my own venture.

In that case, will previous/ current clients be the right choice for recommender?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3
Send PM
This advice is gold. Something that is helping me pick and choose my recommenders.

I have a specific question though. A former senior colleague of mine is now a Marketing Director at another organization, and I worked closely with her on numerous important deals (marketing communication support).

Would she be a good choice? Will appreciate any feedback.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Does anyone know if the title of the recommendor really matter or not
First.. my title : Analyst
I have three choices :
A senior Consultant : Will write me a stellar reco (we are kind of buddies)
A Manager: Upto the mark reco i guess i would have wanted some more examples(He mailed me what he wrote once he wrote it !!!)
A seniore manager : Dont know at all what s**t he writes !! Used him in Ross application , didnt get an invite. I blame him :P

Any suggestions ? I am shortlisting my R2 recommendors !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Really great post... I really like the tiers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I remember reading this article when I was thinking about selecting recommenders, it has some good tips and guidelines: https://www.aringo.com/Recommendations.htm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi

If My father works in the same company in which I work, and sometimes for some work I report to him.
can i consider it as a recommender?

Its not a family business . we both work in a multinational company. he manages the accounts.research and development, I am an IT developer
will that recommendation be mediocre or worst or good?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello,

Kindly help me shortlist whom should I nominate for recommendation -

Background - I have done Engineering in 2010. Worked for a consulting firm for 9 months. Bootstrapped and started my own venture (No Co-Founder) in June 2011 in Talent Management (HR)

One of my ex-clients (Has worked till March 2015) has agreed for same. (1st box ticked :) )

Kindly suggest whom should I nominate as my second recommender -

1. Among the co-founders of a unlaunched, shelved, yet to fly startup (This was in parallel my own venture & is different but has been shelved by the whole team)
2. Ex Boss - My Boss from my consulting experience back in 2010-2011.
3. Business team head of one of my client - Someone Not directly involved in day to day interaction and execution
4. Current Client - Least preferable option. Ideally want to avoid it, as it would immediately effect the business with the respective client. (Last resort if none of the others holds equally good value)

All the help is highly appreciated.

Vishal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
sudeshnab08 wrote:
Hi

If My father works in the same company in which I work, and sometimes for some work I report to him.

Its not a family business . we both work in a multinational company. he manages the accounts.research and development, I am an IT developer

No. Find someone else.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
dLo wrote:
sudeshnab08 wrote:
Hi

I agree that you should get someone else-- not your relative. The optics are just not ideal and you would be better served with someone else in company who has supervised you in some roles or projects.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Is it wise to include my HR Manager as my second recommendation?

First one is my direct supervisor.

GMATLA wrote:
Many people forget how important the letter of recommendation is. You should often start 4-8 weeks in advance to ask recommenders and often times you’ve been working on buidling your reputation with them for years!. The best recommenders are going to be those that will first and foremost give you a glowing recommendation. So if you are having a difficult time deciding, just make sure that you chose someone that will at least take the time necessary to toot-your-horn a bit. You want them to tell the Adcoms that you are the best they've ever seen, that the school would be silly to turn you down.

Assuming that you have many options, all of which will give you that raving review, how do you decide? Here is how to rank recommenders from Best to Worst.

BEST:
1. Current Supervisor or Boss
It's always going to be the best choice to choose a person that knows your work product inside and out. So if you can swing it with your supervisor, then this is the best route to go. Just make sure that asking your boss won't jeopardize your job.
2. Your Bosses Boss
If you can't get your direct supervisor or think your Bosses Boss will be better, there is no reason not to give them a shot. They will obviously be familiar with your work product!
3. Previous Boss
As you can see, having a supervisor vouche for you is really great in the recommendation process. If you are worried about asking your current bosses, then it might be time to reach out to an old boss for that letter. This is why it is so important to keep strong relationships even after leaving your previous job.
4. President or Supervisor over you in an Extracurricular (EC) role
Extracurriculars can pay off by not only getting you that great experience, leadership, or bonus points on your application, but they can also pay big dividends on the recommendations. If you have strong EC work, then that recommendation becomes that much stronger. Make sure that the person you ask is more of a superior than a pier.

MEDIOCRE:
1. Previous Teacher
If you are a younger applicant without much work experience (less than 2-3 years) then a you may not have strong enough connections or appropriate persons to ask. It might benefit you to think back to that teacher that really had an impact on you in college. If you were able to build a strong enough relationship, they might be willing to give you that raving review. They will not be as good as a current employer b/c they will not be familiar with your work product as much as a supervisor
2. Pier
Often times people look to their piers for recommendations. This would include anyone that is close to your same level at your current or previous job and has never been your direct supervisor. The recommendation do not hold as much weight as a supervisor b/c often times an Adcom would just assume that you chose a friend. So this would not be the ideal candidate for a recommendation, but they would still be able to give a strong opinion about your work experience

WORST:
1. Mom, Dad, or any family member
There is absolutely no time, reason, or way that you should chose your mom or dad for a recommendation. Even in cases where your mom or dad is your boss, or you work with the family business, there is NO time when mom or dad should be writing you a rec. letter. Their opinion of you will hold no weight in the Adcoms eyes b/c you mom or dad can not be unbiased in your opinion.
2. Someone you don’t know that well
So you know someone that will give you a rec. letter if you ask. They are that long time family friend, or someone you knew as a child, or someone that would definitely say yes when you asked. He/she is in a great position, so it seems like the perfect fit. NOOO, this isn’t a perfect fit. Often times there are recommenders that won’t say no, but when it comes right down to it, their opinion will not hold weight b/c you have never worked with them. Don’t get sucked into the “easy” recommendation. It might be easy to ask them, but it won’t necessarily pay off those huge dividends.
3. Someone that you don’t trust, is too busy, or never on-time
Some people are just flat out too busy to write rec. letters. Don’t let someone that is in a rush hurt your chances at Bschool. If you don’t trust their ability to manage their time, get you a rec. letter by the deadline, or you just know it will be the last thing on their plate, don’t ask them. It just isn’t worth it. I’ve seen so many individuals hurt by their recommenders, and sweating if they will turn it in on time. The heartache is not worth it!

Conslusion:
The recommender is a key part of your application. Don’t look past it, and make sure to START EARLY to get the best people on your side. Become familiar with how your school will ask the recommenders the right questions, and make sure to coach them so that they will paint you as the perfect candidate. Best of luck in your applications, and keep up all the hard work! It will all pay off :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Sajjad,

It completely depends on the meat the HR guy can put on the recommendation. The quality of his examples, the nature of your relationship( Length, weekly engagement etc. ).

If your HR recommender recruited you on day one and has not been working with you, your recommendation will be shallow, and will be taken for a pinch of salt.

Hope it helps.

Jatin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Best Ways to Pick a Recommender [#permalink]
I see most schools want a referee who knows you in a professional capacity.

What would be a better choice?

A) Colleague whom you have worked extensively and a current supervisor?

B) Colleague whom you have worked extensively and a former supervisor?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot