Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
In for R1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Wow! Is it that time of the year already!!?

Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
finmaster wrote:
In for R1.

That is a seriously monster list of schools you are applying to. 10? I went for six last round, and by the time I sent in my last app in R2 on Jan 4th, I really thought I would have killed myself if I had to do even one more. My fear is that you will spread yourself too thin and end up submitting 10 mediocre apps rather than 5 great apps, and given that none of the schools you've chosen leave any room or margin for error, that could be disastrous. I told myself at first that I could basically reuse elements of my first essays in later schools, but after hours and hours of wasted effort, I realized that even though the questions are similar, the type of answer each school is looking for and the type of answer that appeals to each school's different culture and values are completely different. I eventually realized the error of my ways, and decided to write my R2 apps (including Booth) each with a fresh start, and I found it resulted in much better feedback from schools (1 admit 1 waitlist, as opposed to 1 admit 3 ding R1). But that also means a lot of time will be spent separately writing each essay, getting them read over by your friends...

Which brings me to reason #2 not to apply to 10 schools. Are you really going to be able to get 20 recommendation letters? If so...more props to you I suppose, you must have a lot of seriously pleased supervisors in your work history. Asking two recommenders to write 10 essays each though...well that's gonna result in the same problem that your essays will, in that they will just write mediocre recs because they get so damn tired of the process.

I still 100% encourage you to apply to Booth though, because it's the best :lol:

Edit: just realized you have nine schools in your list, not ten...my bad!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I plan to apply in R1 or R2. Is there a compelling reason to do R1 over R2? Does R1 increase an applicant's chances of getting financial aid?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
NonYankee wrote:
I plan to apply in R1 or R2. Is there a compelling reason to do R1 over R2? Does R1 increase an applicant's chances of getting financial aid?

You have an equal chance of receiving aid in both R1 and R2. I think the biggest benefit to R1 at Booth is getting it done sooner. In terms of competitiveness I look at the rounds like this:
1) R1 - fewer applicants and all of the seats in the class are open. However, R1 applicants tend to be very strong as a whole.
2) R2 - most applicants in this round, many seats still left in the class. More applicants may dilute the quality of the pool so you may not be up against every superstar who ever walked the planet
3) R3 - fewest applicants, but the class is nearly full. Adcoms looking for rockstars and needed diversity (industry, function, ethnicity, career goals, etc.) to round out the class. Chances for financial aid greatly diminish.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
NonYankee wrote:

You have an equal chance of receiving aid in both R1 and R2. I think the biggest benefit to R1 at Booth is getting it done sooner. In terms of competitiveness I look at the rounds like this:
1) R1 - fewer applicants and all of the seats in the class are open. However, R1 applicants tend to be very strong as a whole.
2) R2 - most applicants in this round, many seats still left in the class. More applicants may dilute the quality of the pool so you may not be up against every superstar who ever walked the planet
3) R3 - fewest applicants, but the class is nearly full. Adcoms looking for rockstars and needed diversity (industry, function, ethnicity, career goals, etc.) to round out the class. Chances for financial aid greatly diminish.

Thanks! I think I've also heard that R1 applicants who aren't promptly admitted might be rolled over into the R2 pool and later admitted.

By the way, I told you this a long time ago, but I still love your blog. I've spent the past two days catching up on it. Did anything happen with the MBA Jumpstart program?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
NonYankee wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Thanks! I think I've also heard that R1 applicants who aren't promptly admitted might be rolled over into the R2 pool and later admitted.

By the way, I told you this a long time ago, but I still love your blog. I've spent the past two days catching up on it. Did anything happen with the MBA Jumpstart program?

Yes R1 candidates who aren't admitted in R1 can be waitlisted. They are then considered with applicants from the next round. However, this isn't unique to R1. R2 and R3 applicants can be waitlisted as well. There are some people on the summer WL now who have been there since R1, while some R2 waitlisters have already been admitted. It's not 1st on/1st off type of deal.
Thanks for the compliment. MBA Jumpstart is next week. We'll see how it goes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I'll be in for Round 1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
The 2013 application deadlines and essays for Booth have just been announced on their blog.

2012-13 Application Deadlines:
Round One Deadline: October 2, 2012
Round Two Deadline: January 8, 2013
Round Three Deadline: April 4, 2013

Essay 1: What are your short- and long-term goals, and how will an MBA from Chicago Booth help you reach them? (500 words maximum)

2) Short Answer Essays:
a. What has been your biggest challenge, and what have you learned from it? (200 words maximum)
b. Tell us about something that has fundamentally transformed the way you think. (200 words maximum)

3) Presentation/Essay:
The Chicago experience will take you deeper into issues, force you to challenge assumptions, and broaden your perspective. In a four-slide presentation or an essay of no more than 600 words, broaden our perspective about who you are. Understanding what we currently know about you from the application, what else would you like us to know?

4) Re-applicant Essay:
Upon reflection, how has your thinking regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since the time of your last application? (300 words)
Only those applicants who applied for entrance in Fall 2011 or 2012 are required to complete this essay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Oh wow! The presentation is optional from this year??!! Quite a change!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:

scorpionz, the presentation is still required this year. My apologies if I wasn't clear in my post above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hpak82 wrote:
scorpionz wrote:

scorpionz, the presentation is still required this year. My apologies if I wasn't clear in my post above.

Nope, it is indeed optional.. Just saw this Poets n Quants article which talks about the same thing..

Also the wording of the prompt indicates quite clearly that it is optional.. "...In a four-slide presentation or an essay of no more than 600 words..."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
hpak82 wrote:
scorpionz wrote:

You are right. I thought you were talking about the entire question 3 itself, not the presentation. My bad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Powerpoint optional!!! What?!?

I loved the Powerpoint. I'm sure there will be all kind of strategy this year around whether to go with PPT or a 600-word essay. I personally think the PPT showed the adcom that you were willing to take extra time/effort to apply to Booth since you couldn't just recycle another essay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
BStand wrote:

I loved the Powerpoint. I'm sure there will be all kind of strategy this year around whether to go with PPT or a 600-word essay. I personally think the PPT showed the adcom that you were willing to take extra time/effort to apply to Booth since you couldn't just recycle another essay.

Couldn't agree more!!

(Completely unrelated - I just observed that we're going to be in the same class and we joined GC on the same day!! What are the odds! :D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
BStand wrote:

Couldn't agree more!!

(Completely unrelated - I just observed that we're going to be in the same class and we joined GC on the same day!! What are the odds! :D)

Ha! Funny! See you in the fall.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
BStand wrote:

I definitely plan on doing the powerpoint presentation even though I know it will be very difficult. The essay prompt is all about pushing yourself and broadening perspectives. It seems almost like a trap giving you the option of writing an essay when what they really want is creativity and depth.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts