Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: How to evaluate a Business School [#permalink]
finmaster wrote:
Well, it depends. Here's how I zeroed on on the schools I am going to apply to:

2. I'm not going to spend $160,000 on a not-so-good school. I'd rather not go for the MBA. That pretty much limits the schools to the top 15-16 of the rankings.

6. For me, personally, fit is important but it is not something I'd base my decision to apply on. If, touch-wood, I get admitted to more than one program, then probably fit will kick in.

As of now, when I am at the application stage, fit doesn't matter. I want an MBA from a top school, fit or no fit. As long as I remain an applicant without an offer form a top MBA program, I will consider myself a beggar and beggars can't be choosers.

In short, fit, to me, is a utopian concept which kicks in only when you have more than one admit from a top program in your hand. As long as I don't have that, I won't be in a position to explore that utopian concept.

There are very good schools outside of the top 15. Schools ranked 15-25 all offer a decent level of career opportunity on a national basis and are extremely strong within their respective regions. They also have smart and driven students. It would a mistake to think that just because a school is outside of the top 15-16 that it's a not so good school.

Also, if you don't assess fit before applying the school will do it for you when reading your application. Schools do expect you to understand YOUR fit with their program. If you haven't bothered to assess it for yourself it will show in your application. At many schools that's a fast way to land yourself in the ding w/o interview pile. A little more legwork up front can pay off dividends in terms of the effectiveness of each application you submit.
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
finmaster wrote:
Well, it depends. Here's how I zeroed on on the schools I am going to apply to:

2. I'm not going to spend $160,000 on a not-so-good school. I'd rather not go for the MBA. That pretty much limits the schools to the top 15-16 of the rankings.

6. For me, personally, fit is important but it is not something I'd base my decision to apply on. If, touch-wood, I get admitted to more than one program, then probably fit will kick in.

As of now, when I am at the application stage, fit doesn't matter. I want an MBA from a top school, fit or no fit. As long as I remain an applicant without an offer form a top MBA program, I will consider myself a beggar and beggars can't be choosers.

In short, fit, to me, is a utopian concept which kicks in only when you have more than one admit from a top program in your hand. As long as I don't have that, I won't be in a position to explore that utopian concept.

There are very good schools outside of the top 15. Schools ranked 15-25 all offer a decent level of career opportunity on a national basis and are extremely strong within their respective regions. They also have smart and driven students. It would a mistake to think that just because a school is outside of the top 15-16 that it's a not so good school.

Also, if you don't assess fit before applying the school will do it for you when reading your application. Schools do expect you to understand YOUR fit with their program. If you haven't bothered to assess it for yourself it will show in your application. At many schools that's a fast way to land yourself in the ding w/o interview pile. A little more legwork up front can pay off dividends in terms of the effectiveness of each application you submit.

1. Of course there are some very good schools beyond the top-15. However, as you continue to move down, the chances of getting good/great post-MBA employment will only slim further. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Here, see this,

https://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/28/fi ... a-interns/

Of course it's for interns and of course it's for 2011. Nevertheless, it gives a pretty good idea of what's in the mind of the top companies in the world.

15 is just a number. It could just as well be 16, 17 or whatever. Point is, you have to draw a line somewhere.

2. I didn't say I wouldn't assess my fit to the school. I said I won't base my decision to apply on it. I'm assessing how to portray my fit with the school, not whether I should apply to the school based on fit.

I think fit is a very fluid concept which can be defined in any number of ways.

Anyways, what's good for the goose, might not be good for the gander. I was obviously talking about myself. I'm desperate to get into a top MBA program this year. I won't base my decision to not apply to a school because I don't find the fit.

Once, touch-wood, I get accepted into more than one school, then I will probably base my decision on fit. Simply put, beggars can't be choosers.

BTW, don't you think that most of the criteria I listed above also form 'fit' for me?

I mean what is fit? It is nothing but how well a school can satisfy your ambitions, right?

My ambitions are all summarized above. Any school that helps me in the above listed points, is a great fit for me.

Fit is an adaptive concept. All I want is great employment opportunities post-MBA. That's it. I don't want anything else.

If I'm not good enough to adapt even that much to the circumstances of the school that admits me, honestly, I don't deserve to be a manager.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
syog wrote:
3) Employment Stats

The other VERY important piece of information you will get from the school websites (in most cases) are the employment stats. You obviously have a goal (or goals) in mind when you apply to the program. The employment stats which the schools provide will let you see if the industry and companies you are targeting post MBA actually hire at the specific program you want to apply to. Even if they don't, it is entirely possible to do your own networking and get the interviews, but ideally you want the companies to come to campus for recruiting. In my case I mostly applied to the programs which were "target schools" for the companies I wanted to work at post-MBA.

I'm an economist, so I think this is really all it boils down to. Everything about business school can be quantified in terms of your future salary. All the rankings, extracurriculars, faculty, etc. are only there to endow you with greater earning power.

That said, you have to take a more nuanced view than you'll get just by looking at employment reports. A lot of people will look at a school's report and say something like "25% of the class goes into management consulting, so therefore if I go to this school I have a 25% chance of getting that job and getting their median salary". That's not how it works.

Related to this, you also need to look at cost of attendance. You can't measure ROI if you don't measure the I. Tuition will be broadly similar for most schools, but there are other components- e.g. cost of living, scholarships, tuition remission opportunities, in-state discounts. People seem to underestimate how significant $150-200k of student loans will be.

Fit is an important differentiator between two roughly equal schools. I love my undergrad alma mater and I know I would fit in great, but they don't offer exit opportunities in my industry, so I'm not going there. If I'm choosing between Harvard and Stanford, then fit comes into the equation.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
finmaster wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

1. Of course there are some very good schools beyond the top-15. However, as you continue to move down, the chances of getting good/great post-MBA employment will only slim further. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Here, see this,

https://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/28/fi ... a-interns/

Of course it's for interns and of course it's for 2011. Nevertheless, it gives a pretty good idea of what's in the mind of the top companies in the world.

15 is just a number. It could just as well be 16, 17 or whatever. Point is, you have to draw a line somewhere.

2. I didn't say I wouldn't assess my fit to the school. I said I won't base my decision to apply on it. I'm assessing how to portray my fit with the school, not whether I should apply to the school based on fit.

I think fit is a very fluid concept which can be defined in any number of ways.

Anyways, what's good for the goose, might not be good for the gander. I was obviously talking about myself. I'm desperate to get into a top MBA program this year. I won't base my decision to not apply to a school because I don't find the fit.

Once, touch-wood, I get accepted into more than one school, then I will probably base my decision on fit. Simply put, beggars can't be choosers.

BTW, don't you think that most of the criteria I listed above also form 'fit' for me?

I mean what is fit? It is nothing but how well a school can satisfy your ambitions, right?

My ambitions are all summarized above. Any school that helps me in the above listed points, is a great fit for me.

Fit is an adaptive concept. All I want is great employment opportunities post-MBA. That's it. I don't want anything else.

If I'm not good enough to adapt even that much to the circumstances of the school that admits me, honestly, I don't deserve to be a manager.

You are right that fit is not a concrete concept. It's definitely fluid. I saw that myself when I was applying. I found fit with different schools for different reasons. It's not a matter of only one type of school being right for a person. However, when a school isn't right for you, you know it. Sometimes it's the size, in other situations it's the location, and in some instances it's the people you meet. The reason why people recommend doing school visits isn't really about the essays or schmoozing with the admissions officers. It's really about seeing if you can spend 2 years in that place. I thought Stern was a great school when I researched it online. I also spoke to an incoming student and a couple of alums and thought they were awesome. Then I visited and in spite of all my research that told me I would love the school I actually didn't like it at all. I couldn't see myself there for two years. It didn't fit so I didn't apply. I have met people on the other side of the equation. They may not have looked into fit on the front end then were admitted to a school only to realize later that it was not a good fit at all. If it's a situation where that's your only option that sets up quite the conundrum doesn't it.

I don't think it's a matter of not being adaptable or being an indication of management ability. If I'm going to spend $150K+ I want to do it some place I want to be. It's no different than choosing the right employer. I don't see great managers staying in work environments that aren't suited to them just to get a title and paycheck. The reason I keep encouraging you to really assess the nebulous concept of fit is because while I am sure that you are very adaptable and would be happy in several different environments I just find it doubtful that you would be happy at all of the top 15-16 schools because there are definite differences. For example, I love Kellogg's teamwork culture and energetic student body. Other people find all of the cheer at Kellogg to be excessive and don't want to do everything in teams. Can Kellogg help that person reach their career goals? Of course! But it just might not be the right place for them to do so. So why bother applying?
GMAT Club Bot