Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Changing jobs during the application cycle? [#permalink]
I'd say take up the job and take a call a month before the start of the program as to whether you want to ditch the job and join the program.Don't mention this change to the adcom UNLESS you're certain that it'll make a significant positive impression on your app. I'm assuming that you'll have to have paid your deposit well before then in any case.
You'll be better off for the experience, and can always bullshit about why you took it up, why you felt this was the right time to do the mba, why the job wasn't all that you thought it'd be....

I went through the same thing last year. I got an offer in in a small firm in my target industry. I actually got the offer a day before my interview with the only school that I had applied to. I had only 5 months left before the start of the program, and was planning on taking up the job for 5 months before quitting and joining the program (I was pretty confident that I'd get in). Being that dumb ass that I was, I ended up explaining my whole situation in the interview with the school, and we ended up agreeing that it'd be best if I try out this new job for at least a year. Reasoning was that the experience would not only help me ascertain if this was the right fit, but also be invaluable for future employment in the industry; I couldn't argue with that.
It's been a year since I switched jobs, and I'm loving the job, and the whole experience that comes with it. I couldn't bring myself to applying this season since I want to experience another year on this job. :roll:

mba2014hopeful wrote:
I'm in the middle of applications and have received a new job offer. I would be moving to a much smaller company but would be gaining work experience in a new area/industry that I want to be in, with added responsibilities and higher salary.

Will it look bad to admissions that I'm switching jobs at this point in the application cycle? If applications go well, I'll only be at this job for less than six months and I'm sure I'll have to explain that at some point.

Any advice is appreciated.

//Admins -- if this is posted in the wrong forum, please move it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Another factor to weigh is do you have any desire to work at this company post MBA? If you don't then don't worry how they will react, but if you leave after 6 months to go to a full-time MBA, and people know it was your intention to do so all along, and they will know this, you will burn bridges with the people that hired you. This may be important or it may not, but it should be a consideration.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Another factor to weigh is do you have any desire to work at this company post MBA? If you don't then don't worry how they will react, but if you leave after 6 months to go to a full-time MBA, and people know it was your intention to do so all along, and they will know this, you will burn bridges with the people that hired you. This may be important or it may not, but it should be a consideration.

I would also state that this job should support your reasons for getting an MBA you discuss in your essays (i.e. I want to switch industries). If you are in operations, the new job is in consulting, but you want to go into finance post-MBA, you will look like someone without a clear plan or someone that is just trying to seek $$$, which will be huge red flags. However, if you are in operations, the new role is in consulting, and you write about wanting to transition to consulting, this may strengthen your application because it supports the story you are trying to craft.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I am not sure that this is the best place to post this question but here goes. I am currently a commercial banker looking to get into consulting. I believe an MBA from a good program will help me get into the industry at the consultant level more effectively/quickly than clawing from an analyst position on up. My thought is that if I get into a good feeder school, I have a better chance of landing a summer internship and then FT position. However, I have heard conflicting opinions on that notion.

I was referred to Deloitte's DCIP program, which as I understand it gives MBA hopefuls the chance to land an internship pre-MBA and then a possible full-time position. This sounds great for me, but when I reached out to a current Deloitte employee, he said that I should just send him my resume and apply to a position and go from there. OK, well I am applying for MBA Fall 2013 at various schools, prepping to hit mid-700s on GMAT (hitting low 700s on practices and dedicating a couple of months before taking official), and now applying to consulting firms. The juggle is tough. Does anyone have any advice for the best way to approach this situation or the juggle? In my opinion, I believe I should continue on my path of applying to B-School and if I get a job offer from a firm then great - evaluate the offer the chance of advancement from getting an MBA, etc.

This series of questions is admittedly scatter. Thanks in advance for picking through and lending your opinion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
jerembo wrote:
I am not sure that this is the best place to post this question but here goes. I am currently a commercial banker looking to get into consulting. I believe an MBA from a good program will help me get into the industry at the consultant level more effectively/quickly than clawing from an analyst position on up. My thought is that if I get into a good feeder school, I have a better chance of landing a summer internship and then FT position. However, I have heard conflicting opinions on that notion.

I was referred to Deloitte's DCIP program, which as I understand it gives MBA hopefuls the chance to land an internship pre-MBA and then a possible full-time position. This sounds great for me, but when I reached out to a current Deloitte employee, he said that I should just send him my resume and apply to a position and go from there. OK, well I am applying for MBA Fall 2013 at various schools, prepping to hit mid-700s on GMAT (hitting low 700s on practices and dedicating a couple of months before taking official), and now applying to consulting firms. The juggle is tough. Does anyone have any advice for the best way to approach this situation or the juggle? In my opinion, I believe I should continue on my path of applying to B-School and if I get a job offer from a firm then great - evaluate the offer the chance of advancement from getting an MBA, etc.

This series of questions is admittedly scatter. Thanks in advance for picking through and lending your opinion.

From what I know, the DCIP (the conf, and internship) require that you have been accepted to an MBA program already and are matriculating in the fall (takes place annually in july). So, I dont think you can apply to that yet...

If you have connections at Deloitte, why not try to land a job there pre-MBA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
What about taking another job within the same company? Lets say: different site, better title, more $$ and responsibilities. What if it was similar to the current position (same functional area), but involves a little more international travel?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
What about taking another job within the same company? Lets say: different site, better title, more $$ and responsibilities. What if it was similar to the current position (same functional area), but involves a little more international travel?

Sounds like you could sell that as a promotion to me, which is obviously a good thing!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good question, highwyre - I would likely take a job, if I land one. I guess I am requesting advice on how to manage all of these things and do them well. Study 15-20 hours per week, work 50+ hours per week, work on B-school apps and job apps. Seems daunting. I guess I really am not sure how likely it is that I could land a job at a bigger consulting firm, but I feel pretty confident in gaining admission to a top 10+ B-school (assuming a mid-700 GMAT). I just need to learn how to find a balance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

Sounds like you could sell that as a promotion to me, which is obviously a good thing!

Yes and no. Its in a different department, diff location, different management, etc I would actively have to pursue this job like an external applicant. But the basics of what I would do don't change much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
I apologize for the lengthy post, but I would love to hear people's thoughts on my situation...

In July 2011, after having worked in retail banking (primarily in consumer and commercial lending) for a community bank for the past 5 years, I relocated and took a new job in November 2011, (increasing my salary compared to my previous position, along with a better title,) with a multinational bank (in a similar industry.) I was planning on staying at this job and sitting out the 2011-2012 app season and then applying to 3-4 schools in round 1 and then 3-4 schools in round 2 depending on the round 1 results.

This past April, I was approached by another company about a different job. I was attracted to both the increase in salary and the job (again similar industry but a much more analytical / quantitative role compared to my previous roles.) I ended up taking the job and I started in May.

The good news is that in a pretty short amount of time, (roughly 6 months,) I've managed to almost double my salary and have an overall better job and better sounding title (I know title isn't everything, but it doesn't hurt in my case.) I think this is important for me in terms of demonstrating career progression, (career stagnation was a weakness in my applications when I applied in round 3 of 2011.)

Unfortunately, I had to complete a relatively lengthy training program, and it wasn't until early July where I started the actual job functions and responsibilities.

I think I have three options at this point:

Option 1: Apply in rounds 1 and 2
Pros:
- I would be able to apply to a wide range of schools about 6-8, spread across two different rounds.
- I get to apply in round 1, giving me the best opportunity at admission

Cons:
-Since I just started this new position, I would be highly unlikely to secure a recommendation from my current employer, (as I said, I just completed the initial training and was just assigned to a team.)
-I would have to rely on previous supervisors for recommendations.
-I wouldn't have much to write about in my essays with respect to the new job since I am just getting started.

2nd option: Apply in round 2
Pros:
-By the time I ask for recommendations, (December for January deadlines,) several months will have passed, potentially enabling me to secure a recommendation from my current employer.
-I would also have the chance to make an impact and glean a story or two from this job for my essays.

Cons:
-I would have to be much more selective in the schools I apply to, as there is no way I would want to do more than 4 schools in a round.
-I still would have only been with my current employer for about 7-8 months, and even less if you discount the almost two months spent training, they may take offense to me leaving so soon (if I ask for a recommendation.)

3rd option:
Hold off and apply in 2013-2014
Pros:
-See pros from 1st option.
-I also could earn a promotion, take on more leadership roles, and be able to tell those stories.
-I could also be able to get recommendations from multiple people at my current employer as opposed to relying on previous recommenders, giving me more selectivity in who I choose.

Cons:
-I'm 30 right now, and will be 31 upon matriculation if I apply this year. Waiting another year puts me another year over the median age of most students at most schools.
-While my current job reflects progression in both responsibility, salary, and title, it is still not something I'm passionate about, hence my MBA aspirations.

Personally, I think it's down to options 2 and 3, with me leaning toward option 2.
Director
Director
Send PM
jerembo wrote:
Good question, highwyre - I would likely take a job, if I land one. I guess I am requesting advice on how to manage all of these things and do them well. Study 15-20 hours per week, work 50+ hours per week, work on B-school apps and job apps. Seems daunting. I guess I really am not sure how likely it is that I could land a job at a bigger consulting firm, but I feel pretty confident in gaining admission to a top 10+ B-school (assuming a mid-700 GMAT). I just need to learn how to find a balance.

I hear ya, and theres no easy solution...
Currently On my plate:
Apps for B-School, luckily done with the gmat, but still everything else that goes into it,
Busting my ass at work to get a promotion and prove myself to a new boss,
Just moved into a new apartment - so all the packing and unpacking that goes along with that...
AND
I'm getting married in 2 months(who knew how much work that was...). This means every single weekend if full of planning, and showers, and picking up that stupid customized cake topper an hour away that the Fiancee HAD TO have...

How do you manage all that... I have no eFFing clue... but you do... Honestly, consulting firms create MBA candidates and employ MBA graduates, so, the same resume, and same style of writing and vision should be perfect for applying to those types of jobs, you wont even need to put on a different writing hat. You'll do it, just stay focused.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks highwyre - way to put it in perspective for me. I couldn't imagine juggling the wedding planning. I didn't mention that I live with my girlfriend and we have a couple pets so managing time with them and the other stuff is challenging. I didn't mention that because I figured I would be inviting a storm of responses from married parents dealing with [i]actual [i]on top of their MBA aspirations. So, thank you for helping me come to grips with reality, which is - dealing with this is a good preview of how to handle the high demands of a job in consulting. Embrace and perform.

I am actually really fortunate. While taking the Kaplan online course, I spent 2 nights/week away from my girlfriend for a couple months (I would stay at work twice a week and return from home when she was already in bed). I scored a 690 and was happy with the progress but not fulfilled. I was hungry, and so I called Kaplan, asked to retake the class. So now, my girlfriend is taking the class, while I do a self-guided MGMAT course (an actual self-guided approach, I ordered all the study guides and road map and somehow found the complete course syllabus online). So we can actually share time doing this stuff. It isn't the best study time (I am constantly stopping to help her understand things) but it is good bonding time. Plus, she is competitive and reasonable so she understands when I want to spend more time on a subject or stay late at work to review a CAT for a bit. So I am pretty lucky there.

I will be happy when I am done with GMAT so I can focus more attention on job and b-school apps. In the meantime, I can only hope that I have enough energy to fight off the calls for me to get down on one knee. I could not imagine dealing with that on top of all of this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh highwyre - almost forgot. Congratulations! Will your wife to be relocating with you if need be for B-School?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
doggdetroit wrote:
3rd option:
Hold off and apply in 2013-2014
Pros:
-See pros from 1st option.
-I also could earn a promotion, take on more leadership roles, and be able to tell those stories.
-I could also be able to get recommendations from multiple people at my current employer as opposed to relying on previous recommenders, giving me more selectivity in who I choose.

Cons:
-I'm 30 right now, and will be 31 upon matriculation if I apply this year. Waiting another year puts me another year over the median age of most students at most schools.
-While my current job reflects progression in both responsibility, salary, and title, it is still not something I'm passionate about, hence my MBA aspirations.

Personally, I think it's down to options 2 and 3, with me leaning toward option 2.

I would say that a Pro to add to option 3 would be "allowing myself time to focus a higher portion of my efforts to my new position vs. working on apps and new position" This approach could feed into more productivity, quicker promotion and larger group of stories from which to glean. I believe a more compelling case in terms of experience and recommendations far out weigh any disadvantages associated with being 1 year older - especially if the feedback you've received is that career stagnation was an issue.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:

Yes and no. Its in a different department, diff location, different management, etc I would actively have to pursue this job like an external applicant. But the basics of what I would do don't change much.

I did this last year. I was offered a higher position in a different department (also a different site) with the same company in October, a month after I submitted my first app. I accepted it, and I worked with the new group for four months before I quit. I made them aware of the fact that I was likely on my way out before I accepted the offer though.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
quote="threestripes"] I did this last year. I was offered a higher position in a different department (also a different site) with the same company in October, a month after I submitted my first app. I accepted it, and I worked with the new group for four months before I quit. I made them aware of the fact that I was likely on my way out before I accepted the offer though.[/quote]

Thats interesting. I am contemplating the same thing, however, this would probably end up happening before R1 deadlines. I dont know if its wise to disclose this information to the new management, only because I dont know how the application process will play out.

I guess this is something that should be addressed in a B-school interview?
Director
Director
Send PM
jerembo wrote:
Oh highwyre - almost forgot. Congratulations! Will your wife to be relocating with you if need be for B-School?

Ha, thanks! I'm hoping she'll be coming. She has a great job at a college right now, but is also trying to launch her own small busienss... so it depends. If she wants to stay in academia, we're hoping she'll be able to get a job at whichever school I get into...

Also, it depends where I go, she loves a few places (NYC, Hanover) and isnt excited about others (Ann Arbor, Durham). Having a soon to be wife adds a whole other level to picking the right fit.

Being with someone who's supportive of the process is important though, and I think it would be a bit tougher without her. I agree, this will all be a great test for how to deal with the hectic schedule of an B-school student, and potentially a consultant.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2