Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [186]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Retired Moderator
Status:<strong>Go crazy and use every bit of potential.</strong>
Affiliations: Many NGOs!
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink]
Kudos
One kudos for you!

I have a question regarding locating any detail or inference key words.

When reading the passage, I try to figure out the objective of each passage and summarize each passage within a few words.
However, I have a hard time writing down the key words as to easily find their location when solving any detail question.

For me, it is not easy to write down any key words while figuring out and summarizing each passage, or it takes too much time.

Do you please have any suggestion for me to improve on locating any key words?
I can't imagine anything other than just keep practicing.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Great tips about note taking! Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I am glad that I got this article to read.
I am trying to build up my confidence on RC section and certainly the approach mentioned here will help me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
i have been studying for GMAT for 3-4 month now.
i resisted taking notes and relied on Memory Maping to solve RC and CR.
The accuracy level wasn't consistent and in tough passages it drops significantly.

For last 1-2 week i am using the MGMAT suggested abbreviated notes with close to 100% accuracy.
I have decided to use the abbreviated notes in exam too.
My exam is in within 20 days from now.
My worry is that the reading some time get into the 4-5 minutes range for really tough or long passages.
Same for CR, almost always CR takes 2+ minutes to solve.
I am skeptical if i will be able to use it in the exam without ending up with guesses in the end?

Any tips to reduce the RC reading time in less than 3 minute range and CR in less than 90 seconds range?
My SC average time is also in 100+ seconds range for easy and medium difficulty q and approximately 2 minute in hard problems.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
bgs4gmat - Thanks for the insight. I always used to scribble notes and they ended up being ultimately useless: I would still need to refer to the passage to answer each and every question. I just finished Ch. 1 of RC Strategy Guideline from MGMAT. I am excited to kill that section on the next GMAT attempt. My suggestion for RC time reduction is to refer back to something the MGMAT emphasizes in that first chapter. I know that I am no expert, I am only through Ch 1. But what they emphasize (and that which resonated with me deeply) is the importance of increasing your reading speed as you get through the passage, focusing only on the first sentence or two in the final paragraph, looking for surprises/changes, results/outcomes. I haven't even practiced this yet. But I wonder if in your quest to take good notes (that evidently prove to be fruitful) you forget to speed through the second half / bottom portion of the passage. I wonder if the questions that pertain to that which you'll find in the bottom portion of the passage can't be answered by just referring back. I also wonder if you're more likely to face questions about the overall purpose of the passage and specific detail questions. If this is true then this could be a reason why MGMAT encourages you to speed through the middle - end (once you've obtained a good handle on the structure of the paragraphs, the purpose of the passage and the main point).

I would say another big help, could be to reduce your SC time. I too struggle with timing on RC and CR, but SC can be reduced to 60-90 seconds on medium to hard problems with some concentrated study. That could save precious time on RC and CR.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi rjacobs,

Very good article. I have a question.

I was previously thinking that inference questions to be disguised detail question for which one has to find proof sentences in the psg and which will be explicitly stated (some degree less compared to other detail question) in the psg--Please correct me if I am wrong.

Is there a way to pick a right answer when one is struck with only 2 choices especially for tough inference type questions where the information in the ans choices is not contained in the psg but are mostly an extension of the ideas stated in the passage which one has to infer? If so please suggest.

Thanks,

harikris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
jerembo wrote:
bgs4gmat - Thanks for the insight. I always used to scribble notes and they ended up being ultimately useless: I would still need to refer to the passage to answer each and every question. I just finished Ch. 1 of RC Strategy Guideline from MGMAT. I am excited to kill that section on the next GMAT attempt. My suggestion for RC time reduction is to refer back to something the MGMAT emphasizes in that first chapter. I know that I am no expert, I am only through Ch 1. But what they emphasize (and that which resonated with me deeply) is the importance of increasing your reading speed as you get through the passage, focusing only on the first sentence or two in the final paragraph, looking for surprises/changes, results/outcomes. I haven't even practiced this yet. But I wonder if in your quest to take good notes (that evidently prove to be fruitful) you forget to speed through the second half / bottom portion of the passage. I wonder if the questions that pertain to that which you'll find in the bottom portion of the passage can't be answered by just referring back. I also wonder if you're more likely to face questions about the overall purpose of the passage and specific detail questions. If this is true then this could be a reason why MGMAT encourages you to speed through the middle - end (once you've obtained a good handle on the structure of the paragraphs, the purpose of the passage and the main point).

I would say another big help, could be to reduce your SC time. I too struggle with timing on RC and CR, but SC can be reduced to 60-90 seconds on medium to hard problems with some concentrated study. That could save precious time on RC and CR.

In RC, i do take abbreviated notes but it seems problem is with my reading. Unknowingly, I try to understand the passage as if i can answer Q from my memory without looking back at passage. Need to practice more to master the RC :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
Send PM
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:

Manhattan GMAT Experts Share Insight on How to Read RC Passages

[size=100][color=#7b0046]In honor of “RC Week” we’ve got an article today on reading – specifically, what to do and look for during the initial few minutes after a reading comprehension passage pops up on the screen...
[*](4) When you review your work, also review how you read and took notes on the passage.[/list]

Hi rjacobsMGMAT,

My trouble is, I loose my concentration in between while reading any passage; and the loosing of concentration happens largely if the RC discusses something which is abstruse to me by its comprehension. And then I used to re-read and consume much time than expected. Which in turn, causes my very poor performance in RC.
Could you please help me to find the solution, as it dreads me when I see RC pops up in my screen?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Quote:
Analyzing your work

Everyone already knows that it’s important to review your work on the problems you do, but did you know that it’s also important to review how you read and take your notes? When you’re done with a passage and the associated questions, start your review with the passage itself. When you were done reading (but before you answered questions), what did you think The Point was? What did you think the purpose of each paragraph was? Did that knowledge or understanding change as you worked your way through the questions?
If you misunderstood something after the first read-through, why do you think you misunderstood it? Did you read too quickly and overlook something? Did you not take the time to rephrase what you read? Was the language too hard – were there words or idiomatic expressions that you didn’t know? How could you do this better next time?
Next, match your initial notes to your current knowledge of what information is contained in the passage. Were you able to find the right paragraph easily when answering a specific question? If not, why not? What should you have jotted down on the initial read-through to make that easier? Conversely, did you have too much information jotted down? Maybe you were able to answer a specific question just from your notes, or maybe you had a lot of detail written down that you never had to use. If so, you wrote down too much information and likely spent too much time on the initial read-through.
Could you have abbreviated even more? Write down what that might have looked like. In general, if you feel your notes were fairly far from your “ideal” for any reason, then re-write the notes the way you should have written them the first time.

Something really valuable Ryan!Thanks for sharing!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Hi Jacobs!!!
What is the best strategy to answer the main idea and inference Questions. Is pre-thinking necessary or we can just attack the Options and eliminate? Do u have any strategy to answer each type of RC Questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
hi Ryan

Could you please provide an example how to make abbreviated notes. It would be great help.

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
a non native speaker, like me, have difficulty reading a long sentence, specifically the first or second sentence in the first passage in the test day.

non natives feel the sentence is too long to understand.

to solve this problem, I did an excercise, in which we find an error in each line of passage, created by my teacher. This homework is good because we have to analyze the sentences many times before we find the errors. analyzing sentences many times help read quickly and be able to read long sentences similar to those in gmat passages.

the key is how to read a long sentence, for non native.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
so, how to deal with questions of application.
one example is which of the following is consistent with....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink]
SUMMARY/ TL;DR

Goals:

Short passage: read in 2 min; Long passage: read in 3 min ->not every word
• “General” question: 1 min
• “Specific” question: 1.5 min (90 sec)
• Need to understand point (reason author is writing) not just general topic
• Need to understand purpose of each paragraph -> each has one distinct purpose (usually in 1st or 2nd sentence)
• Exception: passage is one long paragraph -> mentally split passage
• DO NOT dive into detail -> time constraint

Do not want to understand detail?

• Only get 3-4 questions per passage -> not all detail relevant -> goal: know where to find detail -> look up detail depending on question
• Initially skip unknown words

Initial Read-through:

• Point usually in 1 sentence (or 2 that need to be combined)
• Often in first few or last few sentences
Rephrase 1st and 2nd sentence in your mind (note) ->once read enough to understand purpose of paragraph skim the rest
• When skimming distinct: 1. More of the same or 2. Is something new? (contradiction, change of direction, etc.) -> Pay more attention to something new (note)
• Repeat (can skim more aggressively after 1st paragraph)
• Lastly articulate point to yourself

Taking notes:

• Should be heavily abbreviated!

Analyzing your work:

• Not only important review answers to problems, BUT ALSO HOW READ and TOOK NOTES
Review:
- After reading what did you think point was and what did you think purpose of each paragraph was? Did that change?
- If misunderstood something at first, why did you misunderstand? How could improve?
- Able to find right paragraph easily answering specific question? Why not? What should have written down? Wrote too much? Could have abbreviated more?
- Rewrite improved version of notes

Take-aways:

1. Do NOT want to know everything passage says.
2. Goals:
(a) Find point
(b) Find purpose of each paragraph
(c) Know where to find different kinds of detail

3. Practice timing and practice abbreviating
4. Also review how you read and took notes on the passage
GMAT Club Bot
How to Read a Reading Comp Passage [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert