Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [23]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [19]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Given Kudos: 119
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20713 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: Administrative executive: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as citizen [#permalink]
gmt1 wrote:
Administrative executive: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as citizens, are not allowed to communicate what we are ready to communicate at our own expense or if other citizens are not permitted access to our communications at their own expense. Public unwillingness to provide funds for certain kinds of scientific, scholarly, or artistic activities cannot, therefore, be described as censorship.

The flawed reasoning in the admin executive's argument is most parallel to that in which one of the following?

(A) All actions that cause unnecessary harm to others are unjust: so if a just action causes harm to others, that action must be necessary.

(B) Since there is more to good manners than simply using polite forms of address, it is not possible to say on first meeting a person whether or not that person has good manners.

(C) Acrophobia, usually defined as a morbid fear of heights, can also mean a morbid fear of sharp objects. Since both fears have the same origin.

(D) There is no doubt that a deed is heroic if the doer risks his or her own life to benefit another person. Thus an action is not heroic if only thing it endangers is the reputation of the doer.

(E) Perception of beauty in an object is determined by past and present influences on the mind of the beholder. Thus on object can be called beautiful, since not everyone will see beauty in it.

Source : LSAT PrepTest 10 - February 1994 - LSAT

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION FROM POWERSCORE

Complete Question Explanation

Parallel Flaw. The correct answer choice is (D)
The stimulus contains flawed reasoning in the form of a mistaken negation.

Citizens Allowed to Communicate
..... OR ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... →..... Censorship
Citizens Permitted Access

Therefore,

Citizens Allowed to Communicate
..... AND ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... → ..... Censorship
Citizens Permitted Access
(if the public itself is unwilling to provide funds)

Since we are seeking an answer which parallels this reasoning, we should look for the choice that contains a mistaken negation.

Answer choice (A): This is not the correct answer since it is a proper contrapositive:

Actions that cause Unnecessary Harm ..... → ..... Just Action

Therefore,

Just Action ..... → ..... Actions that cause Unnecessary Harm

If a just action causes harm, then, it must be necessary since just actions never cause unnecessary harm. This is a valid reasoning, and is not the correct answer.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice does not contain a mistaken negation. The conclusion also does not match that of the stimulus.

Answer choice (C): This choice does not contain a mistaken negation. The conclusion also does not match that of the stimulus.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. It is a mistaken negation which parallels that found in the stimulus.

Doer Risks Life to Benefit Another ..... → ..... Heroic

Therefore,

Doer Risks Life to Benefit Another (if the only thing the doer risks is his reputation) ..... → ..... Heroic

It contains a mistaken negation just as the stimulus does.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice doe not reflect a mistaken negation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Government official: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as citizens, ar [#permalink]
I got it wrong but I analyzed and realized that:

here Public willing (not allowed) => Censorship (Premise)
Public unwilling => Not Censorship

Doer risks life => Deed heroic
Doer doesn't risk life (only risks reputation) => Deed NOT heroic

So, D is the correct answer
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Government official: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as citizens, ar [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts