Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hey everyone,

I will be attending Yale SOM this Fall (class of 2014) and though I haven't yet arrived in New Haven, please let me know if I can help answer any general questions about the admissions process.

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
PD2012 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I will be attending Yale SOM this Fall (class of 2014) and though I haven't yet arrived in New Haven, please let me know if I can help answer any general questions about the admissions process.

Best of luck!

Hello! What round did you apply? How quickly did you get invited interview after applying? (and after interview, about acceptance?)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

Like PD2012, I'm also a member of the SOM Class of 2014. Here to throw my hat in to answer any questions from an applicant perspective. Can't speak to a current student perspective yet, but will probably be able to answer questions here and there throughout the academic year, pending not being too insane.

MYCambridge wrote:
Despite being ranked in top 10 by USN, Yale does not seem to place its graduates much better than schools ranked around 11-16. Aside from having better GMAT/GPA stats, what makes Yale superior to other T16 schools? Some even told me Johnson, more established than SOM, has a better reputation in business in general.

Can't attest to that person's experience re: Johnson v. Yale, though from a 'reputation' standpoint, I've heard that the two schools are very different when it comes to curriculum and specialization, but similar when it comes to culture and student makeup. All the same, it's kind of like comparing apples to apple pears.

I also don't think that SOM is 'superior' to the other schools in the T16, at least not in the 'students are better, curriculum is better' kind of way. It may be a factor of being closely integrated with Yale U., or datapoints such as alumni giving (it's 2nd to Tuck), selectivity, or just name recognition bias. In my personal view, none of this really matters. I think what you'll want to do with SOM is visit and see for yourself if it's a place you'll be able to thrive, otherwise, everything else regarding placement is checkboxes: Does Yale place at MBB? Yes. IB/PE/Wealth Management? Yes. Leading CPG or Luxury Companies? Yes. The school as a whole is a great school, but this will also be true of the rest of the T16. Don't let the ranking drive your decision-making.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Count me in as well. I like their essay structures, where they want 5 mini essays rather than 2 or 3 long ones.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
notferprofit wrote:

Hello! What round did you apply? How quickly did you get invited interview after applying? (and after interview, about acceptance?)

Hey there!

I applied R2 on 1/05 (application deadline), received the interview invitation on 1/27, interviewed on 2/10, and received the acceptance phone call on 3/22 (decision deadline).

Also, OhDenny is an awesome resource (and cool dude!). Everyone should check out the story about his path to Yale SOM - it's loaded with insights & gems:

https://thesenator2014.wordpress.com/201 ... -part-one/
(part 1 of 3, check out the link at the bottom for the others)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
I am definitely in. A convenient/easy visit to New Haven from NYC!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
I'm in too..looking to apply in Round 1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
Hi All,

Like PD2012, I'm also a member of the SOM Class of 2014. Here to throw my hat in to answer any questions from an applicant perspective. Can't speak to a current student perspective yet, but will probably be able to answer questions here and there throughout the academic year, pending not being too insane.

MYCambridge wrote:
Despite being ranked in top 10 by USN, Yale does not seem to place its graduates much better than schools ranked around 11-16. Aside from having better GMAT/GPA stats, what makes Yale superior to other T16 schools? Some even told me Johnson, more established than SOM, has a better reputation in business in general.

Can't attest to that person's experience re: Johnson v. Yale, though from a 'reputation' standpoint, I've heard that the two schools are very different when it comes to curriculum and specialization, but similar when it comes to culture and student makeup. All the same, it's kind of like comparing apples to apple pears.

I also don't think that SOM is 'superior' to the other schools in the T16, at least not in the 'students are better, curriculum is better' kind of way. It may be a factor of being closely integrated with Yale U., or datapoints such as alumni giving (it's 2nd to Tuck), selectivity, or just name recognition bias. In my personal view, none of this really matters. I think what you'll want to do with SOM is visit and see for yourself if it's a place you'll be able to thrive, otherwise, everything else regarding placement is checkboxes: Does Yale place at MBB? Yes. IB/PE/Wealth Management? Yes. Leading CPG or Luxury Companies? Yes. The school as a whole is a great school, but this will also be true of the rest of the T16. Don't let the ranking drive your decision-making.

Thanks. From what I understand, Yale seems to push very hard to improve their IBD placements and the likes, but in terms of corporate ties, it still lags behind Johnson, Stern, Ross, Fuqua, etc. Is it because the school is way too young and its alumni network is very small? Is it safe to assume that one would be better off attending a more established school in the T16 than Yale if one's goal is to enter the corporate world (not going to IBD or NPO)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
Count me in as well. I like their essay structures, where they want 5 mini essays rather than 2 or 3 long ones.

Dbalks,

Any particular reason you wanna go to an Ivy only and nowhere else for your MBA?

I see that you've listed only ivies as your prospective schools
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
MYCambridge wrote:
Thanks. From what I understand, Yale seems to push very hard to improve their IBD placements and the likes, but in terms of corporate ties, it still lags behind Johnson, Stern, Ross, Fuqua, etc. Is it because the school is way too young and its alumni network is very small? Is it safe to assume that one would be better off attending a more established school in the T16 than Yale if one's goal is to enter the corporate world (not going to IBD or NPO)?

That's gonna be a question for the CDO (Career Development Office), who'll have a much more specific sense of stats. I'm going the entrepreneurial track, so I didn't research placements too heavily. (Yale has an excellent entrepreneurial track, for those who are interested.) From what I understand, the school does lag a bit behind, say, Ross and Fuqua, primarily because, as you noted, the network is small, and the class size itself is also small. However, I wouldn't say that it is drastically behind other schools, and though it is younger than, say, Harvard and Wharton, the name Yale seems to carry a lot of weight with Yale College/Law/Medicine/other schools alums, and has generally good name recognition worldwide. As for corporate placements, all of the usual suspects (at least for the Northeast AND Silicon Valley/Seattle) recruit at SOM. Maybe they don't recruit as heavily, because the pool is smaller, but you can see all of the orgs that hire here: https://mba.yale.edu/MBA/careers/employm ... ions.shtml, (at least one person in the last 2 years has gotten hired for either a summer position, a full-time offer, or both). The other thing is that the corporate placements from Yale may be a bit less competitive internally - lots of folks are going non-traditional paths, whether that is entrepreneurship, start-ups, NGO's, Central Banking, or social venture funds - so you may not have to jostle as heavily to get a slot at DuPont, L'Oreal, Amazon, or MTV Networks. If what you care most about is the sheer number of people who get placed at a specific company, say, Google, Ross or Fuqua may be a better choice. But also make sure you look at the percentages. If 15 people from Ross and 7 from Yale went to Google, it's pretty much a wash, as Ross's class size is about twice that of SOM.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Let the Yale application cycle begin! Good luck all :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
I applied last year and was dinged without interview. I'd like to apply again but I'm unsure about the reasons for the ding. I believed that I had a strong application that included work as a founder of a non profit. What may be an avenue to identify the ding reasons?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
jk12 wrote:
I applied last year and was dinged without interview. I'd like to apply again but I'm unsure about the reasons for the ding. I believed that I had a strong application that included work as a founder of a non profit. What may be an avenue to identify the ding reasons?

I believe that SOM is still offering feedback on denied applicants, or at least it has in the past. Typically, if you wait until July 1st, (so, now, but do it as soon as you can), you can e-mail the AdCom (I think it's admissions@mba.yale.edu) with a nicely-worded request for feedback, and they'll get back to you on what areas you may want to focus on in your reapplication. I received helpful feedback twice as a reapplicant.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Quote:

Dbalks,

Any particular reason you wanna go to an Ivy only and nowhere else for your MBA?

I see that you've listed only ivies as your prospective schools

Zirconium,

I kind of like the schools in the Northeast to be honest, and they are some of the better ones. I am not a fan of NYc so I didnt want to try NYU or Columbia. I probably will toss out Dartmouth and end up applying to MIT/Chicago, so they wont all be Ivy's.

I also see the Ivy's as some sort of validation (even tho they arent). I never really applied myself out of high school and thought those schools were better than me at the time. So kind of the second time around, I am not trying to sell myself short. But yeah, I understand it was silly to only consider Ivy's, all the schools in the top 20 are great for various reasons and fit obviously should come before any brand.

-Dbalks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
I'm definitely in round 1!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Out of curiosity, has Yale finished building the new MBA complex?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
Out of curiosity, has Yale finished building the new MBA complex?

Not quite. They are saying that it will be done by second semester of next academic year ('13 - '14), but I personally am hoping for a full year in the building. Regardless, us '14ers are going to be the first class to graduate in the building.

I can also tell you that it's looking really impressive of right now. Glass is about 1/2 up, and it looks a lot like the renderings that Norman Foster put together. There's a pretty cool video of Norman Foster speaking to SOM about his design here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjpLIJmtrBw. This is relatively recent - last 2-3 months.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts