Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Older Students' Experiences in Full Time 2 Year Programs [#permalink]
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I am 32 and will be starting at Booth in September. I have already interacted with my classmates and incoming students at other schools a great deal. Thus far I would say that the age gap isn't that noticeable. You will meet a person here or there that makes you feel like, "Wow! You're young," but for the most part I think that being a working professional evens out the age differences in people in their 20s and 30s. Also, you will be surprised by the number of 30+ students in 2 year FT programs. It's not as uncommon as some would have you believe.

Thanks for the info cheetarah
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey there.

I was 35 when I entered Kelley, and now entering my 2nd year I'm 36. The mean and median age in my class is about 28 (maybe a year older than some programs?), and there are a couple of students older than me. We do have a slew of 24-26 students (most actually from India). I don't feel old at all during the process. I think part of it will depend on how involved you are. I'm not married, and even being an introvert, i've really tried on being one of the social organizers of our class and that has really helped. I am also a student-elected executive board member in our class and really try to help everyone become more engaged.

I feel like my experiences have really allowed me to get more out of both the in class and out of the class MBA activities.

Cheers,
Tom

Ward2012 wrote:
Hi,

I am very familiar with most top MBA programs' bias again applicants who are 30+ in age. As a 35 year old applicant, I've been told time and time again that I have a slim chance of being accepted. I'm not even sure I want to do a regular two-year program. As such, I'm applying to a few two year programs and one or two EMBAs to give myself options.

I'm more interested in the actual experience that older students in two-year programs had. For those who are/were "older" in regular full-time programs, I'd like to hear about what your experience was like being with mid to late 20 year olds? Did you start to feel like the "old person" in class or when doing activities? Did you ever wish you were with more people your own age?

I'm definitely interested in getting this perspective if anyone has anything to share.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Well being in 30s is one thing. Being an Asian, a IT guy makes the chances even slimmer. Just a thought.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Ward,

I'm 33, not quite 35 but still up there. I recently got into Tepper at CMU, and had quite a few cards stacked against me (Theater undergrad, GPA wasn't great, 680 on GMAT, work history was definitely "untraditional"). I'd say that my saving grace was that I had a great story, and some nice extracurriculars. So I wouldn't necessarily count yourself out simply due to age. I know that was one of my major concerns in applying, but I got into nearly every school I applied to. Just shore up the positive aspects, don't fret about the negatives, make connections everwhere you can on campus ahead of time (current students, clubs, admins, alumni - LinkedIn is great resource for this). Learn everything you can about the program, what you love about it, and talk about it with as many people as possible (MBA conferences, campus visits, etc.) I know that this not only helped me out in my networking, but also really helped me to hone where I wanted to go and why.

BTW, I'm chronicling my GMAT studies, pre-matriculation woes, etc. in a blog in case you might be interested.

https://www.takingontepper.blogspot.com

Good LUCK!!!

Best,
Josh
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks for the reply. I got waitlisted at four schools and was able to get feedback from all the schools. It was frustrating to hear from all my schools the same message: "there's nothing really wrong with your application, except we think the emba would be better for you." No school would ever outright say that age was the reason to deny admittance but that was the underlying message to me.

But hopefully something will work out for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Ward2012 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I got waitlisted at four schools and was able to get feedback from all the schools. It was frustrating to hear from all my schools the same message: "there's nothing really wrong with your application, except we think the emba would be better for you." No school would ever outright say that age was the reason to deny admittance but that was the underlying message to me.

Hey Ward2012,

It may have had more to do with your approach on your essays and application than your actual age. Although I'm sure your age may have been part of the issue, it probably had to do with the way you presented your future goals along with your current place in life/career. An EMBA would be great if you are looking to stay within the same company but looking to advance within that company. My approach (I'm currently 35) is that I need a full time MBA program in order to change careers and move from a technical role into a business position.
Director
Director
Send PM
Electrichazard wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:

Hey Ward2012,

It may have had more to do with your approach on your essays and application than your actual age. Although I'm sure your age may have been part of the issue, it probably had to do with the way you presented your future goals along with your current place in life/career. An EMBA would be great if you are looking to stay within the same company but looking to advance within that company. My approach (I'm currently 35) is that I need a full time MBA program in order to change careers and move from a technical role into a business position.

Thanks. I had the same message as well of changing from a technical role into a business position. I also expressed entrepreneurial goals in my essays.

I'm not saying it's impossible, and the fact that I got waitlisted shows that there's no automatic bias. but older candidates get more scrutiny and skepticism in my opinion.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
On a side note, European schools are a lot more encouraging towards the older candidates. I have met a "current" student at Manchester Business School who was 36 at that time.
Director
Director
Send PM
I forgot that the other nugget of feedback I got from schools when I asked what I could do to improve my waitlist chances is that they want to make sure that older candidates will feel comfortable socially with everyone else in the class and not feel out of place or awkward.

So I discussed how I felt about this in my essays.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
I forgot that the other nugget of feedback I got from schools when I asked what I could do to improve my waitlist chances is that they want to make sure that older candidates will feel comfortable socially with everyone else in the class and not feel out of place or awkward.

Do you feel out of place in social situations involving people from the 25-30 age group?
Director
Director
Send PM
ISSOKireloaded wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:

Do you feel out of place in social situations involving people from the 25-30 age group?

Nope. I have never felt that way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM