Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6617 [117]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [20]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [15]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: According to a recent theory, Archean-age gold-quartz vein systems wer [#permalink]
Kudos
i am not able to comprehend question number 107.
experts pl help me on this.

i was down to B and E but market E because
its mentioned that "The recently developed theory has considerable practical importance. Most of the gold deposits discovered during the original gold rushes were exposed at the Earth's surface and were found because they had shed trails of alluvial gold that were easily traced by simple prospecting methods"
so recent theory has led to discovered gold.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [10]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: According to a recent theory, Archean-age gold-quartz vein systems wer [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
prateek176 wrote:
Skywalker18. could you please explain the solution to Q 109?

Hi prateek176,

Quote:
According to a recent theory, Archean-age gold-quartz vein systems were formed more than two billion years ago from magmatic fluids that originated from molten granite-like bodies deep beneath the surface of the Earth.

Well, basically, we are talking about gold and how it formed. We could make it more complicated, but really all we are talking about here is a new theory about how gold-quartz formed a long time ago. Let's leave it at that and move on.

Quote:
The recently developed theory has considerable practical importance.
Although these same methods still lead to an occasional discovery, most deposits not yet discovered have gone undetected because they are buried and have no surface expression.

So now we learn that this theory will have practical importance. It will help in locating gold that is not on the surface. But this is not exactly what we are looking for. We need to find the conceptual models that relate to this new theory.

Quote:
to maximize the chances of discovery the explorer must, therefore, pay particular attention to selecting the ground formations most likely to be mineralized. Such ground selection relies to varying degrees on conceptual models, which take into account theoretical studies of relevant factors.
These models are constructed primarily from empirical observations of known mineral deposits and from theories of ore-forming processes.

In the bolded sentence we learn about the connection between the models and the theories. Notice that there is no direct mention of the theory first discussed in the passage. Rather, at this point, the author is telling us the connection between models and theories. And basically, we are told that in selecting a place to find minerals, people have to rely on conceptual models which are based on theories and other factors. So the theories form a base on which conceptual models can be built.

109. The theory mentioned in lines 1-5 relates to the conceptual models discussed in the passage in which of the following ways?

(A) It may furnish a valid account of ore-forming processes, and, hence, can support conceptual models that have great practical significance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hey could someone help me understand the correct answer for the last question? i just cant seem to crack that one
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [4]
Given Kudos: 308
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Can anyone please help me to resolve my doubt related to Question -7?

Question-7

110. According to the passage, methods of exploring for gold that are widely used today are based on which of the following facts?

(A) Most of the Earth's remaining gold deposits are still molten.
(B) Most of the Earth's remaining gold deposits are exposed at the surface.
(C) Most of the Earth's remaining gold deposits are buried and have no surface expression.
(D) Only one type of gold deposit warrants exploration, since the other types of gold deposits are found in regions difficult to reach.
(E) Only one type of gold deposit warrants exploration, since the other types of gold deposits are unlikely to yield concentrated quantities of gold.

Relevant portion of the passage:
The recently developed theory has considerable practical importance. Most of the gold deposits discovered during the original gold rushes were exposed at the Earth's surface and were found because they had shed trails of alluvial gold that were easily traced by simple prospecting methods. Although these same methods still lead to an occasional discovery, most deposits not yet discovered have gone undetected because they are buried and have no surface expression.

My analysis relevant to option C of Question-7.
Here, Last line shows the contrast that though current methods have identified (because of coincidence) some deposits that do not have surface expression, most deposits that are undetected are buried and have no surface expression. This meaning does not convey that current methods are based on this facts. Information given in the last line of 2nd paragraph is to show the reason why current method are not able to detect those deposits that do not have surface expression and why the recent discovery is important. There is no explicit or no implied connection which convey that current theory is based on this fact, i.e. Most of the Earth's remaining gold deposits are buried and have no surface expression.

Then why C is the correct answer.

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
the first question is hard.
the passage is hard to find the main idea. at first, recent theory is declared important. but there are a long paragraph to show that recent theory is important.

first, the passage say that most deposits are not discovered. the method to find out potential place is taking sample, using air photo and so on. then all methods depend on finding out the mineralized places. this finding depend on "ore forming process theory" , which is recent thory.
so, the recent theory is key because it help the models which show minerallized places, which give high chance of finding gold.

the importance of the recent theory is explained in long paragraphs, which is hard to understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Balkrishna wrote:
Can anyone please help me to resolve my doubt related to Question -7?

Question-7

110. According to the passage, methods of exploring for gold that are widely used today are based on which of the following facts?

(A) Most of the Earth's remaining gold deposits are still molten.
(B) Most of the Earth's remaining gold deposits are exposed at the surface.
(C) Most of the Earth's remaining gold deposits are buried and have no surface expression.
(D) Only one type of gold deposit warrants exploration, since the other types of gold deposits are found in regions difficult to reach.
(E) Only one type of gold deposit warrants exploration, since the other types of gold deposits are unlikely to yield concentrated quantities of gold.

Relevant portion of the passage:
The recently developed theory has considerable practical importance. Most of the gold deposits discovered during the original gold rushes were exposed at the Earth's surface and were found because they had shed trails of alluvial gold that were easily traced by simple prospecting methods. Although these same methods still lead to an occasional discovery, most deposits not yet discovered have gone undetected because they are buried and have no surface expression.

My analysis relevant to option C of Question-7.
Here, Last line shows the contrast that though current methods have identified (because of coincidence) some deposits that do not have surface expression, most deposits that are undetected are buried and have no surface expression. This meaning does not convey that current methods are based on this facts. Information given in the last line of 2nd paragraph is to show the reason why current method are not able to detect those deposits that do not have surface expression and why the recent discovery is important. There is no explicit or no implied connection which convey that current theory is based on this fact, i.e. Most of the Earth's remaining gold deposits are buried and have no surface expression.

Then why C is the correct answer.

Thanks in advance.

As I see it, most of the Gold that was easy to find has already been found. So nowadays only accoasionally someone finds gold because its visible on the surface. This implies that if anything is found nowadays, it is buried gold. (As stated in the sentence you successfully identified: ,most deposits not yet discovered have gone undetected because they are buried and have no surface expression)

Thus, the whole reason why these new methods exist is because they wanna find the gold. Well, since Gold can´t really be found anymore by seeing it on the surface, they have to find gold that is buried. So basically, all the theory, tactics and technology used is in order to find the buried gold. Which means, it is based on the fact that gold is underneath the surface. If it weren´t, the whole thing would be useless since they could just look for visible traces on the surface

Hope it helps! Kudos appreciated!
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Can someone please explain why II is incorrect in Question 8?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hi,
Can anyone please explain me the question 109? I cant decipher that.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
davidbeckham wrote:
Can someone please explain why II is incorrect in Question 8?

Hi davidbeckham,

For Question 8,

What II says: The degree to which the model chosen relies on empirical observation of known mineral deposits rather than on theories of ore-forming processes.
What is mentioned in the passage: "These models are constructed primarily from empirical observations of known mineral deposits and from theories of ore-forming processes." , we can infer that both empirical observations and theories help constructs the conceptual models.

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
LipsaTripathy wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone please explain me the question 109? I cant decipher that.

Hi LipsaTripathy,

Let me know if this helps: https://gmatclub.com/forum/according-to ... l#p2023294

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: According to a recent theory [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma

please explain ques 7 and also structure or summary of RC
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM