Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [8]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Battle: 620 – 640 – 680 – 710 [#permalink]
Congratulations on the improvement. Persistence really is important. I had the same feeling in my journey where I felt like getting a competitive score would be impossible. Glad to see you kept at it!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Hey buddy, Amazing debrief! Heartiest congrats man! You're a winner in life. Guys like you motivate us to keep going irrespective of the result. Kudos to your persistence and sincerity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congratulations man! Bravo! I take a bow on your perseverance.

Wish you the best ahead.
Cheers! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. Feel free to ask/PM more questions.

shreerajp99 wrote:
Hey congrats,thats a great score!U've really worked hard
Did u refer to earlier OG editions?What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Also,did u refer the Manhattan advanced quant guide?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

I didn't touch any OG versions before 12th Ed. I used the 12th and 13th (new questions only) - use gmat quantum to get them and the explanations. As for questions encountered, I saw the whole spectrum of questions. I can say statistically, you should focus most on # properties, algebraic translations, and word translations. These are the most common question types and you're guaranteed to see them most often.

I worked through a good amount of the advanced sections in the quant guides, but I don't think they're imperative to break 700 or 80th% on quant.

Zynga wrote:
Big Props on the awesome score increase ! your persistence paid off !
I got the exact same score on my GMAT (620) as your first attempt.
How did you manage to improve quant from 39 to 49 ?
Congrats again!

I am not here too sell his services by any means, but I credit my tutor mostly for helping me get the huge jump in quant. His name is Horacio Quiroga and he runs Prepbuddies. If you've been through MGMAT materials, it's likely you've seen his name. I would highly recommend especially if you are considering spending $$$. He will work hard to get you where you need to be.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
hookemhorns612 wrote:

I am not here too sell his services by any means, but I credit my tutor mostly for helping me get the huge jump in quant. His name is Horacio Quiroga and he runs Prepbuddies. If you've been through MGMAT materials, it's likely you've seen his name. I would highly recommend especially if you are considering spending $$$. He will work hard to get you where you need to be.

So did you not study for Quant from any other material ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Zynga wrote:
hookemhorns612 wrote:

So did you not study for Quant from any other material ?

Horacio runs his own prep shop which has study guides, practice problems, question banks etc. I also made sure I worked about 7 quant questions from the GMAT Prep extra question pack software each night. Those questions are great. I would spend about 30 to 40 min on this. 14 min to work all the questions and approx. 4 min average per question to review. Seems like a lot of time to work 7 questions, but this is really how you soak in lessons from problems and carry them forward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Ohhh.. great patience and courage..!! salute u buddddy for such a hard work and ur patience and a hope to get 700 +..

thats realy great..!!

I m going to give second attempt with in a month..got 500 in first attempt :(.. and studied same material that u did!! MGMAT ..OG 12 OG 10 not 13 ..
so what will u sugest me to improve my score? and ya i have startd powerscore cr to improve verbal score
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sanjoo wrote:
Ohhh.. great patience and courage..!! salute u buddddy for such a hard work and ur patience and a hope to get 700 +..

thats realy great..!!

I m going to give second attempt with in a month..got 500 in first attempt :(.. and studied same material that u did!! MGMAT ..OG 12 OG 10 not 13 ..
so what will u sugest me to improve my score? and ya i have startd powerscore cr to improve verbal score

I'd have to know your splits and what you feel you struggle with. If it's verbal and your scoring very low - i could most likely advise that you find a process for CR and RC questions and stick with it. Practice that process significantly and you'll see improvement. With verbal, learning your process and the traps can really turbo boost your score to a certain point. After that you have to really improve your knowledge of the concepts.

Stick at it - you will get there. If you are struggling with quant consider some personal sessions on weak areas with a cheap tutor. They can really help you improve if you get the right person.

best of luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I'm in the same boat as you Hookemhorns, currently have a score projection of 640, 640, 710 (Q42, V45)

Rewriting August end but I'm feeling very jittery as my practice tests this time are lower than last time =(

Good to read this..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Chetangupta wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you Hookemhorns, currently have a score projection of 640, 640, 710 (Q42, V45)

Rewriting August end but I'm feeling very jittery as my practice tests this time are lower than last time =(

Good to read this..

Glad to help - I'm sure you will crush it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Way to go, you're an inspiration for all the struggling 600s out there. Just one quick question about Horacio's prep service. Is there any website for Horacio's prep services.

Good luck with your apps !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mirfan2 wrote:
Way to go, you're an inspiration for all the struggling 600s out there. Just one quick question about Horacio's prep service. Is there any website for Horacio's prep services.

Good luck with your apps !!

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding Horacios services - no website. You can find him on linkedin and connect with him. If you PM me, I'll pass his info along. I know sinking $ into gmat prep is costly seeing an established website can be comforting, but his prep co is a startup. He's taught 1000s of hrs with MGMAT including private tutoring and written study guides.

Let m know if you have any other questions.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Accept my heartiest congratulations and warm wishes for your school journey !!

Practice of official questions and understanding each answer is the most critical thing of our gmat prep. You have improved a lot and it shows your commitment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Congratz mate.

Any tips to conquer Verbal????
I am getting 45+ on Quants but fail to perform on verbal....!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 3: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
hookemhorns612,

I just want to say thank you so very much for your debrief. I sat for the GMAT for the 4rth time this past Tuesday, August 14th and I got a 700! I read your debrief last weekend and it gave me confidence to do well on the test. What you said about the thing is pretty accurate at measuring your level, so let it be REALLY hit home to me. It made me realize that if I am doing well on my practice tests at home, which I was, then I should also do well on the real test. My actual test day results were almost identical to the GMATPrep test I took at home three days beforehand.

I think your post is absolutely required reading for anyone trying to beat the GMAT.

Thanks again! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rsampson wrote:
hookemhorns612,

I just want to say thank you so very much for your debrief. I sat for the GMAT for the 4rth time this past Tuesday, August 14th and I got a 700! I read your debrief last weekend and it gave me confidence to do well on the test. What you said about the thing is pretty accurate at measuring your level, so let it be REALLY hit home to me. It made me realize that if I am doing well on my practice tests at home, which I was, then I should also do well on the real test. My actual test day results were almost identical to the GMATPrep test I took at home three days beforehand.

I think your post is absolutely required reading for anyone trying to beat the GMAT.

Thanks again! :-D

Congrats!!! Big 70 point jump and now in contention at top B schools with that score. Best of luck with your apps and good job for sticking with it.

selfAnnihilation wrote:
Congratz mate.

Any tips to conquer Verbal????
I am getting 45+ on Quants but fail to perform on verbal....!!!

I can't quite say without knowing your background or where you're scoring, but my best rec is to work the MGMAT study guides. DONT MEMORIZE THE RULES. Get comfy applying them - you'll start to notice you just do it, especially on SC corrections where you'll immediately be able to nix a couple ACs. with CR and RC, you'll notice the improvements in identifying correct answers or incorrect answers before you even read the choice.

Best of luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi. Would you mind including a reference or link for how one can "study conceptually"? I appreciate your insights.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts