Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Magoosh
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [66]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: GMAT Verbs: The Perfect Tense [#permalink]
great

I suplement some point.

according to Gmat Grammar Book by gmatclub, past perfect continuous can shows an action which begin in the past and continue into another past action. But gmat dose not test this point. forget this point.

in the sequence of 2 past actions, the latter past action can be replaced with a time frame. for example

I had succeeded gmat by JUne 2012.

is correct sentence on gmat.

past perfect never is used to show an action which begin in the past and continue in to another past action. It seems that question 3 or 13 og 12 test this point.

pls, comment/confirm.
Manager
Manager
Status:exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
thangvietnam wrote:
great

I suplement some point.

according to Gmat Grammar Book by gmatclub, past perfect continuous can shows an action which begin in the past and continue into another past action. But gmat dose not test this point. forget this point.

in the sequence of 2 past actions, the latter past action can be replaced with a time frame. for example

I had succeeded gmat by JUne 2012.

is correct sentence on gmat.

past perfect never is used to show an action which begin in the past and continue in to another past action. It seems that question 3 or 13 og 12 test this point.

pls, comment/confirm.

can you please elaborate...
mentioning the tenses you have used..
m confused...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-31-2012
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
margarette wrote:

Practice questions:

1) The corporation suffered/had suffered from consecutive quarterly losses until it hired/had hired a new CEO.

In the first sentence, the event that happened first is the corporation suffering. So we want the past perfect tense: had suffered. The more recent action, the hiring of a new CEO, should be in simple past: hired.

I read on MGMAT SC guide that past perfect should be used only when the order of events has to be made clear. In this case, isnt the order of events clear (because of the use of the word until)? So, shouldn't we use simple past?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sagiyer wrote:
margarette wrote:

Practice questions:

1) The corporation suffered/had suffered from consecutive quarterly losses until it hired/had hired a new CEO.

In the first sentence, the event that happened first is the corporation suffering. So we want the past perfect tense: had suffered. The more recent action, the hiring of a new CEO, should be in simple past: hired.

I read on MGMAT SC guide that past perfect should be used only when the order of events has to be made clear. In this case, isnt the order of events clear (because of the use of the word until)? So, shouldn't we use simple past?

That's an excellent question. If we used the simple past for both verbs, the order would be perfectly clear from the word "until", and the sentence would be 100% grammatically correct. Some people (including, apparently, MGMAT) would argue that using the past perfect vs. simple past distinction in the verbs in addition to the word "until" would be redundant ---- but in GMAT terms, that's not blatantly incorrect in the way that incorrect SC answer choices are incorrect. It's true, this is probably not an optimal example to demonstrate use of the past perfect, especially since a stronger argument can be mounted for using only the simple past tense. I would say the more important point is that you seem to have a sophisticated understanding of the past perfect, and that's what matters.

Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Must + Past Perfect (Perfective)

The modal must is not used to indicate a past obligation. Must + past perfect (perfective) is used only to indicate a logical conclusion in the past.

Jack’s car is in the driveway. He must have stayed home today.
(He probably stayed home.)

Alex is still in bed. She must have had a good time at the party.
(She probably had a good time.)

They haven’t arrived yet. They must have got caught in traffic.
(They probably got caught in traffic.)

How are have stayed, have had and haven't arrived - past perfect verb tenses?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Shashank: Sharma
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hey,

Was going through the above posts and found that someone used the following eg to illustrate the usage of Past Perfect

" Before dinner last night, I had been reviewing the accounts in my office. "
But as per Manhattan SC, we don't need to use past perfect when sequence is clear(purpose solved by using Before/After)

But I have come across many such example where both Had and words like after/before/until have been used in the same sentence while Manhattan has clearly mentioned such usage to be wrong. So can I use the technique mentioned in Manhattan when stuck between choices?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shashank8888 wrote:
Hey,

Was going through the above posts and found that someone used the following eg to illustrate the usage of Past Perfect

" Before dinner last night, I had been reviewing the accounts in my office. "
But as per Manhattan SC, we don't need to use past perfect when sequence is clear(purpose solved by using Before/After)

But I have come across many such example where both Had and words like after/before/until have been used in the same sentence while Manhattan has clearly mentioned such usage to be wrong. So can I use the technique mentioned in Manhattan when stuck between choices?

Dear Shashank8888,
First of all, remember that, unlike mathematics, grammar is not necessarily a realm of absolute black vs. white right & wrong. There are always shades of gray.

I would say that use of past perfect with another time word (before, after, until, etc.) is slightly redundant. It's slightly sub-optimal, but not out-and-out wrong. I believe what MGMAT says is that this structure would not appear as correct on the GMAT, and I believe they are completely right in this assertion. The GMAT SC adheres to exceptionally high standards. This does not make the construction 100% wrong. You will see it occasionally in sophisticated writing (NYT, WSJ, etc.) I would say, if you see a practice GMAT question source that uses this construction frequently, then this source is probably not fully aware of the standards held by the GMAT. You would be surprised how many sources of GMAT SC practice questions simply have no clue about the standards the GMAT keeps. I find it simply astonishing how many poor sources of GMAT SC there are, and it makes me sad how much unsuspecting student trust these sources.

Does all this make sense?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Shashank: Sharma
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hey Mike, thanks for the detailed explanation.

As you mention that such usage is redundant but not 100% wrong.
So say for eg if I get stuck on the following two options, should I go for option b?(eliminating option A for redundancy)

a) Before dinner last night, I had been reviewing the accounts in my office.
b) Before dinner last night, I reviewed the accounts in my office.

You mentioned the poor knowledge about the SC rules that some of the GMAT coaching companies/websites have.
Well my Test Date is only 15 days away and Manhattan SC is the only source I have used for SC.

Can you please suggest some good source to brush up all the rule before the test.

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shashank8888 wrote:
Hey Mike, thanks for the detailed explanation.

As you mention that such usage is redundant but not 100% wrong.
So say for eg if I get stuck on the following two options, should I go for option b?(eliminating option A for redundancy)

a) Before dinner last night, I had been reviewing the accounts in my office.
b) Before dinner last night, I reviewed the accounts in my office.

You mentioned the poor knowledge about the SC rules that some of the GMAT coaching companies/websites have.
Well my Test Date is only 15 days away and Manhattan SC is the only source I have used for SC.

Can you please suggest some good source to brush up all the rule before the test.

Thanks

Dear Shashank8888,
As for sentence (a) & (b), I don't think the GMAT would give you something that close without some other kind of error (pronoun, idiom, etc.) to distinguish them. Most often, GMAT SC are multidimensional.
MGMAT is an excellent source. Also, take a look at this blog article:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/sequence-o ... orrection/
You will find several articles about SC, with practice questions, on that blog.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Helpful article, but what about sentence that has more than 2 or 3 verbs , I have had this issue with approaching such questions.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]