Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx   Strengthenx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6617 [220]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [83]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [28]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [11]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In real world , (D) would not work.Changing of worn out tire of luxury car require time (say a year;unlike sports cars which gets worn out in few minutes)and hence earning an upfront profit is not easy.Also , it is mentioned that just for the looks people will buy the matching company's tire compulsorily , again, it means that the sale of the stepney is a slow process.
(B) can be a good deal upfront, so that the tire manufacturer will be able to adjust profit margin through the tires for other models of car.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [5]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
analysts said that there will be no profit in this bid . .co says there will be profit due to this bid. the profit can come from some other sale than the sale to company

hence D ,

A was a strong contender but its not mentioned that spare tyre was part of bid or not (if not part of bid then can have different price than the bid price)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [3]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
(D). Profit = Revenue - Cost. The premises show that revenue from Maxilux will equal cost. So to strengthen the argument, we need additional revenue from elsewhere. (B) is close because it generates additional revenue, but that revenue is also from Maxilux so the revenue will most likely not exceed the cost here either. (D) is the only answer choice that adds the kind of outside revenue stream we want.

@rjacobsMGMAT , great explanation, I marked C thinking that Analysts are not aware of the distance related costs and Co executives are, and that these co executives are sure of saving some cost in transportation. However it would be assuming too much I think. Please shed some light
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.

-----------------------------
Can someone help me guide through the answer choices for this?

Many thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [2]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
elegan wrote:
The Maxilux car company's design for its new luxury model, the Max 100, included a special design for the tires that was intended to complement the model's image. The winning bid for supplying these tires was submitted by Rubco. Analysts concluded that the bid would only just cover Rubco's costs on the tires, but Rubco executives claim that winning the bid will actually make a profit for the company.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly justifies the claim made by Rubco's executives?

(A) In any Maxilux model, the spare tire is exactly the same make and model as the tires that are mounted on the wheels.

(B) Rubco holds exclusive contracts to supply Maxilux with the tires for a number of other models made by Maxilux.

(C) The production facilities for the Max 100 and those for the tires to be supplied by Rubco are located very near each other.

(D) When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.

(E) When Maxilux awarded the tire contract to Rubco, the only criterion on which Rubco's bid was clearly ahead of its competitors' bids was price.

Many thanks.

In this question you have to prove that even though company's bid just covers the Rubco's costs on the tyres, it will eventually lead to profits for the company. Certainly if there are long term profits, then its a good sign for the company.
On looking at the options, only D makes sense in that it explicity states that when people who purchased MAX 100 need to replace a worn part of it such as tyres, people will replace it with the same make and type, leading to huge profits for the company.
Hope that helps.
-s
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
elegan wrote:

Many thanks.

In this question you have to prove that even though company's bid just covers the Rubco's costs on the tyres, it will eventually lead to profits for the company. Certainly if there are long term profits, then its a good sign for the company.
On looking at the options, only D makes sense in that it explicity states that when people who purchased MAX 100 need to replace a worn part of it such as tyres, people will replace it with the same make and type, leading to huge profits for the company.
Hope that helps.
-s

I thought the OA would be between C & D. Shouldn't C win over D because In D (When people who have purchased a carefully designed luxury automobile need to replace a worn part of it, they almost invariably replace it with a part of exactly the same make and type.) the contract was for tyres. This option talks about worn parts and not specific to tyres. So increasing the scope of the argument.
Further Profit also means SP-CP. So in C, which states that the transportation cost to be less (the plants being near) actually says that the CP would be less, which indirectly means more profit...
Please let me know if I am thinking wrong here...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 417 [13]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
betterscore wrote:

Ok Let us put this down as points

1.Rubco won the bid.
2.Analysts conclude Rubco wont make any profit.
3.BUT, Rubco claims that it actually makes profit.

How is it possible?? There has to be a way out....

Option A -Out of scope. We need to show that Rubco will make profit in some way.
Option B- is close but it is not addressing the issue. We need to address how this bid will generate profits. Here it talks about the other products etc.
Option C- WE cannot conclusively say that there is profit if the plants are closer
Option D- This is a constraint on the customer. So there will be extra revenue generated and hence profits for Rubco.
Option E - Out of scope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [16]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos