Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6619 [38]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: While many people think of genetic manipulation of food [#permalink]
I nailed it but it was difficult recognizing it as a Strengthen Question..

I have a feeling that the new gen GMAT is trying to avoid making it easy for test takers to determine the type of Question ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Sachin9 wrote:

I have a feeling that the new gen GMAT is trying to avoid making it easy for test takers to determine the type of Question ..

I fall in same trap.
I thought its Resolve the paradox question.
and looking for the answer choice which solve discrepancy level at both the ends.
So took choice as 'A'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Aristocrat wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

I fall in same trap.
I thought its Resolve the paradox question.
and looking for the answer choice which solve discrepancy level at both the ends.
So took choice as 'A'

Guess there's no way other than carefully reading and comprehending the entire prompt to avoid the trap..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
betterscore wrote:
While many people think of genetic manipulation of food crops as being aimed at developing larger and larger plant varieties, some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties, which are roughly half as tall as normal varieties.

Which of the following would, if true, most help to explain the strategy of the plant breeders referred to above?

(A) Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.

(B) The wholesale prices of a given crop decrease as the supply of it increases.

(C) Crops once produced exclusively for human consumption are often now used for animal feed.

(D) Short plants are less vulnerable to strong wind and heavy rains.

(E) Nations with large industrial sectors tend to consume more processed grains.

Unstated Premise of the argument: It is beneficial to produce dwarf varieties
Conclusion o the argument: "some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties,"

Explaining this strategy is the same as strengthening the argument.

D is the answer because it directly shows the benefit of the dwarf varieties which is that of reducing the wastage. B doesn't conclusively show that dwarf varieties increase the supply of a crop.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
D

To answer this question, you must find an answer choice that explains why a farmer would want to grow smaller plants. Answer choice D is the only choice that gives a reason. The other answer choices are out of scope and irreverent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Yipee, got the correct answer as D.

Option A:- Does not affect the argument

Option B:- Does not affect the argument

Option C:- Does not affect the argument

Option D:- Strengthens the argument

Option E:- Does not affect the argument

Hence D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
The powerscore bible classifies this as Resolve the Paradox/Explain the discrepancy, so the MGMAT.

I was under the assumption that those two types of questions needed to touch on both ends on the topic (small and big plants), hence trap A. Can someone explain why that is not the case here and how can we only address the "short plants" and get it right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Right answer doesn't need to touch both ends. We just need to make sure that we explain the reason why the one end is actually inline with the seemingly opposite end.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
ChrisLele wrote:
We need an answer choice that provides a good reason for farmers growing dwarf plants. (D) does exactly this by providing a reason plant breeders would prefer dwarf varieties over normal or larger plant varieties: smaller plants are less vulnerable to something negative. In the case of (D), strong winds and heavy rains.

(B) is not saying that farmers will reap more profit by growing dwarf plants. The issue here is number, not size of crops. Thus (B) is irrelevant.

I got the answer right "D". But could not find the strong reason to eliminate "A". Can you please help?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
russ9 wrote:
The powerscore bible classifies this as Resolve the Paradox/Explain the discrepancy, so the MGMAT.

I was under the assumption that those two types of questions needed to touch on both ends on the topic (small and big plants), hence trap A. Can someone explain why that is not the case here and how can we only address the "short plants" and get it right?

Hi Russ9, you are absolutely right. It's a resolve a Paradox question and not a strengthen question as stated by many here. And yes, the right answer should touch both ends... and you have this situation in choice D -->
(D) Short plants are less vulnerable [THAN BIG/LONG ones] to strong wind and heavy rains.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
sach24x7 wrote:
ChrisLele wrote:
We need an answer choice that provides a good reason for farmers growing dwarf plants. (D) does exactly this by providing a reason plant breeders would prefer dwarf varieties over normal or larger plant varieties: smaller plants are less vulnerable to something negative. In the case of (D), strong winds and heavy rains.

(B) is not saying that farmers will reap more profit by growing dwarf plants. The issue here is number, not size of crops. Thus (B) is irrelevant.

I got the answer right "D". But could not find the strong reason to eliminate "A". Can you please help?

I think (A) is wrong, because it doent's adress any of the both sides here (Short plnats or long/large plants) --> it's just talking about Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I get why it can't be any other answer choice than D, because D is the only alternative comparing short plants to other plants. However, we don't know whether strong wind and heavy rains are a problem for large plants. If the text stated something about this being a problem, I wouldn't have a problem understanding the logic in the answer choice, or if D said something that actually showed that it was a useful advantage. By showing I mean proving how it solves an actual problem.

I'm not saying it is flawed, I'm just saying I don't understand why it's not.
Thanks for any help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Fell for A
Somehow din't realized the exact argument
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I fell for A. After further analysis, my understanding of why A is wrong: It doesn't speak about why "some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties"

The trap in A is our assumption of "ornamental" plants being short. Quite a good question!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
B is not the definitive answer since the dwarf variety could theoretically produce more yield than the larger variety, which would not be to the benefit of plant breeders, if B were to be true.
What D offers is definitely an advantage. Hence D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
A) Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.
this is little trappy since its saying that some plants are for food and some plants are ornamental,but what this choice actually means is that the same palnts are used for food by some are used as ornament by others and this theory is incorrect. as food palnts used for ornamental use is not the purpose of the changes.
(B) The wholesale prices of a given crop decrease as the supply of it increases.
out of scope
(C) Crops once produced exclusively for human consumption are often now used for animal feed.
out of scope
Correct reasoning and approvpriate answer to the reason why the palnts are modified to be smaller and shorter.
(E) Nations with large industrial sectors tend to consume more processed grains.
Out of scope
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
betterscore wrote:
While many people think of genetic manipulation of food crops as being aimed at developing larger and larger plant varieties, some plant breeders have in fact concentrated on discovering or producing dwarf varieties, which are roughly half as tall as normal varieties.

Which of the following would, if true, most help to explain the strategy of the plant breeders referred to above?

(A) Plant varieties used as food by some are used as ornamentals by others.

Type : Explain a Discrepancy

OG2017 CR557 P514

I reviewed this question after marking the incorrect answer and realised my mistake. Explaining it below for anyone who thought A should have been the answer.

The pre-thinking scenario makes it clear that we are looking for a reason why growing dwarf plants is actually a valid strategy. However, let's note here that characteristic of the dwarf plants here is that the plants itself grow only half the length of normal plants. It doesn't say anything about the actual food crop and whether its size gets impacted in any way.

With that in mind, clearly the answer cannot be A. This is because when we don't know if the actual food is getting smaller, we cannot assert that it is being used for ornamental purpose.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts