Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [4]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HKUST '15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Re: 2013 LBS MiF Applicants welcome! [#permalink]
Kudos
Ranjan121 wrote:
Guys i will be submitting an application for August 2013 MiF FT . Just wanted to know while you apply do you need to arrange sending transcripts along with your application or a scan of your all mark sheets would do. And you arrange to submit the transcripts from college at a later stage.
The above issue is clearly mentioned in FAQs for MBA at LBS. However, the same is missing in FAQs for MiF.

And lastly i request all admits to share their personal statement writing strategy's and interview experience. It will be beneficial tool for all future applicants.

Ranjan121,
You submit an unofficial transcript along with your application. If admitted, then they will ask you to provide an official copy by mail or to bring it to school with you when you register for verification. I don't believe that mark sheets are sufficient, but a scanned copy of an official transcript would be.

There are links on previous pages that recap interview and essay experiences that you should read. If you have more specific questions, then please repost them. My only high-level advice at this point is to be clear about what your goals are and how you think the program will help you to achieve them. The school seems to have designed the application process to weed out people who are unsure of their goals or who are applying to the program just for the LBS name instead of for the benefits unique to the program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
svnitparas wrote:
Hi All,

Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest if I stand any chance for LBS MIF program.
I am targeting LBS MIf Aug 2013.

Gmat: 720
WEX: 6 Yrs (Business Analyst in IB)
FRM (GARP)
CFA Level 1 Cleared
No International Experience
Grad: Engineer (8.4/10)

My only apprehension is regarding my job profile. My total WEX is in technology division of leading Investment banks and I have heard that LBS mif prefers pure finance profiles.

Please suggest if I should apply or not, also if I can improve my profile for MIF in any way.

Many Thanks

You should submit your CV to the program for review at this link https://www.london.edu/programmes/mif/ap ... html#h8327.

In terms of improving your profile, you want to focus on your personal statements and interview as chances to make yourself stand out from other technology-heavy candidates who will apply. They also place a heavy emphasis on people who are up-to-speed on current events in the financial markets and suggest that all students read the economist and the financial times consistently. If you are not doing this already, I would start now.

RK
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Pradhu wrote:
Hello All! Applying for August 2013. :)

Age - 32 years
Experience - 8+ years, including 5 years international experience in Transaction Advisory Services
Certificate - CFA Charter
Undergraduate - First Class Honors in Accounting
GMAT - 720 (q50, v37)

Good luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi all, another August 2013 hopeful :)

About myself:
WE: ~5 years buy-side investment research
CFA charterholder
GMAT: 730 (Q50, V39)
Undergraduate: economics, study abroad

Has anyone tried applying? I clicked on the green "Apply: Full-time format" button and it just took me to page asking me to update my info and not going anywhere after that. Maybe something's wrong with my browser or they haven't update website yet. (Or I'm just that dumb and couldn't find the link!)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sunnyk wrote:

About myself:
CFA charterholder

Has anyone tried applying? I clicked on the green "Apply: Full-time format" button and it just took me to page asking me to update my info and not going anywhere after that. Maybe something's wrong with my browser or they haven't update website yet. (Or I'm just that dumb and couldn't find the link!)

Sunny,
It is likely that they haven't put the class of 2014 application on the website yet. I know that the admissions and program teams are very busy getting ready for the start of this year's classes on 20 August. I would check back in a week or two and you will probably have better luck.

RK
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sunnyk wrote:

About myself:
CFA charterholder

SunnyK and others,
It looks like the application may be active now. You can find it by following this link:

https://www.london.edu/register/do?prog ... gory=apply
Intern
Intern
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi laman,

Great to see that you're going to help out ... Guess, I was one of the first blokes to apply for 2013 admissions ...

A brief of my profile:

Indian Male, 26 yrs
Undergrad in Engineering - B.Tech. Computer Science
Worked 2 yrs in IT product development
Last 3+ yrs in Financial services
GMAT - 720

I've submitted about 2 weeks ago, and have been told that they haven't yet started the shortlisting process as yet :)

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Dear All,

I'm planning to apply for the 2013 MiF full time programme in R1. I have already got my 'you are encouraged to apply' email from the admission. My concern is the lack of HSBC loan financing. Peter Johnson emailed me that it is currently unavailable but they are working on it... To tell the truth, I'm afraid to submit application because without a bank loan I won't be able to finance the course. So even if I get admitted in December it may turn out that LBS hasn't negotiated any scheme with HSBC yet I will have to withdraw from the programme... In that case, what's the point in applying if I can't arrange the funding? Could any 2012 MiF admits tell me their experience with this? How did it go last year?

Many thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lbkova wrote:
Dear All,

I'm planning to apply for the 2013 MiF full time programme in R1. I have already got my 'you are encouraged to apply' email from the admission. My concern is the lack of HSBC loan financing. Peter Johnson emailed me that it is currently unavailable but they are working on it... To tell the truth, I'm afraid to submit application because without a bank loan I won't be able to finance the course. So even if I get admitted in December it may turn out that LBS hasn't negotiated any scheme with HSBC yet I will have to withdraw from the programme... In that case, what's the point in applying if I can't arrange the funding? Could any 2012 MiF admits tell me their experience with this? How did it go last year?

Many thanks!

lbkova,
the HSBC process was not smooth for this year's class. it was beyond the school's control but still caused a lot of stress for many students. I know they are working to try to avoid the same issues in the coming year, but there are no guarantees that it will be any smoother.

Personally, I would not let this discourage you from applying though. It is probably safer to have a decision from the school well in advance than to wait to apply once the loan scheme is set. I don't know for sure but expect that if you needed the HSBC loan to finance the course, you could probably delay paying the acceptance fee or get a refund if accepted and the loan program falls through for some reason.

RK
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
There are couple of things you need to know about funding anyway:
1) the commitment fee of 1250gbp is non-refundable anyway and due in 28 days after the offer is made
2) the reservation fee of 10200gbp guarantees your place on the program. Based on past years' loan scheme rules, it still should be covered by yourself. Logic assumes that any student should contribute at least 30% of his/her own funds to cover the tuition fee.

So 12450gbp is the rough amount you'll need in 2 months within date of your offer anyway (rough because tuition fees vary from year to year, this is based on our current figure). Scholarships which are announced in late June/July also help amazingly. And finally there might be other funding opprtunities if school is successful in negotiations. Anyway I think that you do not lose anything at the stage of application... If you get admitted there certainly be some way out (i truly believe in it as I've found mine out of absolutely desperate situation). Good luck! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear All,

Thank you for your encouragement! I will certainly apply (I cannot lose anything with that) and if I'm accepted I will see how things shape up.
A couple of remarks to laman:

1. So based on your information the maximum loan amount is roughly 24k GBP if I have to contribute 30% of the tuition fee? I guess you cannot take out a loan for your living expenses?
2. I agree that scholarship help amazingly, but simply you have no chance to get them. For the FT MiF program, there are like 10 scholarships for more than 120 students. That does not cover even 10% of the students. I don't think you can serious rely on getting one of them... By the way, in my country there are absolutely no scholarships or whatever loan schemes for such purposes.

Anyway, just a few more questions occurred to me:

1. How do you see your employment opportunities during the present crisis in London?
2. How many of you plan to opt for the 16-month program?
3. Do you think that internships will help raise the current 84% in 4 months employment report figure?

Thank you and all the best,

lbkova
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi Laman,

for the personal statement, they says that we're not to delete any questions. However, in the section about commitment and support they list 2 separate questions for full-time and part-time applicants. Since I'm applying for full-time programme, would it be ok to delete the part-time question then? I wouldn't mind having more space for other questions:)

Also I'd like to say thank you for both starting the old thread & this one, and for sticking around and answering questions. Your generosity is much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sunnyk wrote:
Hi Laman,

for the personal statement, they says that we're not to delete any questions. However, in the section about commitment and support they list 2 separate questions for full-time and part-time applicants. Since I'm applying for full-time programme, would it be ok to delete the part-time question then? I wouldn't mind having more space for other questions:)

Also I'd like to say thank you for both starting the old thread & this one, and for sticking around and answering questions. Your generosity is much appreciated.

Sunnyk,
I would not remove any of the questions or other lines. Laman and I discussed this with Peter Johnson when we first arrived. They are very interested in succinct answers.

RK
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
As HSBC loan scheme stands currently, they offer 17000gbp to cover tuition fees and 13000gbp for living expenses. Please note that you cannot take for example loan for living expenses and contribute it to the tuition fee.

Re scholarship: it is hard but you should not think that it is impossible. For example, both me and Ryan are scholarship winners :) I would not be able to make it here now without a scholarship... and it is a great opportunity provided by school which should really seriously be taken into consideration for people with funding problems. You can pm me for more detailed discussion if you wish.

Regarding your last 3 questions, I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to advice as I'll be getting back to my home country anyway. But we can make a small poll in class to check what our classmates think about it :)

lbkova wrote:
Dear All,

Thank you for your encouragement! I will certainly apply (I cannot lose anything with that) and if I'm accepted I will see how things shape up.
A couple of remarks to laman:

1. So based on your information the maximum loan amount is roughly 24k GBP if I have to contribute 30% of the tuition fee? I guess you cannot take out a loan for your living expenses?
2. I agree that scholarship help amazingly, but simply you have no chance to get them. For the FT MiF program, there are like 10 scholarships for more than 120 students. That does not cover even 10% of the students. I don't think you can serious rely on getting one of them... By the way, in my country there are absolutely no scholarships or whatever loan schemes for such purposes.

Anyway, just a few more questions occurred to me:

1. How do you see your employment opportunities during the present crisis in London?
2. How many of you plan to opt for the 16-month program?
3. Do you think that internships will help raise the current 84% in 4 months employment report figure?

Thank you and all the best,

lbkova
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Laman,

Thank you for your kindness! Could you please pm me your availabilities? I don't seem to be able to send any pms...

Best regards,

lbkova
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi

Can someone help me in getting an estimate of the total cost of MIF program at LBS including tuition fees and living expenses? What scholarships are available for the same?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akkica wrote:
Hi

Can someone help me in getting an estimate of the total cost of MIF program at LBS including tuition fees and living expenses? What scholarships are available for the same?

Akkica,
Here is the living expense budget that the school suggests:
https://www.london.edu/programmes/budget ... enses.html

Information about the tuition and available scholarships is here:
https://www.london.edu/programmes/mif/fe ... ncing.html

If you have more specific questions please let us know.

RK
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts