Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q170 V156
GPA: 3.51
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
mappleby wrote:
I attended the On-Campus information session being hosted by the admissions committee on Monday of this week. They didn't have anything earth-shattering to say but it was good to visit the campus. I've only been to NYC once before and that was just to the Times Square area so I wanted to actually see Columbia. Summer classes are out so I couldn't sit in on a class unfortunately but I did get the chance to talk to a few students. The woman from the Admissions Council who ran the session stated that they had started reviewing applications 2 weeks ago for next year. That seems to jive with what people are being told on the phone even if the website doesn't appear to be updating properly. She also said that if you are applying Regular Decision you can submit at any time however you will not go under review until the first week of December most likely. It just takes that long to get through all the ED applications.

Thanks for the info. I submitted my application on 28th, July, and nothing changed on the status since then. Fingers crossed and wish us all good luck:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
2 months now and waiting...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by freetz on 09 Aug 2012, 07:34.
Last edited by freetz on 01 Nov 2014, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gc329xyz wrote:

Same for me. It sounds like the process is underway though. We should be looking out for interview invites (if we're lucky enough to land one) in the next 2-3 weeks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:

Same for me. It sounds like the process is underway though. We should be looking out for interview invites (if we're lucky enough to land one) in the next 2-3 weeks.

It seems that this year Columbia admission process is not so rolling...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HeFe wrote:
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:

Haha - that's funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Send PM
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:

The admissions officer on campus told me they were still reviewing applications for 2012 enrollment in June. How did you submit for next year the first week of June? That seems very early even for early decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum as I am also applying to CBS.

I wanted to thank everyone for the helpful information and insights into their own experiences. I was dinged by CBS last year and I can really appreciate those who are sharing their stories of being turned down.

An intro:

I am reapplying to CBS this coming year swapping from fall to J term. I'm applying with a 700GMAT and with a background in family business.

I noticed this year that under Extracurricular activities, there is a field called "Description of Involvement". Did anyone get any guidelines on how to answer this? It seems the text box is unlimited and I don't know if they are looking for a paragraph, a few bullet points or something else. If anyone received any guidance on how to answer this section, it would be most appreciated

In addition, under Employment, there is a section labeled Description. How do you guys think that your description should differentiate from your resume (if at all). I'm thinking of putting 5 bullet points under each giving a sense of what my function was and what responsibilities I had.

Thanks!

-Chris
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
CP45286 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this forum as I am also applying to CBS.

I wanted to thank everyone for the helpful information and insights into their own experiences. I was dinged by CBS last year and I can really appreciate those who are sharing their stories of being turned down.

An intro:

I am reapplying to CBS this coming year swapping from fall to J term. I'm applying with a 700GMAT and with a background in family business.

I noticed this year that under Extracurricular activities, there is a field called "Description of Involvement". Did anyone get any guidelines on how to answer this? It seems the text box is unlimited and I don't know if they are looking for a paragraph, a few bullet points or something else. If anyone received any guidance on how to answer this section, it would be most appreciated

In addition, under Employment, there is a section labeled Description. How do you guys think that your description should differentiate from your resume (if at all). I'm thinking of putting 5 bullet points under each giving a sense of what my function was and what responsibilities I had.

Thanks!

-Chris

Hey Chris,
I'm also reapplying (for entry fall 2013 though). I think the "descirption / description of involvement" area is meant to be a list of responsibilities of your job/EC whereas the resume is supposed to be more accomplishment oriented. That's the way I'm approaching it at least. Good luck with J-term!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
HeFe wrote:
Bananas wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:

Lol!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Anybody know if the Financing Your MBA section is meant to cover the full Student Budget or just the tuition to attend Columbia?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
mappleby wrote:
Anybody know if the Financing Your MBA section is meant to cover the full Student Budget or just the tuition to attend Columbia?

Your whole student budget. Nobody really knows how they use this information. I more or less said "lever up!" I think possibly its to help people ask critical financing questions of themselves before applying versus after. Someone probably showed the adcoms some study that said it increases yield by reducing the number of applicants who don't understand the financing costs until after being admitted (and then subsequently drop), causing them to add this section.

Obviously they don't expect you to get a commitment letter from your local bank before applying, so the exercise really just makes sure you have some sort of plan in place.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
CBS '15 | Regular Decision | 2 Year MBA | 1 week, 4 days ago | w******** | 700 | Denied without Interview

I just saw this on the first page of this thread. CBS has started releasing decisions. This has to be for the J-Term, right?!?! YICKS!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Moss wrote:
mappleby wrote:

Your whole student budget. Nobody really knows how they use this information. I more or less said "lever up!" I think possibly its to help people ask critical financing questions of themselves before applying versus after. Someone probably showed the adcoms some study that said it increases yield by reducing the number of applicants who don't understand the financing costs until after being admitted (and then subsequently drop), causing them to add this section.

Obviously they don't expect you to get a commitment letter from your local bank before applying, so the exercise really just makes sure you have some sort of plan in place.

The application clearly mentions "tuition". Hence, you should limit this to the tuition expenditure, but cover it in such a way that the cost gets covered including inflation for next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Moss wrote:
mappleby wrote:

The application clearly mentions "tuition". Hence, you should limit this to the tuition expenditure, but cover it in such a way that the cost gets covered including inflation for next year.

str1der, I originally thought the same as you however Moss is corrected. I decided to pose the same question to the admissions folks at CBS and they specifically told me to use the Student Budget however it is only meant to get your planning early on how you can afford the MBA over 2 years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Thanks for letting me know. will write to them
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q170 V156
GPA: 3.51
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, guys. Sent an E-mail to the admissions office today about the "Upload Material" section, and get the reply only after hours, very surprising. FYI, I submitted my application on July 28th, they told me today it is complete and under review right now. They also said that their goal is to finish every case within 12 weeks. So I figure that the admission is still rolling, just it is not shown on their website, those applications that were submitted prior than me probably are under review also. So, fingers crossed and wish us all good luck :-)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts