Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [4]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
Prudence wrote:
Tuckies, I would love your inputs on your experience with the FYP. Does it benefit career switchers who are not looking to work in consulting, post MBA?

I would definitely not tie it to consulting career. FYP or First Year Project is a practical application of your 1st year learnings. It's a great way to check what you have learned and how it applies to real world. Projects aren't limited to consulting - a lot of students pursue enterpreneurial projects. It is also great for career switchers - you can put a company from the industry you are interested in on your resume, e.g. you are coming from finance and are interested in a tech career - you can pick a project with Microsoft (using company name as an example) and have it on your resume. Keep in mind FYP is in spring and you are most likely done with recruiting for your internship by then so you can use it for full-time recruitment if needed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
eestineiu wrote:
Prudence wrote:
Tuckies, I would love your inputs on your experience with the FYP. Does it benefit career switchers who are not looking to work in consulting, post MBA?

I would definitely not tie it to consulting career. FYP or First Year Project is a practical application of your 1st year learnings. It's a great way to check what you have learned and how it applies to real world. Projects aren't limited to consulting - a lot of students pursue enterpreneurial projects. It is also great for career switchers - you can put a company from the industry you are interested in on your resume, e.g. you are coming from finance and are interested in a tech career - you can pick a project with Microsoft (using company name as an example) and have it on your resume. Keep in mind FYP is in spring and you are most likely done with recruiting for your internship by then so you can use it for full-time recruitment if needed.

Thanks eestineiu. I guess I read too much into it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Anybody have thoughts about not being able to make it to campus for an applicant initiated interview? I live in Colorado but spend a lot of time in Norway for work. Given my international travel schedule I don't know that I can make it to Hanover before the 7 Nov deadline. The website says they will extend interview invitations to select individuals after reviewing their application but how much do you think it hurts my chances by not visiting?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Anybody have thoughts about not being able to make it to campus for an applicant initiated interview? I live in Colorado but spend a lot of time in Norway for work. Given my international travel schedule I don't know that I can make it to Hanover before the 7 Nov deadline. The website says they will extend interview invitations to select individuals after reviewing their application but how much do you think it hurts my chances by not visiting?

People get in without coming to campus to interview. You will at a disadvantage since you will be competing against students who come from all over the world to interview. Not coming is not an automatic rejection. It's just another data point but you do want every advantage you can get.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.56
WE:Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:

Not sure if this would help but I did hear of one or two folks last year who knew they wouldn't be able to schedule an interview before the official deadline. They were able to call and explain their situations to the adcom and were able to schedule for a later date.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Looks like Tuck posted their essays on their site in the application. Similar to last year, except they combined two of the essays
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Hola, fellow prospective Tuckies. I just wanted to let you all know that there is a mini-essay in the application itself so you aren't caught off guard like I was as I skimmed through it earlier this week!

"Briefly describe all experiences you have working, studying, living, or traveling outside your home country. Include the location, purpose, and length of stay. If relevant, reflect on how these experiences have shaped your world view. (Limit 250 words)"

You might also be interested in this adcom video from last-year about the mini-essay:
https://tuckschool.blogspot.com/2011/12/ ... -mini.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Is Tuck's application free? I cant seem to find the application fee anywhere.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
No, if I recall, it was $250 last year, which is consistent with most schools of that caliber
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
Hola, fellow prospective Tuckies. I just wanted to let you all know that there is a mini-essay in the application itself so you aren't caught off guard like I was as I skimmed through it earlier this week!

"Briefly describe all experiences you have working, studying, living, or traveling outside your home country. Include the location, purpose, and length of stay. If relevant, reflect on how these experiences have shaped your world view. (Limit 250 words)"

You might also be interested in this adcom video from last-year about the mini-essay:

Thanks for the heads up. Only 250 words? For those of us who have traveled extensively and worked/lived overseas that's going to be a tough cram.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Only 250 words? For those of us who have traveled extensively and worked/lived overseas that's going to be a tough cram.

No problem. You may want to check last year's thread since I'm 99% sure they had the same question. I remember reading somewhere that the adcom told someone in a similar situation to pick one or two experiences and describe them.

Ah, I found it: calling-all-fall-2012-dartmouth-tuck-applicants-116638-180.html#p980663
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I was waitlisted at Tuck last year and this time I am planning to apply to the EA round.
Tuck has been very supportive in giving feedback on my application. They also ask reapplicants to interview again.
Can anyone please share their re-applicant interview experience. Is it any different from the general interview.
Do they use the prior interview feedback to ask questions that may be more tailored on how I improved Or will it be a blind interview with just my resume in hand.

Regards,
Vishnu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey folks,
I'm a hopeful Tuck applicant who scheduled my interview for September 24th. My fiancee and I plan on going up early and spending the weekend in Hanover. Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do over the weekend? I know that they have class visits and info sessions set up for us on Monday, but I wasn't sure if there was anything that current students could suggest doing to get a good sense of the area and the life there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone!
Aash
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2013
Send PM
aashrai wrote:
Hey folks,
I'm a hopeful Tuck applicant who scheduled my interview for September 24th. My fiancee and I plan on going up early and spending the weekend in Hanover. Any suggestions on where to stay and what to do over the weekend? I know that they have class visits and info sessions set up for us on Monday, but I wasn't sure if there was anything that current students could suggest doing to get a good sense of the area and the life there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone!
Aash

Of course, it depends on what you like. I assume you will have a car to travel around.

You can consider hiking - September is fabulous time for it. Feel free to PM me for hike recommendations. Also, you can visit Simon Pearce Glass Factory, local breweries (Longtrail, Switchback). If you want to experience New England charm, stay in Norwich Inn. Lou's and 4 Aces are good breakfast places, in the evening you can check out Murphy's - it's primarily occupied by Tuckies:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
I have my tuck interview (self-initiated) in 2 days, flying in from San Francisco. Looking forward to the day. Will let you guys know how it goes.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
jmtomaz wrote:
I have my tuck interview (self-initiated) in 2 days, flying in from San Francisco. Looking forward to the day. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Good Luck!

Mine's on 10/8 and I'm already nervous. Can't believe how close deadlines and interviews are!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts