Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: energy, international business, risk management
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Oil and Gas engineer
WE 2: Oil and gas Engineer
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Re: RiverRipper's Guide to Energy [#permalink]
Does anyone have experience with or knowledge about Chevron's Commercial Skills Development Program and the Downstream & Chemicals MBA Program? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but these seem new. Both of these programs seem very interesting. How do they compare with the Finance MBA Development Program?

Thank you in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
If you want to join an MBA program at a big oil company, I would say that Chevron is probably the single best options. Their finance one is extremely well run, these other programs are based off that design.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
If you want to join an MBA program at a big oil company, I would say that Chevron is probably the single best options. Their finance one is extremely well run, these other programs are based off that design.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Wow incredible post, thank you River.

As an ex-pat kid, I've always been drawn to the industry. Now that I work for BB in Canada (not energy related, yet.), I see myself drawn to either energy trading or Oil & Gas ER.

Here's a note that I'm reading currently: https://www.mccombsefg.com/EFG/Resources ... inners.pdf

Its written by Deutche Bank's O&G researchers.

Is there a commodity/energy trading thread where we can talk about how to break into Glencore/Trafigura/Vitol/Noble/etc?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: energy, international business, risk management
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Oil and Gas engineer
WE 2: Oil and gas Engineer
Send PM
Bookmarks
Check out wallstreetoasis.com Search for posts with the username "monty09". you will get a lot of data on energy commodity trading.

Also check out GARP's Energy Risk professional Certificate. To get a real feel of the kind of disciplines one needs to know to become a trader. the ERP certificate covers various classess of energy but still i think it gives a respectable idea about the nature of things an energy trader needs to think about.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
I have been thinking about working for an oil company but didn't know where to start to look for info, this thread has been a God-send

Thank you for sharing your knowledge everyone!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Alas, it looks like energy is not for me after all. I'm headed to a major telecommunications company in their rotational program after school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Send PM
Could anyone share a bit about the career and salary progression of post-MBA jobs in the Oil supermajors? How do they stack up against the typical routes of management consulting/i-banking/PE?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi guys,

I work as a Reservoir Engineer for Shell. I'm happy to answer any queries about the industry!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks for such a great thread! I work as a Marine Terminal Operations consultant with some experience in planning Crude Oil terminal facilities. I am planning to apply for a top 5 MBA program and am interested in a career in Oil and Gas industry post MBA. Can anyone please shed some light on the following: 1. Career growth for MBA candidates in a non finance role in Oil and Gas industry specially for those who were not employed in the same industry pre-MBA? 2. Also how challenging is it to get a management job in Oil and Gas industry after graduation for students who have engineering background but (some related experience) but have no previous experience working in this industry. Thanks in advance for your help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
capmgmat wrote:
Thanks for such a great thread! I work as a Marine Terminal Operations consultant with some experience in planning Crude Oil terminal facilities. I am planning to apply for a top 5 MBA program and am interested in a career in Oil and Gas industry post MBA. Can anyone please shed some light on the following: 1. Career growth for MBA candidates in a non finance role in Oil and Gas industry specially for those who were not employed in the same industry pre-MBA? 2. Also how challenging is it to get a management job in Oil and Gas industry after graduation for students who have engineering background but (some related experience) but have no previous experience working in this industry. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi there.

I might not know everything about the industry since it is so huge in terms of different jobs and functions. My answers are based on my work with a MNC energy company:

1.If you are employed for a certain job, I believe it doesn't matter where you come from pre-MBA because the recruitment takes care of placing you in the right job. Also, there is no specific career growth path in the industry. For example, if you want to be VP of Shell America, there is no pre-destined career path. You can start in Operations or Surface Engineering or Petroleum Engineering or Exploration or Project Management and end up there. The most important thing is how good you are. It seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, that you have experience in operations. If so, I believe you, with an MBA, can apply for a job in Operations Management or finance and business planning roles. However, it is nonetheless a norm in the industry to do role broadening jobs such as changing from a geophysicist to a business planning role to an operations role in preparation for future leadership roles.

2. Again, your background shouldn't matter because the recruitment guys will put you in a job suited to your background. If you have a technical background, you can also apply for a technical management role. Management roles comes from alot of different aspects - Operations, Supply Chain, Engineering, Projects, Petroleum Engineering etc.

Overall, your background and technical experience will allow to fit you in the industry for a variety of different roles. What energy majors like Shell ultimately look for is your abilities in coming up with solutions, implementing these solutions and how you manage these relationships.

Hope I managed to help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
staneman wrote:
Could anyone share a bit about the career and salary progression of post-MBA jobs in the Oil supermajors? How do they stack up against the typical routes of management consulting/i-banking/PE?

Hello,

I believe:

1. Career Progression: There is no fixed career progression in the oil and gas industry. It depends on background, your interest and your goals. For example, you can start of in engineering but can end up in finance. While you can progress in terms of job groups and salaries, you are the one deciding your career path.

2. Salary Progression: Working with an Oil Supermajor allows you to work all over the world. Normally, this comes with a hefty amount of allowance which can go up to an average of 15k a month for an normal engineer. Furthermore, the allowance depends on where you are based. If you are based in Nigeria, which is perceived to be more dangerous, then you will be paid a higher amount. As for MC/IB/PE, I'm not too sure about their salary progression but I think they also pay very very well.

My advice is don't go into jobs just for pay. Go with what your passion is. What makes you wake up everyday?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
ExxonMobil: World Largest Non-National Integrated Oil Company

Besides people with energy backgrounds, they tend to favor engineers for their GM program, military folks, and people with strong leadership and technical skills. Interviews will be behavioral and fit based, depending on the interviewer they can be challenging and ask unusual questions that are unexpected for people prepared for basic behavioral interviews.

I commonly see that energy companies look for people with engineering or technical degrees. What exactly is meant by "technical degree"? Specifically, I have a degree in molecular biology and much of my work has been in biology/chemistry. Does this qualify? I am curious if they want something general (data analysis and quant skills) that these degrees provide, or something specific like a background relevant to the industry.

Thanks!

DL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.53
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
RiverRipper,

This was an amazing guide and a lot of my questions have been answered. However, one question that has not been brought up is the salary compared to consulting. I am interested in either doing consulting or energy. My girlfriend works in energy right now as a chemical engineer, and she makes a pretty hefty sum. I have a master's in aerospace engineering so it wouldn't be too big of leap for me as I have worked on downstream products such as powerplants and gas turbines in past engineering internships.

Would anyone be willing to do a real world comparison from experience for salaries? I have looked at placement statistics from UT as well as Sloan and it seems the starting is about 91k with 10-15k bonus while consulting is 110-120k...

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
This is a great post with a lot of insightful opinions. Hat tip to the original poster!

I myself am looking at pursuing an MBA in energy. For this reason, I have specifically targeted Oil and Gas schools in Texas. Post MBA I would love to work for Exxon or a Chevron. However, International students on campus tell me that the these giants do not hire foreign nationals.
Could anyone from the industry tell me why this is so? What are my options if I decide to work for these companies from outside the US, say from Canada? Could I get placed in an international location through a US recruitment?

Also, would the starting salary for someone in a business development role, post MBA, in Houston be around 100k? I got my information from Glassdoor

https://www.glassdoor.com/GD/Salary/Chev ... OUR_TO_SIX
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
kishenr wrote:

Would anyone be willing to do a real world comparison from experience for salaries? I have looked at placement statistics from UT as well as Sloan and it seems the starting is about 91k with 10-15k bonus while consulting is 110-120k...

Thanks!

Have you factored in location? a 91K in Houston is will go a long way than a 120K in NYC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
ace312 wrote:
This is a great post with a lot of insightful opinions. Hat tip to the original poster!

I myself am looking at pursuing an MBA in energy. For this reason, I have specifically targeted Oil and Gas schools in Texas. Post MBA I would love to work for Exxon or a Chevron. However, International students on campus tell me that the these giants do not hire foreign nationals.
Could anyone from the industry tell me why this is so? What are my options if I decide to work for these companies from outside the US, say from Canada? Could I get placed in an international location through a US recruitment?

Also, would the starting salary for someone in a business development role, post MBA, in Houston be around 100k? I got my information from Glassdoor

https://www.glassdoor.com/GD/Salary/Chev ... OUR_TO_SIX

From a Canadian standpoint: if you want to work in Canada, I suggest studying and networking in Canada (more specifically, in Calgary). https://www.economist.com/whichmba/unive ... iness/2012
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6