Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [27]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [7]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: A gambler rolls three fair six-sided dice. What is the probability [#permalink]
Hi, can somebody please explain a fundamental aspect of this question: I understand that the probability of getting 2 die with the same number AND one dice with a different number is = 6/6 x 1/6 x 5/6 = 5/36

BUT, beyond this, I get confused whether I should multiply this by 3 for the other 3 other combinations OR 3!?

Could somebody explain while accounting for different combinations, when we multiply by the # of combi VS the factorial of the # of combi?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Re: A gambler rolls three fair six-sided dice. What is the probability [#permalink]
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi, can somebody please explain a fundamental aspect of this question: I understand that the probability of getting 2 die with the same number AND one dice with a different number is = 6/6 x 1/6 x 5/6 = 5/36

BUT, beyond this, I get confused whether I should multiply this by 3 for the other 3 other combinations OR 3!?

Could somebody explain while accounting for different combinations, when we multiply by the # of combi VS the factorial of the # of combi?

In this case, you should multiply by 3 because you can get two identical results and the third different in three different scenarios: AAB, ABA and BAA. Each scenario has the same probability of 5/36.
You can look at the 3 as 3C1, meaning how many choices we have to place the different result, or you can interpret 3 as 3!/2! because you have all the permutations of the triplet A,A,B, with A repeated twice. Obviously, as they should, they really give the same result.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE:Programming (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ways in which a given set can appear = 3 i.e. AAB ABA BAA
For case AAB
Probability of getting a number on first dice = 6/6
Probability of getting the same number on second dice = 1/6
Probability of getting a different number on third dice = 5/6

Thus probability = 6/6 * 1/6 * 5/6 * 3

5/12 (D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
My approach:

Total number of possible way = 6*6*6 = 216
3 discs will appear in any one of the following arrangements: AAA, AAB, ABC
where, AAA=All are same, AAB=Two are same, ABC=all three different

Now, total number of AAA = 6
Total number of ABC = 6*5*4 = 120
therefore, total number of AAA, ABC = 126
So, total number of AAB = 216-126=90
Probability of AAB= 90/216=5/12
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29930 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos