Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51446 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Alum
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Alum
Send PM
Re: Frustrated with weird results [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thanks for an elaborate reply. Thanks a ton actually.
But I think you misinterpreted me. I have taken only 3 practice tests so far
2 MGMAT CATs: These were 2 months back and I did not even complete half of my preparation and results were
680 Q49V34 and 710 Q49V37
Both of these tests were taken in ideal conditions and both of these times I had time to spare in verbal.
So, I thought I should complete my courses and then have a look at where I stand.
I completed knewton course and e-gmat SC course. Finished Manhattan SC and completed OG 13 questions.
I also solved gmatclub questions regularly and had a fair bit of accuracy.
I also have the gmatprep Q pack and my accuracy is certainly above 85% there.
However the gmatprep exam that I took yesterday attacked my nerves.
In quants the problems seemed to be very difficult and I made 8 mistakes. But Q50 seemed rational.
In verbal I made a complete mess.
Because I make a lot of silly mistakes in general, I thought this time my strategy should be focus and spend more time on each question and make sure it is correct.
This approach did not work at all and I ended up guessing an entire RC passage (attempted 3Q without reading) and had a very nervous stretch for the last 5 CR/SC questions (4 of which I got wrong)

While practicing I solve OG/gmatprep Q pack, but I think my major problem is lack of concentration. I think that is why I end up scoring pretty good during practice but failing in the CATs.
Hope I made myself clear.
Any thoughts now??
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

Did you Try

SC: Thursdays with Ron videos?
https://vimeo.com/user3635135/videos

CR: Powerscore CR Bible?

RC: Thursdays with Ron?
https://vimeo.com/user3635135/videos

Quant: did you try practicing from grockit.com ? you can try this site for verbal practice too!

Hope it helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
You indicate that you have a certain accuracy percentage in the OG, but the test is computer adaptive. This means that you're comparing apples to oranges. You can get 85% of the questions right but if 15% are the hard questions, then when you're in the test situation you get to the hard questions but then miss them.

It sounds like you need to focus in on the harder questions and make sure you have strategies to get them right.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
machichi wrote:
You indicate that you have a certain accuracy percentage in the OG, but the test is computer adaptive. This means that you're comparing apples to oranges. You can get 85% of the questions right but if 15% are the hard questions, then when you're in the test situation you get to the hard questions but then miss them.

It sounds like you need to focus in on the harder questions and make sure you have strategies to get them right.

Good advice, but I think I am fairly average on hard questions. My OG accuracy on Hard questions is definitely over 75%.

last evening I slept for 3 hours after the frustrating gmatprep. After waking up, I bought the kaplan quiz bank and solved 2 quizzes.
First one was 10 SC quiz. Only hard questions. 8 correct 2 wrong.
Second one was 10 CR quiz. Only hard questions. 10 correct 0 wrong .
My problem, seemingly is to retain concentration while doing 41 questions.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Expert Reply
did not try that... but i guess there Verbal should be good. Quant is bit though.

Also, as i was not good in Verbal so i used to find their RC bit tough. Will suggest you to take a second opinion from someone.
SVP
SVP
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
In verbal I made a complete mess. Because I make a lot of silly mistakes in general, I thought this time my strategy should be focus and spend more time on each question and make sure it is correct.This approach did not work at all and I ended up guessing an entire RC passage (attempted 3Q without reading) and had a very nervous stretch for the last 5 CR/SC questions (4 of which I got wrong)

It seems that you experimented with a new strategy, but didn't quite have full control over it. You highlighted RC as a problem area in general, but was the RC passage mentioned above toward the very end of the test? If so, then it seems that fatigue, time pressure, and the general difficulty of the verbal section brought on a certain level of anxiety (see here). I suspect this since you recounted a hard time near the end. Have you ever faced such adversity in a practice test before?

The verbal section - especially the latter portion - is definitely a critical point in the test. Many points are lost or gained at this stage. I wouldn't feel too bad about it for now. Verbal is more difficult on the GMATPrep than Manhattan. Combined with the possible issues discussed above, a decrease of six points, while not welcome, is not catastrophic either. With that said, you're right to be on-guard. We certainly don't want a pattern to emerge.

So unless there are more concerns related to your recent GMATPrep experience, we could move on to discussing more about your verbal prep. You mention OG 13 and the Manhattan SC, but is that everything?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
I am also getting strange scores. I took the free MGMAT CAT yesterday and scored 670 (Q 40, V41). I completely messed up the timing on quant and could not answer the last 7 questions. I took the older version of GMAT Prep today (2005), and got a massive 760 (Q50, V42). Granted some 3-4 questions on the verbal was from OG12. But still I found the exam way too easy. Is GMAT Prep version 1 significantly easier than version 2? It definitely was easier than manhattan.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
bmillan01 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
In verbal I made a complete mess. Because I make a lot of silly mistakes in general, I thought this time my strategy should be focus and spend more time on each question and make sure it is correct.This approach did not work at all and I ended up guessing an entire RC passage (attempted 3Q without reading) and had a very nervous stretch for the last 5 CR/SC questions (4 of which I got wrong)

It seems that you experimented with a new strategy, but didn't quite have full control over it. You highlighted RC as a problem area in general, but was the RC passage mentioned above toward the very end of the test? If so, then it seems that fatigue, time pressure, and the general difficulty of the verbal section brought on a certain level of anxiety (see here). I suspect this since you recounted a hard time near the end. Have you ever faced such adversity in a practice test before?

The verbal section - especially the latter portion - is definitely a critical point in the test. Many points are lost or gained at this stage. I wouldn't feel too bad about it for now. Verbal is more difficult on the GMATPrep than Manhattan. Combined with the possible issues discussed above, a decrease of six points, while not welcome, is not catastrophic either. With that said, you're right to be on-guard. We certainly don't want a pattern to emerge.

So unless there are more concerns related to your recent GMATPrep experience, we could move on to discussing more about your verbal prep. You mention OG 13 and the Manhattan SC, but is that everything?

Dude/Dudette,
Thanks for the prompt replies and analysis of my chaotic situation. YOu are completely right in assuming that the verbal RC fiasco was towards the end of the test.
As far as the prep goes, I have done quite a lot. I completed every pre assessment tests and core homeworks on knewton.
As I was practicing questions from the kaplan quiz bank and random here and there, I see a pattern. I am doing very good (accuracy levels hardly go below 90%) when I am concentrating on a particular section or solving only a couple of questions. But when CR,RC and SC come to attack me together, especially after my internal defenses took a hit to achieve Q 50, all hell breaks loose.
So I have fixed up an agenda for me for a week where I want to work on my concentration levels.
I will take Grockit CATs every other day, while maintaining ideal gmat conditions.
I know that these tests do not reflect gmat scores, but the questions are gmat like and it will provide me with an exercise to increase my concentration and brain function levels.
Do you think its a good plan?
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
tridevi wrote:
I am also getting strange scores. I took the free MGMAT CAT yesterday and scored 670 (Q 40, V41). I completely messed up the timing on quant and could not answer the last 7 questions. I took the older version of GMAT Prep today (2005), and got a massive 760 (Q50, V42). Granted some 3-4 questions on the verbal was from OG12. But still I found the exam way too easy. Is GMAT Prep version 1 significantly easier than version 2? It definitely was easier than manhattan.

I think they are a bit different but not THAT different. From my experience I think something went wrong in your MGMAT CAT. While your verbal scores are certainly similar, the quant score are not even close. I agree MGMAT CATs have more difficult quant questions but I think it should be atleast within 5 points difference with gmatprep 1.
SVP
SVP
Kudos
Your approach seems reasonable. So work on endurance and gradually build your skill level. But, as mentioned already, use LSAT RC passages too. As far as extra practice tests, Manhattan and GMATPrep should be enough. While some prefer more CAT sessions, be aware about burnout or fatigue. Too much of a good thing is still too much. :wink:

And, as a side note, did you happen to eat any snacks or drink anything between the test breaks to maintain energy levels for the practice tests? Doing so can make a difference in one's performance. See here.

Also consider the Powerscore CR Bible. You appear to feel comfortable with CR, but this guidebook is fantastic and will almost surely improve your performance. Plus, it (indirectly) helps with RC comprehension as well. And get OG Verbal if you haven't done so already.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
tridevi wrote:

I think they are a bit different but not THAT different. From my experience I think something went wrong in your MGMAT CAT. While your verbal scores are certainly similar, the quant score are not even close. I agree MGMAT CATs have more difficult quant questions but I think it should be atleast within 5 points difference with gmatprep 1.

I hope you are right and that GMAT Prep is a more accurate reflection of my skill level than the MGMAT CAT. I may have messed up the manhattan one as it was the first proper practice test I took. I have decided to buy the rest of the MGMAT tests and see if I improve - taking the test on Sep 2 so I think I have enough time. There is surely a heavy penalty for poor time management! lesson learnt.

I like the idea of snacking during breaks to keep energy levels up - I got REALLY agitated towards the end of the verbal section.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
tridevi wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
tridevi wrote:

I hope you are right and that GMAT Prep is a more accurate reflection of my skill level than the MGMAT CAT. I may have messed up the manhattan one as it was the first proper practice test I took. I have decided to buy the rest of the MGMAT tests and see if I improve - taking the test on Sep 2 so I think I have enough time. There is surely a heavy penalty for poor time management! lesson learnt.

I like the idea of snacking during breaks to keep energy levels up - I got REALLY agitated towards the end of the verbal section.

Hey all the best for the next CAT.
Keep us updated here!!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
I scored exactly the same score in GMAT Prep 1 (Q50 V31), with 8 mistakes in Quant.

My observations
- GMAT Prep Quant is not easier than MGMAT Quant. GMAT Prep Quant questions are unique and need you to zoom in the question for 3-5 mins to get it correct There is absolutely no way around it. If you can make less than 4 mistakes in tough problems and 0-1 is easy problems, Q51 is there for the taking.
-GMAT Prep Verbal is much more subtle than MGMAT Verbal, where questions are either too easy or too hard(read not GMAT like). GMAT Questions are created beautifully to just trip you.
- Stamina is an issue, for me as well and it can only be improved gradually. You would need 3-4 weeks to really get in top gear. I would suggest you to take 75 mins to solve all the IR problems in MGMAT and skip the AWA. This will make you more tired when you reach quant.
-Take 10 Quality tests with no more than 2 tests per week and your stamina would be up there. That is what i am adopting.
- Section Tests in Verbal as well timed drill of 40 Questions in 80 mins should help. Easier said than done though, on weekdays.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhiJ wrote:
I scored exactly the same score in GMAT Prep 1 (Q50 V31), with 8 mistakes in Quant.

My observations
- GMAT Prep Quant is not easier than MGMAT Quant. GMAT Prep Quant questions are unique and need you to zoom in the question for 3-5 mins to get it correct There is absolutely no way around it. If you can make less than 4 mistakes in tough problems and 0-1 is easy problems, Q51 is there for the taking.
-GMAT Prep Verbal is much more subtle than MGMAT Verbal, where questions are either too easy or too hard(read not GMAT like). GMAT Questions are created beautifully to just trip you.
- Stamina is an issue, for me as well and it can only be improved gradually. You would need 3-4 weeks to really get in top gear. I would suggest you to take 75 mins to solve all the IR problems in MGMAT and skip the AWA. This will make you more tired when you reach quant.
-Take 10 Quality tests with no more than 2 tests per week and your stamina would be up there. That is what i am adopting.
- Section Tests in Verbal as well timed drill of 40 Questions in 80 mins should help. Easier said than done though, on weekdays.

Looks like we are on very similar lines.
And I agree with you completely on your gmatprep inputs.
Where are you from btw?
A like minded study partner might help me get there :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE:Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
AbhiJ wrote:

My observations

Your observations are perfect and inline with the facts which I have deduced after my recent GMAT attempt.
Few more tips I would like to suggest
Get used to GMATPrep verbal or GMAT like questions.
you can either solve IR for 75 mins or double quant section and one verbal with 8 min breaks to test your endurance.
we relax a lot when we take a mock. I usually use the entire 8 min or at least 6 to 7 mins during the breaks, but in actual test you will return in less than 5 mins. So follow the same strategy to make it more strenuous in mocks.
In actual test, you will be solving for the entire duration of the test. So make your mocks as real as possible. Don't finish a section early off or rather don't start off verbal too early. Even 10 mins early makes a difference.
2 tests a week is over kill. You will detest taking tests after some time. Instead review for 2 - 3 hours with one 10 to 15 break in between and that is enough to improve your stamina. Don't solve problems. Review the problems, take notes, make connections to all known problems, search for optimal solutions in net, learn from strategy guides if the concept is new etc. On the whole its like running marathon, you don't run 10 kms twice every week, instead sprints will test and improve your endurance. While learning, you make more logical connections than while solving. So 2 to 3 hours of review with only one 10 to 15 min break is like take a 4 hour test solving the problems. This was suggested by Stacey in MGMAT forums and I find it extremely useful since I started following it. For more info check this link -> https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/680 ... 15975.html
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
msvel2304,

Thanks for Stacey's advice link. The advice for building stamina is solid - to decide what to study first and focus for an hour without any distractions.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think I got something that I was lacking
Concepts from Ron's Classes
Finally I get to see something that I did not know.
Dont know but this might come in handy to get rid of the plateau. Will let all of you know in this thread.
GMAT Club Bot