Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
Own Kudos [?]: 2274 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Dismal Verbal Score - Advice Needed [#permalink]
BankingOrBust wrote:

If anyone has any advice on how to tackle the verbal for the next couple of weeks without losing my abilities in quant, I would greatly appreciate it. I am also a little tired of the same study material, so if anyone has any advice on how to switch up the material I am using and make studying a little more interesting, that would also be great. I am really down on myself as I had scored 710's on 2 of my practice exams, and I really hope this forum can provide some insight on how to overcome this.

Keep you're head up. Going over lots of questions can only get you so far. But you're close.

Did mental stamina have anything to do with your performance? Were you tired by the end of the test (after IR + Quant)? Make sure you approach your study sessions with the same intensity that you would for the actual exam. Of course, break them down into smaller segments first - then put them all together for actual practice tests.

If you're looking for some fresh questions on verbal, you can take a look at these online questions and go through them https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
BankingOrBust wrote:
Well I would first like to thank everyone on the forum for all of the help throughout the past couple of weeks, I finally took the real GMAT today and scored a 660 (Q46,V35) after 2 months of studying. Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed in my performance on the verbal section. On my 6 practice tests (4 manhattan and the 2 GMATprep), I had been scoring in the range of 35-45 on verbal, so I guess my score today is an indication that my true verbal proficiency is at the bottom of that range.

I have gone through all of the manhattan guides multiple times, have done all the official guide problems, and I am now trying to create a study plan for the next 4 weeks as I have signed up to retake the exam on September 18th.

If anyone has any advice on how to tackle the verbal for the next couple of weeks without losing my abilities in quant, I would greatly appreciate it. I am also a little tired of the same study material, so if anyone has any advice on how to switch up the material I am using and make studying a little more interesting, that would also be great. I am really down on myself as I had scored 710's on 2 of my practice exams, and I really hope this forum can provide some insight on how to overcome this.

Lots can happen on test day, so unless you feel like you maxed out your potential when you took the real test your ability could very well be above 35. The real key to effective study in this month is to focus on your areas of weakness, based on data and your personal assessments. You have some great data available from the GMAT CATs, what is that telling you?

You've been through all the OG problems, but how has your review been? You should be spending A LOT of time reviewing your problems to really understand what you're doing right and what you are doing wrong (you should be reviewing correct answers too).

Lastly, you need to make OG practice a significant portion of your study plan during these next 4 weeks. Use other tools as a supplement, but you've got to get super comfortable with real GMAT verbal problems.

KW

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts