Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You're welcome, Rogue7! Please let us know if you have further questions!

Best,
Brian
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I recently scored 640(Q42) (V37) on the GMAT. This puts me right at the bottom of the middle 80% range at my target schools. I did score 700 on my last practice CAT, and was hoping to score at least 660. I do think I will do better if I take the test again. I was fairly nervous and rushed during the quantitative section. Do you think my time would be better spent studying and taking the GMAT again or focusing on the essays? I have put some thought into my essays, but have not started them. I want to apply in R1, which is early November for my schools.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello,

It's a tough call... I think the question you have to ask yourself is how badly do you want to get into a school like Booth? If you really have your heart set on Booth, then the more you can improve your score, the better. That said, I'm not sure that a 660 would move the needle there, so if you think that's the highest you could score, it might not be worth it (at least for Booth).

For your other schools, though, it seems like a 660+ score could definitely increase your chances if the 640 is the bottom of the 80th percentile range. If you truly believe you can do better, then I'd say go ahead and retake the exam as soon as possible and get it out of the way. Then focus fully on your applications. Don't worry so much about R1 vs R2 (though if R1 is November for your schools, you've got plenty of time to do both) - worst case scenario you apply in R2 with higher quality applications! There is not a substantive difference in acceptance rates between R1 and R2, generally speaking.

Hope this helps,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
https://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I appreciate the advice. Do you have any advice for applicants with GMAT scores near or at the bottom of their school's range? I feel that I have good story as to why I am pursuing a MBA degree and how it is relevant and essentially required for my career path. I also feel that I have valuable career experience that will enhance the learning atmosphere for my colleagues. Is there anything else I should be keeping in mind when applying and writing my applications?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
As Brian mentioned before, you want to demonstrate to the admissions committee that you are a strong leader, team player and that you are a multi-dimensional individual who excels in all things you take on. You want to demonstrate that you have strength of character, strong work ethic, strong analytic capability. You also want to show that you've thought very hard about why you need an MBA at this juncture, and why you need one from this particular school. There's quite a bit that you need to show, but you can certainly overcome a low GMAT if all the other dimensions are strong (professional leadership, community leadership, extracurricular activities/initiatives, personal stories).

Hope this helps,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
https://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Moderator:
1452 posts