Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 0
GPA: 3.92
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Brian,

I really appreciate your detailed response. Thanks a lot for your advice. Can you please elaborate few points mentioned in your post -

1. Diverse set of MBA programs - Can you please tell "diversification" in what sense? In terms of rankings, fields etc. ?

2. I have started to have concerns with my GMAT score. I don't want to get back to preparation mode again as it was really very difficult to manage with my work schedule. Can a higher GMAT score increase my chances of getting scholarship?

3. I am not able to understand this excerpt - "I just think this will be a bit of a bias in the ad com to know about." Can you please explain? I will make sure I am clear on "why" in my goals essay.

Thanks again!
av2012

av2012,

Thank you for the follow-up questions.

1. The diversification comment here is about program ranking. Right now you're targeting all top 10 programs, and for the majority of male, Indian, engineer candidates we would recommend considering an application set that includes programs outside of the top 10. Part of the reason for this is the extremely high volume of applicants from this demographic, which contributes to lower chances of admission at top schools.

2. All things equal, a higher GMAT score will increase one's chances for a scholarship, yes. However, we have worked with plenty of clients who have received scholarships who did not have above-average (for a given school) GMAT scores, so it is not a prerequisite. I would caution you on being hopeful for a (significant) scholarship to any school unless your profile for that school is strong, though - especially for applicants from the male, Indian, engineer demographic.

3. In our experience, many younger applicants are not able to articulate specifics of their mid and long-term career goals because they have not done enough research into their fields of interest. For example, I've spoken to younger applicants who say, "I want to go into consulting." When I ask why, or when I ask how they made that decision (on what grounds), or if they have spoken to people in the industry to gain a better feel for the role, I often get answers that indicate there was not really serious research conducted. This is not to say that older applicants always have done this homework, but it's more likely to happen for younger applicants. As such, in our experience, ad coms need to know that, as a younger applicant, you have given a lot of thought to your future career goals and how you will achieve them. If you're not able to reach this burden of proof, then the ad com will be much less convinced that now is the right time for you to obtain an MBA.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi sir, this is aninda mukherjee from kolkata, india. sir, i am in my third year of my engineering in one of the reputed college in kolkata in APPLIED ELECTRONICS AND INSTRUMENTATION.Sir, i want to apply for master in management programme(MIM) next year for the fall 2014 just after my btech. pls evaluate my profile
ACADEMICS
CLASS 10-85%
CLASS12-71%
GPA TILL NOW-7.53/10
GMAT-750(GAVE JUST 2 DAYS BACK)
IELTS/TOEFL- havent given yet

ACTIVITIES AND EXTRACURRICULARS

had done 2 internships in china and phillipines through AIESEC for 1 month each.
plays sarod(indian classical instrument) and won awards for the best performer in one of the reality show of india.
was a team member of aiesec comittee for 6 months.
worked as a volunteer for child health care in MOTHER TERESA CHARITY in kolkata, HOPE FOUNDATION(accredited by UNICEF), worked in east india charity as volunteers to look after the old age people.
arrange seminars and feast in my college.
did two internships in TATA MOTORS and BHARAT PETROLEOUM(ONE OF THE TOP 9 COMPANY IN INDIA)

SKILLS

knows french, bengali, hindi, english now learning mandarin
TARGET SCHOOLS
LBS MIM, HEC PARIS MIB, HARVARD 2+2 PROGRAM, LSE MIM, GRENOBLE BUSINES SCHOOL MIM, CASS BUSINES SCHOOL MIM,ESSEC BUSINESS SCHOOL MIM, EMLYON MIM, DUKE MMS
pls sir evaluate my profile and suggest me what should i do from now on in order to maximize my chances in the above mentioned schols. i have another 1 year left before my application, so pls suggest me.

Aninda,

Thank you for your profile submission. While Aringo has provided some advisory to applicants to Master's in Management programs in the past in client work, we are only able to provide more specific chances evaluations for full MBA programs - and we specialize in the top 30 programs globally. Some of the programs that you list are both outside of the top 30 and most are not MBA programs, with the exception being the HBS 2+2. I apologize I cannot provide the specifics that we are able to give candidates to MBA programs.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Gil! I’d like to ask your help to evaluate my profile
Nationality : Indonesia

Educational Background :
Bachelor of Economics with major in Accounting from Faculty of Business and Economics University of Indonesia (graduated with First Honors Distinction). I finished my study in 3.5 years.

Professional Experience :
1. Part time job
- Teaching assistant for accounting subjects from Sept 2009 – May 2010 in Accounting Department of Faculty of Business and Economics University of Indonesia.
- Junior consultant at The Center for Accounting Development Faculty of Business and Economics University of Indonesia
2. Full time job
I have worked for 2 years as auditor in one of the “Big Four” firms in Indonesia. I am working in assurance division which gives financial statement audit services for local and multinational companies. I work with matrix style with several teams including expatriate managers in several client engagements. My job consists of performing audit procedures such as substantive analytical procedures and test of controls. I was also had a chance to be an In – Charge for one of my clients. As an In-Charge, I was responsible for planning the audit approach, performing audit of my accounts, reviewing the junior staff’s working paper, discussing audit progress with manager and drafting the audit report. This was a valuable experience, not only I have learned to work with various type of team members but I also learned how to handle difficult clients. I was recently got promoted to Senior Staff position which enable me to be In-Charge or team leader in every engagement. I am a top performer with performance rating of above average.

Extracurricular activities :
- Voluntary teacher at Non Formal School FEUI (a non profit organization that aiming to help the education of elementary students and teachers from schools which lack of financial support in West Java area) during my undergrad years.
- Sunday school teacher (present)

Languages known : English, Indonesia and Chinese

GMAT first attempt on Dec 2011 :
Quant : 47
Verbal : 29
Total : 620
AWA : 5.0

Interested in Finance and International Business.
Reasons for taking an MBA : career switch to Consulting. My next option is investment banking.

Please help me to evaluate my profile. I’d like to apply for the Fall 2013 class, could you suggest me which business schools that I have good chances at? Is it necessary to retake my GMAT and increase the score to >700? I have a tight schedules with my job and often work overtime to meet the deadlines. This is my major consideration in retaking my GMAT.

Thanks in advance,

stronghold11

Stronghold11,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 620, our experience indicates that you would be a stretch candidate at most top 10 programs in the US, between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at Tuck, between stretch and competitive at Ross and Fuqua, competitive at Darden, and likely strong at programs outside the top 20 in the US.

You mention that you graduated in 3.5 years from undergrad. If this is faster than is normal for your classmates at the university that you attended, definitely provide this context in your resume and in the application. It is important because of your GMAT score, in the sense that it would provide evidence that you can handle a rigorous academic workload.

In terms of your career goals, it's definitely ok to consider both consulting and investment banking, but I would recommend that you might consider writing about just one of these for a short term goal in your essays. It's definitely ok to change your mind at business school (a lot of people do this), but for a younger candidate we might recommend that you give as explicit of a goal as possible.

I like the fact that you mention you have high performance ratings at work and have shown a level of progression in your responsibilities - these definitely help with your profile, as does working at a major accounting firm.

In terms of your question about whether you should take the GMAT or not, there is not a black or white answer here. The factors you would want to consider include:
1) How much time you have to theoretically prepare for a re-take. In general it is difficult to re-take the GMAT and write a number of high-quality applications.
2) How high of a score were you seeing on practice tests before you took the GMAT for the first time. What do you think is possible to achieve, given your experience generally as a test-taker and specifically with your experience with the GMAT? We often see that candidate score below what they were receiving in practice tests, but if you believe that you have the potential to score higher, it may be a consideration.
3) What school(s) are your top choices, and what school(s) would you definitely attend if you were accepted. As you can see in your profile chances, you are already in decent shape at some good programs. Being a female helps, by the way.

You don't need to respond to these questions per se, but these are the types of considerations we typically ask clients when they review their profiles with us.

You have a fairly strong profile outside of the GMAT itself. Keep in mind that ad coms do like to see candidates try the GMAT at least a 2nd time if there is not a 700+ score on the first attempt. Additionally, you do not necessarily need to increase your score 80+ points to get to a level of 700 or above with a retake. In our experience, improving from the low 600s to the mid or upper 600s can provide you with incremental chances at top programs.

Overall, my recommendation is that you might consider delaying your applications for another year, for which you would use to retake the GMAT (and which would allow you to build a bit more work experience). If you apply this fall, you would have three years of full-time experience at matriculation. However, the vast majority of business school students who matriculate to top 10 programs with just 2 years or work experience at the time of application are coming from consulting, investment banking, and/or private equity careers. For applicants coming from accounting roles, the average work experience at the time of application is more in the range of 3-5 years or work experience.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Brian,
Please evaluate my profile and let me know my chances:
GMAT: 710
Toelf: 705
Nationality: Brazilian
Undergraduate/Master: Bachelor in Law – 7.7 / 10 (approved as lawyer in the first attempt); Bachelor in Business and Administration 8.8 / 10; Master in International Law 7.5/10 (Top 3 Law School in Brazil); Master in Corporate Finance and Investment Banking 8.3/10 (Top 3 Business School in Brazil).
Work Experience: 1 year of experience as lawyer/consultant in tax and civil fields. 1.5 years as Latin America contract/financial analyst in a Top 200 Fortune company. 2 years as associate in one of the Big Four companies.
Languages: Portuguese, Spanish , English and France (intermediate).
International Experience: 6 months in Argentina and 9 months in New Zealand.
Extra-Curricular/Hobbies: voluntary in a cancer hospital in São Paulo / Surf, Poker and Running.
Schools: Wharton, Haas, Anderson, Tuck, Duke, Cornell, Ross, Booth, Darden, Kellog.
Post MBA goal: Investment Bank; work as consultant in general management/strategy.

Tks!

rarv,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 710, our experience indicates you would be a competitive candidate at Wharton, Kellogg, and Booth, between competitive and strong at Tuck and Haas, and strong at Duke, Cornell, Ross, Anderson, and Darden.

You have a strong profile with solid marks from an academic standpoint and some brand-name work experience. There are two items that you will want to be sure to address in your essays that will be important for you to convince the ad coms that you are a good fit for their MBA programs:

1) As far as I can tell, it appears you already have 4 degrees - two bachelors and two masters. With this amount of education, and work experience of about 4 years that spans 3 firms, the ad coms may start to question whether you are a "career student." They may question your ability to be promoted within an organization and make a committment long-term to a specific field. They may also question why you need an MBA if you already have two graduate degrees. You can temper this concern by explaining that you have performed well at the 3 organizations where you have worked, and it is even better if you can show that you achieved promotions within the organizations.

2) When you mention that you are interested in a career in investment banking and you mention that you already have a masters degree in corporate finance and investment banking, there will likely be a concern on the ad com for, "Why does this person need an MBA for this job?" I might consider focusing more on the general management and/or consulting side of your career interests, since these are somewhat more plausible careers where you'd (personally) need an MBA for this kind of placement.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

May you please evaluate my profile.

Name: Lamees
Nationality: Saudi
Education:
American University of Sharjah, Major Finance, Minor Accounting, GPA 3.46 (graduated June 2012)

GMAT:
Total 640 (38V, 39Q, 5.5 AWA)

TOEFL iBT: 113

Work Experience: I have just graduated, so my work experience is limited to the three summer internships I completed in the summer of 2009,2010, 2011. All of them were in local banks in saudi arabia.

Other:
I am registered for the CFA level 1 exam this December. Does passing the level 1 of the CFA increase my chances of getting accepted?

My goal is to become a portfolio manager of a social impact fund, and I hope that a masters degree will give me the required credentials and knowledge.
The reason I am pursuing a graduate degree right after college is that I was awarded a full-scholarship for my undergraduate degree, and it will cover a masters degree if I enroll directly after earning my bachelors degree. (must receive admission offer by January latest or I lose the scholarship).

I am considering the following schools for an MBA program:
University of Pennsylvania
NYU
Georgetown
UNC
University of Texas at Austin
Cornell
Stanford

I am also considering a specialized Masters in Finance program from:
Washington University in St Louis
Boston College
Ohio State
University of Texas at Dallas

Thank you very much in advance,
Lamees
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Dear Brian,

Could you please evaluate my profile? Thanks in advance.

Nationality: Indian Female
GMAT: 670 (Quantitative: 49, Verbal: 33)

As I already took GMAT four times, I have decided not to take GMAT again.

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Information Science from Visveswaraiah Technological University, Karnataka, India. – First Class with Distinction

Professional Background: Experience: 6.5 years (as of August-2012)

1) 2006 To 2010: Associate Consultant at Oracle, India

I worked on Supply Chain Management to solve the purchasing problems of Oracle customer, Alcoa. I had extensive contacts with customers located in Asia, Australia and US.

2) 2011 To Current: IT Consultant at Shell Asset Management Company (a subsidiary of Shell Oil Company), The Netherlands

I provide software solutions and services to customers located in Asia and Europe.
I don’t have any budget responsibility and don’t have any direct reports.

Extra-Curricular Activities:

From 2011 To Current: Coordinator of Amnesty International Group in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

I coordinated fund raising in 2011 and 2012. I led many actions for women’s right in Saudi Arabia, Gays right in Turkey and Arms Trade Treaty. I coordinated Amnesty benefit concert in 2012.

Languages known: Tamil, English, Hindi, Kannada

International Exposure: Since 2011, I have been working in the Netherlands (20 months)

Reason for doing an MBA: Career Progress
After MBA, I like to work as Senior Consultant for an IT company such as Oracle or IBM located in Europe/Asia.

Area of interest: Technology/IT Consultancy

Target Schools: INSEAD, IMD, LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, HEC
I like to do my MBA in Europe. I already visited HEC, IE and RSM and am going to visit INSEAD, LBS and Oxford in September 2012.

My partner got into INSEAD and will be beginning his MBA in January-2013.

I request you to evaluate my profile and let me know the schools I have good chances at.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Amnesty
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi ,
Appreciate if you can comment on my profile. I plan to apply to HKUST.

Current Age - 29 yrs old Nationality : Indian
Educational Background: Chartered Accountant( ACA/CPA)- First attempt , ICWAI ( CIMA) - First attempt, Chartered Valuation Analyst (NACVA) and Chartered Management Accountant( IMA,USA). GPA of 3.5-3.7. 10th -76%, 12th 73% B.com 78% GMAT dec 2008 -610 and sept 2011 - 600

Work ExperienceI have 8 years of experience( plus 3 years Articleship with big 4 - PWC)) in Investment banking, Valuations and M&A. Have around 3 years of international experience and have worked in 28 countries in last 8 years across 4 continents.

Currently working with a Big 4 firm in India as Assistant Director- M&A and Valuations. Leading a team of 200 . Have led End -to-end valuations/business plans and market study for companies > $ 200 Million USD.

Achievements:
-Was selected amongst 50 Employees out of 100,000 to undergo the prestigious GE Finance Leadership Program.
- Undergone the leadership program of Shell Oil& Gas Company.
- I am also a certified assesor by CII ( confederation of indian industries).- Wall Street training in Financial Modeling & Valuations.

Extra curricular: .
-Part of ‘Citizen Journalist’ program of BBC during the General Elections in '09.
-Founded and operated a small coffee shop/canteen (with around 10 employees) during the college days and subsequently sold it to a larger chain of canteen.Started with an Initial Investment of Rs 8000( USD 200) and sold it at Rs 1,60,000( USD 4000) and used my share of money to fund my further education.
- Founded an Indian Community in Oman - Muscat oasis Indian community . Current membership stands at 350.

Community service

-worked with an NGO in India during the Tsunami in India in 2004. Visited Nagapatanam and was there for a month and helped rebuild the houses and village.
-Stated a group in our locality to help people understand the effective and efficient usage of water and helped in putting thru a rain water harvesting plant in the locality.
- Worked with an NGO- for the education and rehablitation of poor Arab children in Sur, Oman.

Post MBA - Investment banking/PE
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Profile evaluation:
Background:
30 year-old male Asian American, married, has a 4 and a 5 year-old (does that matter?). Multicultural - Born in China and immigrated to US at age 18. Proficient in both English and Chinese.

GMAT score: 740 (50Q / 39V)

Undergrad School and GPA: SUNY Binghamton, Computer science major, 2.95 GPA (no special reason for the low gpa, it is just due to immaturity)

Post-MBA goal:
Short term:
Career change - like to change from working in small business to working in big corporation. Interested in general management and/or entrepreneurship (can i put both as my areas of interest??), like to get into a good management trainee program after MBA.

Long term: Becoming a operational leader, in Asia-Pacific region, of a US or international company (utilize my multicultural background).

Work experience (6 years total):

I started working in a small computer networking company. The company implements internet networks for hotels. I was a team leader in the tech-support department. My work duties include overseeing tech-support staffs, monitoring the client’s networks, and maintaining a good relationship with the clients.

After the networking company, I worked in a small retail business (a chain of two local cellular phone stores). I started as a IT Consultant. In one year, I was promoted as an assistant GM and became a business partner. In two more years, I became the General Manager (my current title). Under my supervision, the company structure was enhanced, new positions and departments were created, the total revenue was significantly increased, and four more new stores were opened in the upstate New York region.

Extracurricular:
1. one thing i really proud about myself is my photography skills. I consider my skill matches a "seasonal-pro", just that i don't charge people. i do photo shoot occasionally for some friends and families' special events. i do landscaping photography too, maybe i can include some of my works along with one of the essay that talks about myself?
2. I do magic tricks, but mostly for children at some private parties. I am not as good as profession who can make a living with such skills, but i would say i am experience enough to call myself an amateur magician.
3. I am a guitarist. Back in college time, I played in a band(one reason for the low GPA, lol), and actively involved with the music worship for the student christian fellowship group. I am also a worship team member currently in my church (i guess that kind of overlaps with the community work.
4. I like skiing and snowboarding, but i don't think those have anything to do with my MBA application, correct?

Community work: I used to be an interpreter in my church, but I became too busy and didn't continue that role. I am currently a guitarist in the music worship team in my church.

Target Schools: McCombs, Cornell, Darden, Stern, (or something better?)

Questions:

1. Am I getting a good chance get accepted by the above schools? I understand my weaknesses include low under-grad GPA and lack of corporate exposure. Are my working experience and the 740 GMAT going to offset the weakness in my application? I heard about taking courses in community college to offset low undergrad GPA, but I don’t have such time because of work.

2. About recommendations: As a general manager, the only person above me is the business owner. He is going to give me a good recommendation demonstrating my achievement at work. I am planning to have my counselor at Christian fellowship to write me the second recommendation. As my counselor, she knows me pretty well. Also, I worked with her closely as I coordinated a couple music events for the fellowship. She should be able to give me some good words about my leadership skills. Is that a good combination of recommendation letters?

3. About area of interest, i am not so sure about entrepreneurship or general management. can i put both? or if i have to pick entrepreneurship, will it go with my long term goal just fine? I want to put entrepreneurship because i feel like it is closer to what i am doing at my job, therefore increases the change of acceptance.

4. My salary is significantly lower than average. Is that something bad for my application? That is because as business partners, both I and the business owner agreed that it is the best now to reserve the money for the company growth. Should I use the optional essay to make that clear?

5. According to my profile, would it be a waste of money to try one of the top 10? like sloan?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hello,

May you please evaluate my profile.

Name: Lamees
Nationality: Saudi
Education:
American University of Sharjah, Major Finance, Minor Accounting, GPA 3.46 (graduated June 2012)

GMAT:
Total 640 (38V, 39Q, 5.5 AWA)

TOEFL iBT: 113

Work Experience: I have just graduated, so my work experience is limited to the three summer internships I completed in the summer of 2009,2010, 2011. All of them were in local banks in saudi arabia.

Other:
I am registered for the CFA level 1 exam this December. Does passing the level 1 of the CFA increase my chances of getting accepted?

My goal is to become a portfolio manager of a social impact fund, and I hope that a masters degree will give me the required credentials and knowledge.
The reason I am pursuing a graduate degree right after college is that I was awarded a full-scholarship for my undergraduate degree, and it will cover a masters degree if I enroll directly after earning my bachelors degree. (must receive admission offer by January latest or I lose the scholarship).

I am considering the following schools for an MBA program:
University of Pennsylvania
NYU
Georgetown
UNC
University of Texas at Austin
Cornell
Stanford

I am also considering a specialized Masters in Finance program from:
Washington University in St Louis
Boston College
Ohio State
University of Texas at Dallas

Thank you very much in advance,
Lamees

Lamees,

Thank you for your profile submission. First, congratulations on the scholarship offer that you received - that is a significant accomplishment. At the same time, I have to be clear that top MBA programs will (in virtually all cases) not seriously consider you for admission unless you have at least several years of full-time work experience. The average amount of full-time work experience for top programs is in the range of 3.5 - 5 years. Internships while in college are considered for applicants with just a few years of full-time work experience, but only on the margin. Harvard Business School allows students who have just received their undergraduate degree to apply via their 2+2 program, but even in this scenario the expectation is that you would work for several years and then matriculate to business school.

In terms of what you should do with your situation, I would recommend that you find and talk to several people with your desired role (portfolio manager of a social impact fund) to understand what kind of academic and professional credentials are required. My recommendation is for you to gain some full-time experience in the finance industry, which you should then be able to apply towards this kind of role - along with a master's degree. Even though you have this scholarship opportunity, I would make sure to understand if a master's in finance would be something that could help you work towards your career goal. Please keep in mind that it is very, very common for people to take 3-5 years and 2-3 jobs before they are able to attain the desired 'dream' position - in many/most cases, a strategy role, for example, in a corporate setting is not possible unless one has multiple years of work experience in consulting and/or training in strategy from business school and/or multiple years of experience within that company in a non-strategy role. Aringo has provided clients with support in master's of finance programs, but we do not have a chances evaluation component here as we do with top MBA programs.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Dear Brian,

Could you please evaluate my profile? Thanks in advance.

Nationality: Indian Female
GMAT: 670 (Quantitative: 49, Verbal: 33)

As I already took GMAT four times, I have decided not to take GMAT again.

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Information Science from Visveswaraiah Technological University, Karnataka, India. – First Class with Distinction

Professional Background: Experience: 6.5 years (as of August-2012)

1) 2006 To 2010: Associate Consultant at Oracle, India

I worked on Supply Chain Management to solve the purchasing problems of Oracle customer, Alcoa. I had extensive contacts with customers located in Asia, Australia and US.

2) 2011 To Current: IT Consultant at Shell Asset Management Company (a subsidiary of Shell Oil Company), The Netherlands

I provide software solutions and services to customers located in Asia and Europe.
I don’t have any budget responsibility and don’t have any direct reports.

From 2011 To Current: Coordinator of Amnesty International Group in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

I coordinated fund raising in 2011 and 2012. I led many actions for women’s right in Saudi Arabia, Gays right in Turkey and Arms Trade Treaty. I coordinated Amnesty benefit concert in 2012.

Languages known: Tamil, English, Hindi, Kannada

International Exposure: Since 2011, I have been working in the Netherlands (20 months)

After MBA, I like to work as Senior Consultant for an IT company such as Oracle or IBM located in Europe/Asia.

Area of interest: Technology/IT Consultancy

Target Schools: INSEAD, IMD, LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, HEC
I like to do my MBA in Europe. I already visited HEC, IE and RSM and am going to visit INSEAD, LBS and Oxford in September 2012.

My partner got into INSEAD and will be beginning his MBA in January-2013.

I request you to evaluate my profile and let me know the schools I have good chances at.

Amnesty

Amnesty,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as provided and under an assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 670, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at INSEAD, between stretch and competitive at LBS, between stretch and competitive (closer to competitive) at Cambridge, and competitive at IMD, HEC Paris, and Oxford. You should definitely mention in your application to INSEAD that you would be joining your partner there.

Things to consider in your application include:
- Make sure to provide some context for the relative ranking and competitiveness of your undergraduate institution, as I am not as familiar with the program
- Regarding your work experience, it's not clear if you were promoted during your time at Oracle. It will be imperative to elaborate on your performance ratings and achievements here. Similarly, you would need to convey the reasons for taking the role with Shell, in that it (hopefully) was a more senior position that could reasonably be positioned as a promotion vs. what you previously had been doing. Because you do not have any direct reports currently, it will be important to speak to other types of leadership you have taken on while at work in specific projects and cross-functional initiatives.

You may want to put some additional consideration into how you frame your interests for the MBA and your future career goals. First, I think it's fair to say that everyone would, in some manner, describe a reason to get an MBA as to enable/foster career progress. But you want to be a lot more specific than this in the essays - i.e. list specific skills or weaknesses you want to improve upon. Second, if you indicate that you want to work for a company like Oracle (or Oracle itself) in a more senior role than you already had (at Oracle), the ad coms' reaction to this would likely be, "Why do you need an MBA? Can't you network your way into this kind of role right now?" You will need to make the case that you would not be able to attain the role at Oracle of Senior Consultant without the benefit of the MBA - and hopefully you already know if this is in fact needed because you worked there before and would know what the job requirements looks like.

In a broader sense, based on our experience, we advise candidates to be very careful about listing short-term and mid-term career goals that list the same industry and function as where one had worked in the past. In some instances, the ad coms may not judge this as "interesting" enough and as not enough of a reason to obtain a full-time MBA. In the US, at least, those who are interested in staying within the same industry and function typically are advised to go with the part-time MBA route.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi ,
Appreciate if you can comment on my profile. I plan to apply to HKUST.

Current Age - 29 yrs old Nationality : Indian
Educational Background: Chartered Accountant( ACA/CPA)- First attempt , ICWAI ( CIMA) - First attempt, Chartered Valuation Analyst (NACVA) and Chartered Management Accountant( IMA,USA). GPA of 3.5-3.7. 10th -76%, 12th 73% B.com 78% GMAT dec 2008 -610 and sept 2011 - 600

Work ExperienceI have 8 years of experience( plus 3 years Articleship with big 4 - PWC)) in Investment banking, Valuations and M&A. Have around 3 years of international experience and have worked in 28 countries in last 8 years across 4 continents.

Currently working with a Big 4 firm in India as Assistant Director- M&A and Valuations. Leading a team of 200 . Have led End -to-end valuations/business plans and market study for companies > $ 200 Million USD.

Achievements:
-Was selected amongst 50 Employees out of 100,000 to undergo the prestigious GE Finance Leadership Program.
- Undergone the leadership program of Shell Oil& Gas Company.
- I am also a certified assesor by CII ( confederation of indian industries).- Wall Street training in Financial Modeling & Valuations.

Extra curricular: .
-Part of ‘Citizen Journalist’ program of BBC during the General Elections in '09.
-Founded and operated a small coffee shop/canteen (with around 10 employees) during the college days and subsequently sold it to a larger chain of canteen.Started with an Initial Investment of Rs 8000( USD 200) and sold it at Rs 1,60,000( USD 4000) and used my share of money to fund my further education.
- Founded an Indian Community in Oman - Muscat oasis Indian community . Current membership stands at 350.

Community service

-worked with an NGO in India during the Tsunami in India in 2004. Visited Nagapatanam and was there for a month and helped rebuild the houses and village.
-Stated a group in our locality to help people understand the effective and efficient usage of water and helped in putting thru a rain water harvesting plant in the locality.
- Worked with an NGO- for the education and rehablitation of poor Arab children in Sur, Oman.

Post MBA - Investment banking/PE

sudhir18n,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 610, our experience indicates you would be a competitive candidate at HKUST for the full-time MBA program. That said, I would encourage you to consider applying to other MBA programs, in particular with the GMAT score that you have, to give yourself an improved chance of admission.

Overall, you have a strong profile and leadership experience to date. I would encourage you to provide some context around the distinctions and charters that you have received (e.g. what proportion of people who take the test pass on the first try, etc.). Additionally, given your GMAT score level, you might frame your stories in the essays around addressing the weaker of the two splits (quant and verbal). My guess is that your quant score is higher than the verbal, in which case you can use your leadership experience to focus on stories about persuasion, presentation, implementation, and communication.

The other item that strikes me in your profile is that, with a team of 200 in a Big 4 organization, you seem to be perhaps better suited to an executive MBA program and not a full-time MBA program. This is based on your extensive work experience and current seniority level, but you would also benefit from an EMBA application since they typically weigh the GMAT (directionally) less than that of full-time programs. In fact, some EMBA programs do not require the GMAT at all.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Profile evaluation:
Background: 30 year-old male Asian American, married, has a 4 and a 5 year-old (does that matter?). Multicultural - Born in China and immigrated to US at age 18. Proficient in both English and Chinese.

Undergrad School and GPA: SUNY Binghamton, Computer science major, 2.95 GPA (no special reason for the low gpa, it is just due to immaturity)

Post-MBA goal:
Short term: Career change - like to change from working in small business to working in big corporation. Interested in general management and/or entrepreneurship (can i put both as my areas of interest??), like to get into a good management trainee program after MBA.

Long term: Becoming a operational leader, in Asia-Pacific region, of a US or international company (utilize my multicultural background).

I started working in a small computer networking company. The company implements internet networks for hotels. I was a team leader in the tech-support department. My work duties include overseeing tech-support staffs, monitoring the client’s networks, and maintaining a good relationship with the clients.

After the networking company, I worked in a small retail business (a chain of two local cellular phone stores). I started as a IT Consultant. In one year, I was promoted as an assistant GM and became a business partner. In two more years, I became the General Manager (my current title). Under my supervision, the company structure was enhanced, new positions and departments were created, the total revenue was significantly increased, and four more new stores were opened in the upstate New York region.

Extracurricular:
1. one thing i really proud about myself is my photography skills. I consider my skill matches a "seasonal-pro", just that i don't charge people. i do photo shoot occasionally for some friends and families' special events. i do landscaping photography too, maybe i can include some of my works along with one of the essay that talks about myself?
2. I do magic tricks, but mostly for children at some private parties. I am not as good as profession who can make a living with such skills, but i would say i am experience enough to call myself an amateur magician.
3. I am a guitarist. Back in college time, I played in a band(one reason for the low GPA, lol), and actively involved with the music worship for the student christian fellowship group. I am also a worship team member currently in my church (i guess that kind of overlaps with the community work.
4. I like skiing and snowboarding, but i don't think those have anything to do with my MBA application, correct?

Community work: I used to be an interpreter in my church, but I became too busy and didn't continue that role. I am currently a guitarist in the music worship team in my church.

Questions:
1. Am I getting a good chance get accepted by the above schools? I understand my weaknesses include low under-grad GPA and lack of corporate exposure. Are my working experience and the 740 GMAT going to offset the weakness in my application? I heard about taking courses in community college to offset low undergrad GPA, but I don’t have such time because of work.

2. About recommendations: As a general manager, the only person above me is the business owner. He is going to give me a good recommendation demonstrating my achievement at work. I am planning to have my counselor at Christian fellowship to write me the second recommendation. As my counselor, she knows me pretty well. Also, I worked with her closely as I coordinated a couple music events for the fellowship. She should be able to give me some good words about my leadership skills. Is that a good combination of recommendation letters?

3. About area of interest, i am not so sure about entrepreneurship or general management. can i put both? or if i have to pick entrepreneurship, will it go with my long term goal just fine? I want to put entrepreneurship because i feel like it is closer to what i am doing at my job, therefore increases the change of acceptance.

4. My salary is significantly lower than average. Is that something bad for my application? That is because as business partners, both I and the business owner agreed that it is the best now to reserve the money for the company growth. Should I use the optional essay to make that clear?

5. According to my profile, would it be a waste of money to try one of the top 10? like sloan?

tr1ckythe0ry,

Thank you for your profile submission and your questions. Based on the information as provided and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 740, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Sloan, between a stretch and competitive candidate (closer to stretch) at Stern, between stretch and competitive (closer to competitive) at Darden and Johnson, and between competitive and strong at McCombs.

On to your profile specifics and your questions:

- Having a child or children while applying to a top MBA program would not necessarily hurt or help you, all things equal. Many Chinese and Indian students who apply and are of your age range have families. You might want to make mention of the extracurricular groups that top MBA programs all have around children and families as something that you would contribute to on campus.
- In terms of the personal interests you list and which might be appropriate to include in the application or on your resume, I might personally avoid the magic trick component. On the other hand, definitely include your abilities and passion for photography - but also describe the types of events that you have photographed in the past. You can mention ski/ snowboarding as a personal interest, and if true you could mention that you might use this interest as a reason to get involved with the ski trips that many top MBA programs organize.
- Since, as you point out, you do not have experience in a larger organization, make sure to explicitly list and quantify the accomplishments you have contributed to - it does appear that you have had a big impact on the growth of the company you work for right now.

On framing your work experience and your future career goals:
- It strikes me that you have essentially been working in an entrepreneurial environment in your past history with the retail work, and that you effectively have been supporting another entrepreneur (the owner) in this respect. As such, you might frame yourself as having build up a lot of entrepreneurial experience in this "#2" role and are looking for the MBA to help you start a venture on your own going forward. If you want to list a general management career as a goal, you can, but we typically advise clients to try to pick a 'primary' objective in the short term. Your long-term career interest in leading a division of a multinational in the Asia-Pacific region makes sense with your background and language skills. I think you would just need to make a bridge / connection between being an entrepreneur and then translating that to working in a large organization.

As to your specific questions -
1) It would help your profile to take a class and excel in it to help offset your undergraduate GPA. You mention that the reason for the GPA is not because of working while in school, taking on a double major, graduating in less time than your peers, etc. but instead because of a lack of attention spent in coursework. If you do want to apply to top 10 programs, then I would strongly encourage you to take a course so that you can provide those results. Keep in mind as well that your age (30) starts to detract from your profile somewhat with each year going forward - I would not recommend that you wait a year to apply to take a course.

2) Having your current partner as a recommender makes sense. The counselor is less clear as a solid recommendation, although in situations where there is only one "boss" we have seeen this kind of approach make sense. You might also consider a recommendation from your first work experience, although the downside here is that that relationship reflects your accomplishments and seniority / abilities from further in the past. If you do go with the counselor, it would make sense to prep this person over the course of 1-2 conversations about what is an MBA, why you want one, and how the MBA recommendation form will ask this person to evaluate you. This is to make sure that the person has the right context to fill out the form - my guess is that he/she would not have done this in the past for an MBA.

3) Discussed above

4) I'm a bit unclear as to why your salary should be low, although for the owner I would understand more. If you have equity in the company, then I would understand why your salary is low. Otherwise, it strikes me that you perhaps have received a bit of an unfair salary and could potentially negotiate for either more salary or equity.

5) Discussed in chances above

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Profile evaluation:
Background: 30 year-old male Asian American, married, has a 4 and a 5 year-old (does that matter?). Multicultural - Born in China and immigrated to US at age 18. Proficient in both English and Chinese.

Post-MBA goal:
Short term: Career change - like to change from working in small business to working in big corporation. Interested in general management and/or entrepreneurship (can i put both as my areas of interest??), like to get into a good management trainee program after MBA.

Extracurricular:

Questions:

tr1ckythe0ry,

Thank you for your profile submission and your questions. Based on the information as provided and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 740, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Sloan, between a stretch and competitive candidate (closer to stretch) at Stern, between stretch and competitive (closer to competitive) at Darden and Johnson, and between competitive and strong at McCombs.

On to your profile specifics and your questions:

- Having a child or children while applying to a top MBA program would not necessarily hurt or help you, all things equal. Many Chinese and Indian students who apply and are of your age range have families. You might want to make mention of the extracurricular groups that top MBA programs all have around children and families as something that you would contribute to on campus.
- In terms of the personal interests you list and which might be appropriate to include in the application or on your resume, I might personally avoid the magic trick component. On the other hand, definitely include your abilities and passion for photography - but also describe the types of events that you have photographed in the past. You can mention ski/ snowboarding as a personal interest, and if true you could mention that you might use this interest as a reason to get involved with the ski trips that many top MBA programs organize.
- Since, as you point out, you do not have experience in a larger organization, make sure to explicitly list and quantify the accomplishments you have contributed to - it does appear that you have had a big impact on the growth of the company you work for right now.

On framing your work experience and your future career goals:
- It strikes me that you have essentially been working in an entrepreneurial environment in your past history with the retail work, and that you effectively have been supporting another entrepreneur (the owner) in this respect. As such, you might frame yourself as having built up a lot of entrepreneurial experience in this "#2" role and are looking for the MBA to help you start a venture on your own going forward. If you want to list a general management career as a goal, you can, but we typically advise clients to try to pick a 'primary' objective in the short term. Your long-term career interest in leading a division of a multinational in the Asia-Pacific region makes sense with your background and language skills. I think you would just need to make a bridge / connection between being an entrepreneur and then translating that to working in a large organization.

As to your specific questions -
1) It would help your profile to take a class and excel in it to help offset your undergraduate GPA. You mention that the reason for the GPA is not because of working while in school, taking on a double major, graduating in less time than your peers, etc. but instead because of a lack of attention spent in coursework. If you do want to apply to top 10 programs, then I would strongly encourage you to take a course so that you can provide those results. Keep in mind as well that your age (30) starts to detract from your profile somewhat with each year going forward - I would not recommend that you wait a year to apply to take a course.

2) Having your current partner as a recommender makes sense. The counselor is less clear as a solid recommendation, although in situations where there is only one "boss" we have seeen this kind of approach make sense. You might also consider a recommendation from your first work experience, although the downside here is that that relationship reflects your accomplishments and seniority / abilities from further in the past. If you do go with the counselor, it would make sense to prep this person over the course of 1-2 conversations about what is an MBA, why you want one, and how the MBA recommendation form will ask this person to evaluate you. This is to make sure that the person has the right context to fill out the form - my guess is that he/she would not have done this in the past for an MBA.

3) Discussed above

4) I'm a bit unclear as to why your salary should be low, although for the owner I would understand more. If you have equity in the company, then I would understand why your salary is low. Otherwise, it strikes me that you perhaps have received a bit of an unfair salary and could potentially negotiate for either more salary or equity.

5) Discussed in chances above

Best of luck,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Brian ,

Please evaluate my profile.

Here is a brief of my profile :

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communications - GPA 3.7
GMAT1 630(Q50 ,V25)
GMAT2 680 (Q49,V33)

Professional Background: Experience: 5 years (as of August-2012)
1) Senior Analyst 2010 - present: Credit Risk Analytic at a Boutique Consulting
Currently working with the largest retail bank in UK to develop strategies and insights to advise clients on the following :

Customer acquisition ,Customer retention,Loss Minimization on High Credit Limit accounts,Collection strategies to minimize loss on delinquent accounts etc.
Strategies to minimize Loss Given Default (LGD) and Probability of Default(PD) of high risk segments within a time period. The LGD has a direct impact on the Balance sheet of the Bank and as such the strategies mentioned above have saved the bank in millions

2) 2007-2010: Business Analyst at a Major IT MNC
Started as trainee for the learning Infrastructure development team , was promoted to the level of lead in 4 months , took
the responsibilites of handling the entire offshore delievery management, was awarded for the same by the client.

Continued to work in the same domain for another client and developed my skills further to get into the business side of the domain ,
I was specifically asked to handle the pre-sales activities, I trained around 4-5 associates at my workplace during the
same time as we tried aggressively to get a $1,000,000 project for our team , The project was in a open bid state and 2
other vendors were asked to send proposals etc.

NGO experience - Worked for an NGO from within the organization to help the underprivileged children, of Denotified tribal area , in accessing a continuous stream of education. Involved in speaking to small fund donors and gathering volunteers.

Rock Band in Undergraduate Institute - Performed Live and backstage at various competitive events across State.

Head of Cultural Committee in Undergraduate Institute - Funds collections , marketing events for the various year round activities

Member of Core marketting committee in Undergraduate Institute - Marketing spotlight events across state, inviting high budget sponsors for event sponsorship

Languages known: English , Hindi , German(Speaking)

I would want to leverage my Credit Risk Analytic experience and work post MBA for a Big 4 in their Risk Advisory domain, or leverage the same experience to work for a large lending Institution in their Credit risk vertical.

Area of interest: Consulting

Target Schools:

Ambitious - Ross , Duke, Cornell , Darden
Safe - UTMccombs , Tepper , HKUST , USC, NUS

Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Brian ,

Please evaluate my profile.

Here is a brief of my profile :

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communications - GPA 3.7
GMAT1 630(Q50 ,V25)
GMAT2 680 (Q49,V33)

Professional Background: Experience: 5 years (as of August-2012)
1) Senior Analyst 2010 - present: Credit Risk Analytic at a Boutique Consulting
Currently working with the largest retail bank in UK to develop strategies and insights to advise clients on the following :

Customer acquisition ,Customer retention,Loss Minimization on High Credit Limit accounts,Collection strategies to minimize loss on delinquent accounts etc.
Strategies to minimize Loss Given Default (LGD) and Probability of Default(PD) of high risk segments within a time period. The LGD has a direct impact on the Balance sheet of the Bank and as such the strategies mentioned above have saved the bank in millions

2) 2007-2010: Business Analyst at a Major IT MNC
Started as trainee for the learning Infrastructure development team , was promoted to the level of lead in 4 months , took
the responsibilites of handling the entire offshore delievery management, was awarded for the same by the client.

Continued to work in the same domain for another client and developed my skills further to get into the business side of the domain ,
I was specifically asked to handle the pre-sales activities, I trained around 4-5 associates at my workplace during the
same time as we tried aggressively to get a $1,000,000 project for our team , The project was in a open bid state and 2
other vendors were asked to send proposals etc.

NGO experience - Worked for an NGO from within the organization to help the underprivileged children, of Denotified tribal area , in accessing a continuous stream of education. Involved in speaking to small fund donors and gathering volunteers.

Rock Band in Undergraduate Institute - Performed Live and backstage at various competitive events across State.

Head of Cultural Committee in Undergraduate Institute - Funds collections , marketing events for the various year round activities

Member of Core marketting committee in Undergraduate Institute - Marketing spotlight events across state, inviting high budget sponsors for event sponsorship

Languages known: English , Hindi , German(Speaking)

I would want to leverage my Credit Risk Analytic experience and work post MBA for a Big 4 in their Risk Advisory domain, or leverage the same experience to work for a large lending Institution in their Credit risk vertical.

Area of interest: Consulting

Target Schools:

Ambitious - Ross , Duke, Cornell , Darden
Safe - UTMccombs , Tepper , HKUST , USC, NUS

crackHSW,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 680, our experience indicates you would be between a stretch and competitive candidate (closer to stretch) at Ross and Fuqua, between stretch and competitive at Johnson and Darden, competitive at Tepper, and competitive to strong at McCombs and Marshall. We have a bit less of an ability to provide precise chances for NUS and HKUST, but chances there would most likely be within what we see for those at Tepper.

In terms of your profile -

1) The undergraduate institution you attended and its relative prestige will be a factor, particularly since your GMAT score is lower than average for top MBA programs. I am not sure if you are converting your grades into a 4.0 scale or not, but regardless, be able to articulate how your GPA placed you amongst your class (e.g. percentile). You will want to paint your academic background in as rigorous and positive a light as possible so as to help offset your GMAT.

2) Since you scored higher in the quant on the GMAT, have worked in a quant-heavy job after graduation, and have a technical degree, there is not going to be a significant amount of concern from the ad com about your ability to handle the technical side of the MBA curriculum. However, where you will want to focus your essays are on stories of communication, persuasion, presentation, and leadership, given your lower verbal GMAT split. For example, although your work was tied to analysis, the framing of your stories could be around how you convinced the client to implement your ideas/proposals, etc. Separately, I notice in some instances your overviews of your job responsibilities are somewhat organized in sentences that are run-ons, so just be sure that your resume and application do not contain these.

3) Since you have worked for two organizations, make sure to talk about why you switched roles from 1 firm to the next. It appears as though you left for a more senior position, so this is good.

The most important point, however, is what you write about your future career goals. They are tied to your background and seem achievable, both of which are great. At the same time, you might consider making the point in the essay that you would need the MBA to help you achieve this kind of role. Based on our experience, I am not sure that the ad coms would read your career goals and think that you absolutely would need the MBA to obtain this kind of position - your background might already qualify you, especially for a corporate job. Also think about how the degree would help in the long-term.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi Brian,
Please evaluate my profile,planning to apply for fall 2013

M/25/Indian
Academics:
Class 10 -84
Class 12 - 82
Undergrad : 58%
Gmat 710

Professional: - 2 years experience(as of now) in Indian IT Industry.Will have total exp. of 3 years next fall
-Working in an Indian IT mid-size company(Revenues : 1BN $), Clients over the past 2 years have been telecom majors of UK & US
- A Fast Promotion
-International Experience (6 months in UK) ,leading a team
-Working mainly on the functional side than technical side of technology implementation projects.Functional consultant role.
-2 professional certifications(No one in the company hold this which is knowledge critical to projects)

Extracurricular activities :
-Recipient of many awards in schools
-Member of school cricket team
-Organized tech fests at undergrad level
-Working with an NGO supporting underprivileged kids
-Actively participate in firm's CSR initiative
-Trekking and travelling enthusiast
-Other interests include keen interest in current affairs.

Languages known : English,Spanish and 3 other languages

Why MBA : Career progression,move into general management/strategy

Target Schools : Kellogg,Tuck,Ross,Duke,Darden,UCLA,Stern,Mc Combs.

Any suggestions from your side on which schools fit my profile and also work experience ?...

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Brian,
Would like to add -
-Class representative in School
-Computer Engineer from Pune University(Top Ranked university in India)

Thanks
Mil
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  75