Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Magoosh
Own Kudos [?]: 845 [148]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [23]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Using the "On a white bus" Mnemonic for Run-on Sentences [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
1) Although offering a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century — indeed the name comes from the Italian forte (“loud”) + piano (“soft”) — the fortepiano would now sound dynamically limited compared to our modern grand pianos.

A. Although offering a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century

reduces to : the original fortepiano....................the fortepiano would now : ( Does it make any sense ?) = Eliminate

B. Although the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century, offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord

reduces to : Although the original X offered a dynamic range..................X would now sound = perfect

C. Although it offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original pianoforte, invented in the early eighteenth century

reduces to : The original pianoforte .................................... The fortepiano = Does it make any sense ?) = Eliminated

D. Invented in the early eighteenth century, the original pianoforte offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord

reduces to : X offered a dynamic range.........................X would now sound = RUN ON = Eliminated

E. The original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century, although it offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord

Reduces to : The fortepiano, although it offered a dyanamic range...............the forte piano would now sound = need to set one of the fortepiano free from the shackles = Eliminated

leading to B , my take
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Using the "On a white bus" Mnemonic for Run-on Sentences [#permalink]
very well expalined. kudos to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Learn how this grammar mistake appears in the most insidious [#permalink]
Awesome post margarette, kudos for the same

the only thing that confuses me is absence of comma in the answer choice b

while fish swims, Birds fly.
after addition of conjunction "while" we also added a comma to distinguish between the two clauses.

shouldn't the answer choice b have a comma in between??

Although the original X offered a dynamic range, X would now sound
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sid22 wrote:

after addition of conjunction "while" we also added a comma to distinguish between the two clauses.

I'm Margarette's colleague, the original author of the SC question above. I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, the rule about a comma separating a subordinate conjunction from the rest of the sentence is not a rigid absolute rule. It's certainly true in the vast majority of cases, but don't fixate on it as an absolutely necessity. Here, in this sentence, the break between the subordinate clause and the main part of the sentence is provided by a phrase marked off by dashes. A phrase set off by dashes provides a strong break in the flow of a sentence, so this is more than sufficient to take the place of most comma breaks that would normally appear.

Although the original X offered a dynamic range, X would now sound like that. --- comma break

Although the original X offered a dynamic range --- bigger than you would expect ---- X would now sound like that. --- break provided by phrase set off by dashes

Does that make sense?

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
sid22 wrote:

I'm Margarette's colleague, the original author of the SC question above. I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, the rule about a comma separating a subordinate conjunction from the rest of the sentence is not a rigid absolute rule. It's certainly true in the vast majority of cases, but don't fixate on it as an absolutely necessity. Here, in this sentence, the break between the subordinate clause and the main part of the sentence is provided by a phrase marked off by dashes. A phrase set off by dashes provides a strong break in the flow of a sentence, so this is more than sufficient to take the place of most comma breaks that would normally appear.

Although the original X offered a dynamic range, X would now sound like that. --- comma break

Although the original X offered a dynamic range --- bigger than you would expect ---- X would now sound like that. --- break provided by phrase set off by dashes

Does that make sense?

thanks mike ..your explanation makes sense
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
sid22 wrote:

Does that make sense?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the wonderful post....

Can you please shed some more light on the Comma+ Subordinate Conjunction and Without comma?

Thanks in advance
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Learn how this grammar mistake appears in the most insidious [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Mountain14 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Can you please shed some more light on the Comma+ Subordinate Conjunction and Without comma?

Thanks in advance

Dear Mountain14,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Hmmm. That's an intriguing question. First of all, keep in mind that, as a general rule, the GMAT SC does NOT test punctuation. Punctuation differences among the answer choices might be useful in discerning the grammar & meaning, but ultimately these matter, not the punctuation itself.

So far as I know, all Subordinate Clauses beginning with the "ON A WHITE BUS" conjunctions always are set off by commas. I believe the only subordinate clauses that regularly are not set off with commas are that clauses modifying nouns (a.k.a. adjectival clauses) that are vital noun modifiers.
Any man who hates dogs and children can't be all bad. --- W. C. Fields
The hand that signed the paper felled the city. --- Dylan Thomas
They also serve who only stand and wait. --- John Milton
In each of those, the adjectival clause, underlined, is a vital noun modifier, so it isn't set off by commas.
See this post for more on adjectival clauses:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/
See these posts for more on vital noun modifiers:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Does all this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance

Dear Mountain14,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Hmmm. That's an intriguing question. First of all, keep in mind that, as a general rule, the GMAT SC does NOT test punctuation. Punctuation differences among the answer choices might be useful in discerning the grammar & meaning, but ultimately these matter, not the punctuation itself.

So far as I know, all Subordinate Clauses beginning with the "ON A WHITE BUS" conjunctions always are set off by commas. I believe the only subordinate clauses that regularly are not set off with commas are that clauses modifying nouns (a.k.a. adjectival clauses) that are vital noun modifiers.
Any man who hates dogs and children can't be all bad. --- W. C. Fields
The hand that signed the paper felled city. --- Dylan Thomas
The also serve who only stand and wait. --- John Milton
In each of those, the adjectival clause, underlined, is a vital noun modifier, so it isn't set off by commas.
See this post for more on adjectival clauses:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/
See these posts for more on vital noun modifiers:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Does all this make sense?

Thanks Mike,

Will keep these tips handy....

:-D

~M14
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
In choice D, there is a squinting Modifier Problem! So this is not a choice at all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Great article - helped to understand the run-on funda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Although offering a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century — indeed the name comes from the Italian forte (“loud”) + piano (“soft”) — the fortepiano would now sound dynamically limited compared to our modern grand pianos.

A. Although offering a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century
--> lack of "main verb".
B. Although the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century, offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord
--> correct.
C. Although it offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original pianoforte, invented in the early eighteenth century
--> run-on.
D. Invented in the early eighteenth century, the original pianoforte offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord
--> lack of conjunction.
E. The original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century, although it offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord
--> run-on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
hey mikemcgarry that was a very well crafted sentence. Thanks to you and @margarate we now have one tool to better handle SC on the exam day! On A White Bus, you beauty!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE:Business Development (Accounting)
Send PM
crashVcrush wrote:
1) Although offering a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century — indeed the name comes from the Italian forte (“loud”) + piano (“soft”) — the fortepiano would now sound dynamically limited compared to our modern grand pianos.

reduces to : the original fortepiano....................the fortepiano would now : ( Does it make any sense ?) = Eliminate

reduces to : Although the original X offered a dynamic range..................X would now sound = perfect

reduces to : The original pianoforte .................................... The fortepiano = Does it make any sense ?) = Eliminated

reduces to : X offered a dynamic range.........................X would now sound = RUN ON = Eliminated

Reduces to : The fortepiano, although it offered a dyanamic range...............the forte piano would now sound = need to set one of the fortepiano free from the shackles = Eliminated

leading to B , my take

Hi could you explain, why did you not cut through [ Although the original fortepiano ] for option B, and for rest of options you did. I am trying to learn this better. What is the difference here in B than rest. Is it because its the only sentence that has mentioned main subject? i.e. [the orignl fortepiano]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE:Business Development (Accounting)
Send PM
What is a bonafide verb or a noun? Anyone?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
margarette wrote:
Learn how this grammar mistake appears in the most insidious guises on the GMAT Sentence Correction, from Magoosh's Mike McGarry

We all know run-on sentence are bad. There probably was a middle-aged middle school English teacher who rammed that into your brain: run-on sentence = bad. The problem is: many people have only a fuzzy idea about what constitutes a run-on sentence. For example, clearly the following is a run-on:

When I woke up I ate my breakfast I walked out the door saw my friend Herbert he lives across the street we talked about . . .

Of course, any of us can spot the run-on there. Here’s the challenge, though. Read the following question: see if you can find the run-on sentence(s) among the five answer choices.

Try both to answer this question correct and to spot the incorrect “run-on sentence” answer choice. I will discuss this in detail at the end of the post.

A Review of Grammar Basics

First of all, a review of a few grammar basics. An independent clause is a clause that could stand on its own as a complete sentence: it must have a noun and a verb. Every sentence needs at least one independent clause as its core statement. We can join two independent clauses with a coordinating conjunction (e.g. and, or, but, nor, for, yet, so, etc.) We can also take an independent clause and make it dependent (a.k.a subordinate) by putting a subordinating conjunction in front of it; in this case, a different independent clause would have to remain independent as the core statement of the full sentence. Folks sometimes use the mnemonic “on a white bus” to remember the subordinating conjunctions in English:

O = only if

N = now that

A = although, after, as

WH = while, when, whereas, whenever, wherever, whether or not

I = if, in case

T = though

E = even though, even if

B = because, before

U = until, unless

S = since, so (that)

You can join independent clauses with coordinating conjunctions, and/or you can include one or more dependent clauses as long at the sentence overall has an independent clause.

What Exactly is a Run-On Sentence?

A run-on sentence is the juxtaposition of two independent clauses without an appropriate conjunction. It need not be long. All you need for an independent clause is two words, a subject + a verb. Therefore, all you need for a run-on sentence is four words; for example:

Fish swim birds fly.

That sentence is a classic run-on sentence: noun verb noun verb, with no conjunction of any kind. We could make it a correct “not run-on” sentence either by adding a coordinating conjunction (“Fish swim, but birds fly.”) or a subordinating conjunction (“While fish swim, birds fly.”)

OK, so far, that’s not too challenging: even if we didn’t know the reason, we would also easily recognize “Fish swim birds fly” as a grammatically incorrect sentence. The problem comes when this fundamental run-on structure (noun verb noun verb) is obscured by a host of modifiers and other detail. For example:

Joyce’s novel Ulysses, loosely organized around the structure of Homer’s Odyssey, employs in each chapter a different language game, which mirrors in an intimate way both the action of the chapter and its Homeric referent, his final novel Finnegans Wake, which took Joyce 20 years to complete, abandons all conventions of plot, unfolding instead as a continuous 400-page dream-like river of imagery meant to evoke the “monomyth.”

Beneath all the detail, that sentence is a run-on sentence. We have noun-verb-noun-verb (“Ulysses … employs … Finnegans Wake … abandons”) without any conjunction joining them. If we just put the word “but” before “his final novel Finnegans Wake,” or put the word “while” at the beginning of the sentence, then Voila! —- either alteration would make the sentence “non-run-on” and 100% grammatically correct.

BTW, I am huge James Joyce fan, and I highly recommend both of those novels — when you are no longer preparing for the GMAT!

The Practice Question

Having deepened your understanding of run-on sentences, you may want to take a second crack at this sentence before reading the explanation.

Although offering a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century
Although the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century, offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord
Although it offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original pianoforte, invented in the early eighteenth century
Invented in the early eighteenth century, the original pianoforte offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord
The original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century, although it offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord

Explanation of the Practice Question

(A) Although offering a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century

This is one of the classic mistakes on the GMAT Sentence Correction. A subordinating conjunction such as “although” must be followed by a bonafide noun-verb, not simply by a participle. Correct: “Although the original fortepiano offered etc.” Incorrect: “Although offering etc.” In addition to that mistake, notice that, after the first comma, we have the free-standing noun “the original fortepiano,” a subject without a verb. (A) has a few mistakes, so it is incorrect.

(B) Although the original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century, offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord

This one correctly follows “Although” with a bonafide noun-verb clause. In fact, (B) is the correct answer.

(C) Although it offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord, the original pianoforte, invented in the early eighteenth century

This one correctly follows “Although” with a bonafide noun-verb clause, but then has the free-standing noun “the original fortepiano,” a subject without a verb. (C) is incorrect.

(D) Invented in the early eighteenth century, the original pianoforte offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord

This one begins with the statement “invented in the early eighteenth century”: this is a minor detail, tangential to the main point of the sentence, so it’s somewhat jarring as the opening of the sentence. The BIG problem with this one, though, is that we have independent clause “the original pianoforte offered …” and then, after the dashed section, another independent clause “the fortepiano would now sound …” and there’s no conjunction. This is the run-on sentence, and therefore, (D) is incorrect.

(E) The original fortepiano, invented in the early eighteenth century, although it offered a dynamic range simply absent on the harpsichord

This one is strange. We get a subject, followed by a modifier and then a subordinate clause, but there’s no verb. We have a free-standing noun without a verb. This sentence has the form noun-noun-verb, not exactly a run-on, but still very much incorrect.

Search the complex SC questions, in the OG and elsewhere, and you will find run-on sentences disguises, as this one was, lurking among the answer choices. With a clearer understand of run-ons, you will be that much more efficient in tackling GMAT Sentence Correction.

Option B also has 2 independent clauses with the fortepiano being the subject and offered being the verb for the first part and the second independent clause after the dashed section. So why is the option not a run on sentence??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
A subordinating conjunction such as “although” must be followed by a bonafide noun-verb, not simply by a participle
As a part of explanation to the solution can anyone explain this to me why this must be true or perhaps refer a link to the article on MGMAT SC guide or anywhere over the internet?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts