Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [12]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools:ABCD
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [4]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
voodoochild wrote:
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal.
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel.
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design.

OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

I am unsure about all the five answer choices.

Thanks

Responding to a pm: Why do you feel that the travel agent is disagreeing with the author? The travel agent's argument is the same as the argument of the author. He says that the book claims so and so and the claim is justified by a thorough comparison of so and so etc. I don't see the travel agent disagreeing with the author or being skeptical of the book/author. If anything, the use of the word 'thorough' makes me feel that he is trying to persuade the listener of the author's opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:IIM
 Q49  V24
Send PM
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu [#permalink]
Kudos
A is not looking a good answer.

The premise says that the travel agent has compared 25 popular European hotels with 25 popular American hotels. So, how can he review the hotels which serve his purpose.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools:ABCD
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
voodoochild wrote:
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.

OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

Thanks

Responding to a pm: Why do you feel that the travel agent is disagreeing with the author? The travel agent's argument is the same as the argument of the author. He says that the book claims so and so and the claim is justified by a thorough comparison of so and so etc. I don't see the travel agent disagreeing with the author or being skeptical of the book/author. If anything, the use of the word 'thorough' makes me feel that he is trying to persuade the listener of the author's opinion.

Karishma,
Thanks for your reply. The entire article, in my opinion, has a neutral language. The word "thorough" could also imply a neutral analysis about the study.
In fact, after re-reading the prompt, I feel that the agent is not agreeing. (confused :( )
Let's take an example :
Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it? In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem?

The gmatprep question clearly states the stand "In this the book must be right"..I just to make sure that I am not missing anything in this problem. Please let me know your thoughts.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
+1 A

Probably, the group of European hotels is not representative.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [0]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
voodoochild wrote:

Thanks

I agree with your point. a) supports Travel agent's argument.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
voodoochild wrote:

Karishma,
Thanks for your reply. The entire article, in my opinion, has a neutral language. The word "thorough" could also imply a neutral analysis about the study.
In fact, after re-reading the prompt, I feel that the agent is not agreeing. (confused :( )
Let's take an example :
Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it? In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem?

The gmatprep question clearly states the stand "In this the book must be right"..I just to make sure that I am not missing anything in this problem. Please let me know your thoughts.

I replied to this post yesterday but I cannot see it anywhere today. Anyway, I will give the gist of what I wrote yesterday:

Quote:"Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it?"

You are right. I certainly get the feeling that Tom doesn't agree. But this argument does not parallel the original argument.

Quote: "Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones. "

The last sentence is a part of the book's conclusion. The author of the book found that none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones and hence, none of the American hotels were as well designed as European ones.
The travel agent is just telling you what the author did and what he found. He is not giving his own input.

Quote: "In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem"

It is on the same lines, definitely. Actually, we strive to do that so that you can practice "GMAT like questions". Just like in the GMAT prep questions, here too the travel agent is supporting the book even though the stand is not clearly given.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks Karishma

But how do we know that the last sentence is book's conclusion and not agent's conclusion?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
getgyan wrote:
Thanks Karishma

But how do we know that the last sentence is book's conclusion and not agent's conclusion?

How will the travel agent know that the American hotels were not as complexly designed as the European ones? Only the author, who has done a thorough comparison, can say it, isn't it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
getgyan wrote:
Thanks Karishma

How will the travel agent know that the American hotels were not as complexly designed as the European ones? Only the author, who has done a thorough comparison, can say it, isn't it?

Thanks,

But why not? It would then be an assumption. What if the last sentence was agent's conclusion? How would the answer change?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
this is a common pattern in gmat, but it is hard to detect.
Using POE, only E is left.
Using the logic, A is right because A points out the flaw that the sample has been unfairly chosen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
why it is not C. here we are talking about 25 popular hotels in europe and america. i was confused between A and C and opted for C and got it wrong.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
brs1cob wrote:
why it is not C. here we are talking about 25 popular hotels in europe and america. i was confused between A and C and opted for C and got it wrong.

C cannot be the answer b/c the main idea of C is all about the key word "other books". Also, C attacks the credibility of the author of the argument, not the argument itself; this is known as a common fallacy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Can anyone please tell me what is the problem with choice B. The conclusion is American hotels are better than European Hotel and the comparison which is being used here is the complexity . If we can show that there can be other criterion for measuring comparison then the argument gets weakened .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Tanmoy93 wrote:
Can anyone please tell me what is the problem with choice B. The conclusion is American hotels are better than European Hotel and the comparison which is being used here is the complexity . If we can show that there can be other criterion for measuring comparison then the argument gets weakened .

Author compares American hotels' design to European hotels' design.
Even if hotels are judged by other merits (i.e. facilities, customer service), the judgement on design isn't affected. Thus, B doesn't weaken travel agent's argument.

This question tests concept of representative sampling, one of the most common argument patterns in CR. Here are the posts you may find useful
Sampling in Official GMAT CR Questions
Frequently Appearing Patterns on the GMAT CR Section with Practice Q

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
voodoochild wrote:

Thanks

We have to find an option , which will make us realise that American hotels design are not inferior when compared to European hotels. Note : The author has judged this based on the book.

Yes you may be get confused between B and A ! In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels !! This statement is very much important , which made it clear because of the book the author could complain. So the author's knowledge can be limited to the book , which he is referring to ! If it was only regarding hotels , which option B states Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design , then it could have been the option. But over here , the reasoning is made on the basis of the book.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 769
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Tanmoy93 wrote:

Tanmoy93

The argument states that the hotels are compared based on design, see this line "the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels". So we don't need to consider other factors as we are only concerned about design.

In this case we are comparing 25 American hotels and 25 European hotels, and what if the selection of hotels is biased? For example, we cannot compare Hilton in Europe to some ABC hotel in America which is probably a 3 Start hotel.
So option A states, "The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal." which will definitely break the authors claim that none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones because the comparison is not fair.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Thank you everyone for clearing my silly doubt. Really appreciate your efforts.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts