Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [224]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: BEST MBA Application Tips from Alumni and Students [Revamped Thread] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Interview Tips

Newly Added! From himpuju (Admits from IIM-A, BU Questrom, Oxford, and ASU Carey) Tips are taken from his application debrief Indian IT Male Age 35 - 13 interviews, 4 admits, 2 full scholarships
Quote:
Some key tips for interviews:
[*] Write all the answers to usual questions like introduction, why MBA, why this school, post-MBA short term and long term goals, leadership examples, team skill examples, achievements, challenges, failures, USP, extra-curriculars etc in a concise bullet point format. Don’t memorize them, just remember the points and elaborate them during the interview.
[*] Practice to answer each of these question within 2 minutes. Don’t take more than 2 min 30 seconds for an answer as the interviewer tends to lose focus when the answer is long.
[*] Give as many mock interviews as possible with your admission consultant / contacts who can take interviews like these.
[*] Tell the Leadership example, team example, achievement, challenge example etc answers in STAR format discussed above in the essay section.
[*] Again, try to quantify your achievements.
[*] Make a note of your strengths and try to convey some of these while answering every question in the interview if possible. You can even mention them repeatedly as long as they are relevant to the answers. The more the interviewers hear about your strengths the more they will remember. For example, if you have a significant international experience then try to mention it wherever possible.
[*] During the interview, maintain eye contact with the interviewer and take cue from the body language of the interviewer. If they seem to be bored, cut short your answer.
[*] Try to be confident, don’t get nervous. Speak slowly and clearly. Your voice should be audible, not feeble, not loud. All these things can be practiced during the mock interviews.
[*] When the interviewers ask whether you have any questions, ask some questions the answer to which is not readily available in the school website. You can always ask about their personal experience. However, you should at least ask one question even if it sounds stupid.
[*] Send a ‘Thank you’ mail to the interviewers immediately after the interview. Try to mention about the specific details the interviewers provided while answering your question and how they helped you. This gives a nice impression about you.

Newly Added! From Mimster (Admits from Kellogg and UCLA) Tips are taken from her application debrief Dream Big then Bigger: From 550 to 740 to Kellogg
Quote:
The key to good interview is being memorable. I read the book called 'made to stick' and applied the principles of the book to interviewing. First of all, interviewer's attention span is quite... sad. They've been through tonnes of talk with people, so an interviewee's job is to make interviewer's day better. You don't have to throw in fancy words, just rearrange your story in such a way that can be summarized within 1 - 2 sentences. Second, be enthusiastic and generally amicable. My interview is conducted through skype so I tried myself to sound chirpy at 2am in the goddamn morning. Show that you care about the school. Third, know your main 3 - 4 stories that makes you shine at a candidate and try to bridge them to the question the interviewer asks. Lastly, do a lot of practice... get friends... consultants... whatever, just do it so much that you can answer questions on instinct if someone as 'Why do you want an MBA' on the elevator and you had 60 seconds.

Quote:
For international students: choose off-campus interview in your country instead of on-campus one. It will be much easier to explain all your achievements and motives.

Walker
Booth

Quote:
Is it better to interview on campus or in your local area? I imagine doing interviews with alumns A LOT easier than adcoms. You won't be as nervous, and the conversations would go much smoother. But then again, these alumns don't have as much pull as an adcom. Should I take the risk and go interview with an adcom?

After researching this topic last year, I decided that optimally I should go on-campus for interviews and pray that I got an adcom. I feel like I interview well (especially to ease the engineer stigma), so this appeared to be my best option. I focused on Booth as a reach school, so I flew out for a day and got interviewed by an adcom (female too which I thought was another advantage since I seem to interview better with the opposite sex). Interview was quick, professional, and a little boring, but overall I felt it went well (disclaimer: not an innuendo and description does not parallel my "personal" life) Result: waitlisted twice.

Wharton felt like a super-stretch for me, so I went the opposite direction and got interviewed by an alum at the Starbucks down the street. Went out late the night before, popped two excedrine in the morning, and ordered a large ice-water before he arrived. He tried to ask the formal questions and take notes, but that lasted about 2.5 minutes and we basically just had a conversation for over an hour. Had no idea what to make of it and figured I wouldn't get in anyway. Result: got in 2 hours after Booth WL'd me.

Tough to make a conclusion based on this, but I'll take a stab. On-campus is definitely not a guaranteed advantage and may in fact be a disadvantage in certain situations. It seems more likely to have a relaxed, conversational interview with an alum (same experience with Haas), so if that fits your personality don't feel obligated to go on-campus (especially if you've already visited). Also, if you live in a region separate from the school you'll be interviewed by someone who has a perspective on both areas. This can help you find things in common during the interview and you can ask questions very pertinent to your situation (e.g. "Will I have a nervous breakdown if I move from SoCal to Philly?")

Still, luck and randomness are likely to throw off any pre-planned strategies, so don't spend too much time worrying about the decision.

dayman
Wharton

Quote:
Unlike job interviews, nailing a bschool interview is no guarantee to a spot at the school, especially schools that use second year students as interviewers. I might be very biased on this, but it seems that interview reports from 2nd year students just don't carry that much weight because after all, they aren't the ones making the call on admit/dings.

For example, I had great interviews at Chicago w/ a 2nd year student, and another great one with HBS adcom. My Chicago essays were actually a tad better than my HBS essays. Had great recs to both schools. Guess what, denied at Chicago and in at HBS.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't freak out too much about interviews, it's not a do or die situation like job interviews (where the only criteria is how well u do on the interview itself). Of course, when you get a chance to interview with adcom, it's a good opportunity to really stand out.

sonicjiafei
Harvard
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: BEST MBA Application Tips from Alumni and Students [Revamped Thread] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Resume Tips

Quote:
Is an objective statement necessary?
I can't comment from an admissions or HR POV, but I can tell you that when we get candidates for analyst or director positions, their "objectives" usually don't help them at all, but that's because their delivery is usually bottom-of-the-barrel, not a matter of principle regarding "objectives".

Like all things, it's about coherence and pitch. A bland "objectives" statement that is full of meaningless, verbose platitudes with suspicious diction such as "I crave the opportunity to utilize all my skills and experiences in your esteemed and dynamic organization, where I believe I can contribute my proven people skills, leadership, entrepreneurship, responsibility, diligence, professionalism, enthusiasm, quantitative abilities, presentation skills, and other"... is going straight to the recycling bin. Believe me, I see that kind of sh!t more often than is mentally healthy.

I know that when I applied for one of my first successful internships, my objectives were directly focused on the actual firm and position: "I am seeking an entry-level position in Western Europe involving the gathering of intelligence in multiple languages... etc etc etc". It probably helped, because the MD who called me and interviewed me over the phone made a reference to my goals ("I see that you're interested in intelligence and investigations").

The goals have to make sense. I interviewed a poor kid who told me that "if I can't get work-study with you, I think I'll enroll in Sandhurst", as if the two were commonly interchangeable. That told me that he had no clue what we did, didn't do his homework, and that he himself had no clue what he wanted.

I guess I've never seen an "objectives" statement that left me indifferent, or had no bearing on my view of an applicant. So if you're going to put it in, it'll help you a lot, or doom you. The candidates I liked the most didn't include one, and kept their CVs capped at two pages, with lots of relevant details.

osbornecox
Booth

Quote:
If you are writing a resume for MBA recruiting (i.e. you're in b-school and you're looking for a job/intern), then I think Education before Work Experience makes sense.

If you are writing a resume for MBA admissions (i.e. you're an applicant), I think Work Experience should be placed before Education.

My tips for resumes are (although I have not applied them to my most current resume):
- Spend more bullet points on your recent achievements.
- Make sure your resume is well rounded, e.g. is there an example of teamwork, leadership, etc.?

xenok
Booth
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Awesome.
Hey .. Thank you for the information. I am preparing for the MBA exams and i am likely to refer this one for sure.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wow.......I am the student to MBA and I was looking for such tips so thanks for nice sharing.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Bookmarks
(a) Give yourself plenty of time: This is a very consuming process and you need to make sure that you allocate enough time to make sure that your applications are the best that they can be.
(b) Make yourself the priority: Your company will continue to survive if you take a few days off to focus on your future; also your boss most probably will not remember your name after you leave -- so make sure that you stay focused on what is important and are not distracted by others, rules, regulations or fear.
(c) Stay on top of your recommenders: Since the people writing your recommendation are not they ones applying to school; many often wait until the last minute to write and submit their recommendations and rush just to get it in. I always recommend providing gentle reminders to recommenders just so that it stays on top of their minds.
(d) Be careful of who you choose as your advisors: Just because somebody is a good writer or went to a particular business school may not mean that the advise they provide is current, pertinent or relevant. Also, do not have too many people read your essays as essays become dilutes with too many divergent ideas. If you can afford an admissions consultant, hire one.
(e) Remember the investment. Attending a premier graduate business program is a huge investment on many fronts -- two years of your life, an average of $150,000 in lost wages, $200,000 in tuition, living expenses, etc. When you do your personal math, you will realize the importance of going to the right school and investing in test prep, admissions consulting and the like. This is not the time to be cost conscious.
(f) Try to have fun -- knowing that it is a stressful process -- make time for exercise, limited socializing, an occasional movie, etc. Your body and brain will appreciate the break.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Wharton
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks for this list! It is a very helpful guide to periodically reference back to during the application process.

I would like clarification on one point, though: There is a lot of advice regarding saving your dream schools for R2. What happens if you receive an R1 offer but have not heard from your top schools?

In my particular situation, I am aiming for Haas (10/17), Anderson (10/24) and Marshall (11/1). Earlier tonight I felt that the rushed deadline for Haas was compromising the quality and decided to push my submission to R2 instead. I still plan on applying to Anderson and Marshall in R1. Although my chances at Haas are slim (28/Banking, Entrepreneurship/750/3.2) I do not want to sell myself short.

I have heard that a deposit and decision is usually due within 2-4 weeks after notification, but have been unable to verify this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Program: MBA FT
Area of interest in MBA : gen mgmt, strategy
GMAT: 800 (51/51)
GPA, ugrad: 3.8 - chemical engineering
GPA, grad: 4.0 - bioengineering
Work experience(WE): 2 years non-profit, 1 year research
Nationality: USA
Extra-curriculars/community: Plenty
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
What an amazing resource! really great stuff, kudos for you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos