Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: AWA [#permalink]
Kudos
machichi wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
firsttimer2 wrote:
Recently HBS director said the following about GMAT score at a admissions event.

"If we are looking at a candidate who is a strong engineer, has taken tons of math and is working with numbers and analytical stuff all day, I don’t think we need to pay terribly much attention to what their GMAT Q scores are. We want to look at their GMAT verbal score because maybe they are not having practice in terms of writing and in terms of reading long passages at work."

Many say that essays are used to evaluate writing, but can this mean a AWA of 4.0 can also factor?

(Director says they see "writing" in GMAT)

Comments from current student or someone with experience in this regard appreciated

Why wouldn't the AWA factor into their decision-making? All else equal, I'm sure HBS would admit someone with an AWA of 6 over someone with an AWA of 4.

Which is why the moral of the story is, don't let all else be equal! Shine in your essays as someone who is unique and different, someone who they would be crazy not to admit because s/he's so interesting.

I don't remember this accurately and fully, but I did read somewhere that Harvard requests in the official GMAT copy, the AWA essays as well. Typically, schools don't request these. However, I am not too sure if they use it while extending an offer, as you can report unoffocial scores while applying.

But the point on Verbal/Math sub scores is well taken. For example, as an Indian applicant, they would expect you to be >= 49 or maybe even 50 on your Quant, and won't be fazed by it. But if you have a Q 50 and a V 42 - now THAT's a powerful score versus a Q51 and V 38. In my opinion the AWA score is not as important as your GMAT Verbal score, and the reason it is looked at is to point out whether a person is truly good at verbal (eg: V42 and AWA 6.0) or good with verbal interpretation/reading but not writing (eg: V 42 and AWA 4.0)

Hope this is helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
str1der wrote:
I don't remember this accurately and fully, but I did read somewhere that Harvard requests in the official GMAT copy, the AWA essays as well. Typically, schools don't request these.
Hope this is helpful.

+1 str1der. If a link exists to whether H requests AWA essays that would be very useful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
firsttimer2 wrote:
str1der wrote:
I don't remember this accurately and fully, but I did read somewhere that Harvard requests in the official GMAT copy, the AWA essays as well. Typically, schools don't request these.
Hope this is helpful.

+1 str1der. If a link exists to whether H requests AWA essays that would be very useful.

I tried searching for it but couldnt find it. Vividly remember this though. In any case, Even if they dont read your awa, its fine right because a) you get an offer without submitting the official score so clearly awa doesnt figure heavily, if at all, and b) you cant help it as the essays are already done with in your gmat.

If i find the link ill post it heere. Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot