Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [29]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [16]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8799 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Rex quondam rexque futurus [#permalink]
Kudos
macjas wrote:
Good question Mike! Here is my analysis somewhat:

Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise as king again.

(A) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise
this sentence is the least ambiguous and structurally kosher. :)

(B) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising
the use of present participle "arising" is inappropriate here as it seems to modify the phrase "in some future time of need" :(

(C) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising
this option is ambiguous, for in using the infinitive, we do not know in what time context Arthur was/is king. It also has the "arising" issue found in B. :(

(D) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, to arise
once again, the time context is ambiguous. :(

(E) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise

same issue as above :([/quote]

In "D" how come the time context is ambiguous. The sentence clearly says "at one time". What's wrong with D?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8799 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
dheerajv wrote:
In "D" how come the time context is ambiguous. The sentence clearly says "at one time". What's wrong with D?

Hi Dheeraj, to me somehow using the construct "to be" implies something universal. "xxx is" or "xxx was" puts things in the perspective of time. This is at least how I understand it. Experts please correct me if I am wrong :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
(A) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise ---- the first part of the sub-clause is a clause with a verb and the second one too is similar

(B) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising --- the two parts are not parallel. Arising renders the second part into a phrase; wrong

(C) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising ---- same as B; wrong

(D) The mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, to arise; to be denotes timelessness, or even contemporariness, which it is not. Past tense was is the appropriate in this case. same thing what macjas has pointed out

(E) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise--- the first part is a phrase and the second part is a clause; wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
A is right..holds that and parallelsim are the keys
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure ofArthur was at one time king of all of England and,in some future time of need, will arise as king again.

Intent of the sent : Ancient legend holds 2 things ...............1. X was the king at one time................AND.................. 2. X will arise as king again in the future

Vertical scan reveals : A n somewhat D to fit the equation ( maintaining parallelism )

A : Legend holds THAT...........Arthur WAS the king.......................AND......................WILL ARISE as king again.

D : Legend holds Arthur TO BE at one time king .............AND............... TO ARISE as king again ( TO BE form..........timeless verbs doesn't reveal the timeframe when the action took place ) = So not a proper choice = Eliminated

Furthermore THAT in A = cements its choice over D.

Leading to A = my take
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Kudos
Expert Reply
geno5 wrote:
Mike,
I always love your questions you post and find them very helpful, but I do not find this one to be of a great difficulty is it really considered 700? I did it in about 25 secs, it has very easy splits.

Thank you for your kind words. To be honest, I am more or less guessing in the dark when I estimate the difficulty of a question I have just written. It's always hard to gauge what will seem obvious and what folks will find tricky.

Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Send PM
Re: Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of [#permalink]
Thanks for the question. I overlooked A and chose D, despite the ambiguity in time. I really was not sure on whether the usage of "holds that" is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
TO BE is most often then not is an incorrect choice (please correct me if i am wrong) , therefore , C / D/E are out.

B is wrong due to the use to "ARISING"

Correct Ans : - A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
D should be

holds Athure to have been the king.

is that rith?

"hold sombody to do something" is correct as " hold that sombody do something"

is that right?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vietmoi999 wrote:
D should be
holds Athure to have been the king.
is that rith?
"hold sombody to do something" is correct as " hold that sombody do something"
is that right?

Dear vietmoi999,
The construction "to hold that P did X" is perfectly correct. The construction "to hold P to do X" or "to hold P to have done X" is highly suspect ---- use of the the verb "to hold" plus the infinitive is a highly debatable construction. Some grammar experts would say it's permissible, others would say it is strictly wrong. You definitely will not see this structure as part of a correct answer on the GMAT.
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
B: Wrong; Tense of arise is wrong. it refers to the future there should be will arise.
C: wrong; Same reason as above
E: wrong: Needs a That in the sentence to work.
A: right answer; Has will arise at end of the phrase and that at the beginning of the phrase
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Ancient Celtic legend holds that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise as king again.
(A) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise
(B) that the mythical figure of Arthur was at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising
(C) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, arising
(D) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, to arise
(E) the mythical figure of Arthur to be at one time king of all of England and, in some future time of need, will arise

Mike,
Can you help in eliminating wrong options in your way.

Regards,
Ammu
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Kudos