Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Re: Investment Banking Recruiting - Q&A [#permalink]
Moss, do you have any opinion about ibanking recruiting in NYU vs MIT? Trying to decide which school would be a better fit since I am trying to go into investment banking post-MBA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jana19 wrote:
Moss, do you have any opinion about ibanking recruiting in NYU vs MIT? Trying to decide which school would be a better fit since I am trying to go into investment banking post-MBA.

Jana: Not a whole lot of insight. My firm is taking the same number from each school this summer, but that's a pretty small sample size. Both are solid schools and you'll probably get your foot in the door to most banks at either place. NYU probably offers more networking opportunities if you feel that your personality excels in face-to-face interactions... but honestly who knows how much of a difference that makes.

If its a close decision you might just want to go to the school with the better overall fit for you. People change their minds with their career goals. If you go "all in" on one path over a small difference, it could end up biting you later if you decide to change your recruiting goals. Either way, congrats on getting in to two great schools and best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pelihu's guide to recruiting and schmoozing is very helpful for those looking to go into Investment Banking: guide-to-recruiting-and-schmoozing-part-58003.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Moss,

I have offers from Emory & UNC obviously both are outside of the top 10 MBA programs. 2 questions 1)Do you see a marked difference in recruiting from top 20 vs top 10 and 2) do you see a marked difference in Emory vs UNC IB recruiting.

Lastly would banks send non-top 10 candidates to smaller offices say in Charlotte or elsewhere?

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Qwill wrote:
Moss,

I have offers from Emory & UNC obviously both are outside of the top 10 MBA programs. 2 questions 1)Do you see a marked difference in recruiting from top 20 vs top 10 and 2) do you see a marked difference in Emory vs UNC IB recruiting.

Lastly would banks send non-top 10 candidates to smaller offices say in Charlotte or elsewhere?

Thanks

There is definitely a difference between top 10 and top 20 schools. I would estimate the top finance programs may send 5-10 people into the major banks each, the numbers for non-top 10 programs are going to be around <5 or so at each of the major banks (with outlier programs and outlier years for every program). Further, you may not get as many touch points as other schools and may have to network your way into events.

Basically its going to be tougher. You probably knew this -- I mean it should be obvious that its easier to get a banking job from HBS/Wharton than it is from University of Phoenix Online, and every school in between lays somewhere on this spectrum.

I would reach out to the banking club presidents at each school and chat with them about how the recruiting process works. I'd ask the following questions:

1) How many students went to banks this summer and full time, the #s that went to each bank, and the offices they were at (CLT, NYC, etc)
2) The names of the firms that held events on-campus and how many events they held
3) The names of the firms that held on-campus interviews

Once you see the breakdown for each school, it should greatly inform your decision. Ultimately, your biggest edge is when banks come to you -- it makes the networking and recruiting process a lot easier and also signals that they're serious about hiring from your school. The banking club presidents should be a great resource to help you get a feel for which school has the best recruiting process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Another quick question... Getting into banking seems to definitely rely heavily on networking - Have you seen MBAs leverage their undergrad institution that have a top MBA program even if they didn't go to that MBA program. For instance if I attended Duke ug then went to Ross MBA - would it be ludicrous for me to contact a Fuqua alum and expect a response?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Qwill wrote:
Another quick question... Getting into banking seems to definitely rely heavily on networking - Have you seen MBAs leverage their undergrad institution that have a top MBA program even if they didn't go to that MBA program. For instance if I attended Duke ug then went to Ross MBA - would it be ludicrous for me to contact a Fuqua alum and expect a response?

It wouldn't be ludicrous at all. That said, if the bank you're looking at has a recruiting team, ultimately the buck stops with them. They're the ones tasked with everything related to recruiting at your school, and they actually might get annoyed if someone from another recruiting team starts messing with their business. There can sometimes be a bit of friendly rivalry to get the most numbers from one's alma mater, so having the "competition" give you "friendly pointers" people could prove annoying.

Not saying this is always the case or that this type of territoriality is even the norm, but I actually did hear a story of someone getting on the bad side of their school's recruiting team by focusing on some connections he had at the bank who were on another team at the expense of his home team. So unless your ugrad contacts have some serious firepower at bank, your efforts are probably best applied to connecting with members of your school's recruiting team and/or the groups you're looking to join (if the bank has group-specific hiring).

That said, if there isn't a structured recruiting program for your school or the bank just doesn't recruit there, all bets are off. Use any and all ways to network your way in, including MBA and undergrad networks alike. That's why I think it pays to find out what banks recruit on campus early on so that for those who don't do structured OCR you can start your networking blitz early. Those are going to be the programs where being scrappy and staying on the grind will pay off.

Keep me posted on your decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Great advice! Thanks for making this Q&A. I think it will be helpful for many aspiring bankers
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Hi Moss,

Thanks for the initiating the thread and sharing your insights! I noticed you mentioned taking advantage of TTS workshops on campus; my question is would you recommend getting TTS courses outside of the free(?) campus workshops? I am a student about to begin a top 10 program for class 2014 and would also greatly appreciate any advice on how you think I can use the summer to prep for recruiting.

Thanks a lot
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ppylu wrote:
Hi Moss,

Thanks for the initiating the thread and sharing your insights! I noticed you mentioned taking advantage of TTS workshops on campus; my question is would you recommend getting TTS courses outside of the free(?) campus workshops? I am a student about to begin a top 10 program for class 2014 and would also greatly appreciate any advice on how you think I can use the summer to prep for recruiting.

Thanks a lot

TTS sessions are not free, although our investment Banking Club subsidized the cost by a pretty significant amount. I would hold off on paying for TTS pre-matriculation for a couple reasons:

1) it's not subsidized - wait til school and pay much less
2) you are almost certain to not be asked technical questions until either the interview or very late in the process
3) I'd be surprised if they were even offering any classes w/ a live instructor this time of year, considering that every bank on the street is beginning their full-time hire training, and you can't beat the banks on price or volume.

Chill it out, take a class or two at the lower rate once classes start and then assess if you need to round out your skill set with some additional coursework. GL!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Moss,

Now that you've presumably actually started your internship, how has the actual job compared relative to what your expectations were going into the whole process?
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Thanks Moss! Hope you are enjoying your new summer position.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Great information on this thread. Would be great to get your experience on how your internship went and how your second year is going when you get a moment to update.

I am interested in a MBA program to get into the investment banking field; however, I wanted to ask, are most of the individuals breaking into the investment banking fields have business/finance related UG degrees? When I review the employment reports of many top 10 programs, it seems that most entering classes are 30-50% business/finance related backgrounds and there is a less percentage of individuals breaking into investment banking.

My question, is there a correlation between a business/finance UG degree and experience individuals filling majority of the investment banking positions post MBA or are non-business/finance UG and experience individuals such as engineering background individuals have the same opportunities?

Thank you,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Moss wrote:
Hey guys, I'd like to check in after my first semester at Columbia Business School and answer any questions you may have on recruiting for investment banking. I'll be interning as a Summer Associate at a bank this summer, and learned quite a bit about the process. Here are some general items and then I'll open things up for Q&A:

• Start reading the Wall St. Journal, Dealbook, FT, Dealbreaker, The Economist, The Deal or all of the above now. You'll want to have a good understanding of the deal landscape before recruiting starts
  • Take advantage of any of the Training The Street workshops held on campus. There is a lot discussed in TTS that they don't cover in class that you really have to know
  • Hustle, hustle, hustle!!! You really do have to go to every single event, and then do as many informational interviews as you can possibly set up
  • Stay humble. Don't be a dick in networking circles, don't pester people too much, and remember that its usually easier to stand out for the wrong reasons than the right ones
  • Seriously, stay humble. Cast a wide net for the banks you target! The people who were successful were the ones that recruited at not just top BBs, but all bulges, boutiques, middle-market banks, and others like Wells/BMO/RBC, etc. Its a tough market out there, but if you pull on enough strings, you'll be successful
  • Let your personality come through. You'll be working 100-hour weeks with these people, so they want someone who they can stand to be around
  • Practice, practice, practice. Work on your pitch constantly. Get coaching. Have people look over your resume. Give each other mock informationals. Come prepared to the informationals you get with plenty of questions and interesting things to talk about. Learn the banks inside and out. Practice is what you do before game time to position yourself best for victory -- so practice!
  • Know what the job is. Understand what an investment bank does, what an associate does, what a sell side/buy side process looks like, and what qualities make a good associate.
  • Come interview time, take it to the next level and crush it. Practice your tail off, do mocks all day every day, and prepare for anything and everything.

I'll probably add to this, so ask questions and I'll deliver some responses!

Hi,

Its nice to find someone from CBS. I would like to ask few things such as:-
1) Approximately what percent of Finance students make into Investment management?
2) As per you, where CBS stands against NYU, Booth, Harvard as far as finance is concerned?
3) What does CBS look in an application? Work-ex, GMAT Score?
4) How much value does CFA charter add to CBS passout?
5) As per you which is BEST college for finance from 3 perspective - Quality of faculty, Placement in Finance Field, Brand Name during placement & after placement.

I highly appreciate for your efforts, in advance.

Waiting for your reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
well done man !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
fameatop wrote:
Hi,

Its nice to find someone from CBS. I would like to ask few things such as:-
1) Approximately what percent of Finance students make into Investment management?
2) As per you, where CBS stands against NYU, Booth, Harvard as far as finance is concerned?
3) What does CBS look in an application? Work-ex, GMAT Score?
4) How much value does CFA charter add to CBS passout?
5) As per you which is BEST college for finance from 3 perspective - Quality of faculty, Placement in Finance Field, Brand Name during placement & after placement.

I highly appreciate for your efforts, in advance.

Waiting for your reply.

1 - 2) Just check out our employment report
3) Just check out the BW survey w/ 80-20 GMAT split for a good guide
4) I think the charter has helped me both get into CBS and with recruiting. Not sure how to quantify how much, nor if the ROI is worth it relative to cost ($ & time) of getting it.
5) idk man CBS? Check out the rankings and stuff... I've only taken classes at CBS so I can't really say if our classes our better or worse than anyone else's.

If you have a banking-related question, please ask away.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts