Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [3]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: 4 Killer Resolve the Paradox Questions [#permalink]
I go for D A C A albeit the first one is a tricky choice between A and D

let me know OA :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
My answer is -
A
A
C
C

Let me know OA.

Cheers!
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
In Verbal we ATTACK
Check this out ladies and gentlemen
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-verbal-attack-139074.html#p1122377
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Citizens of a democracy who are dissatisfied with their [#permalink]
Movie theaters used to show more new movie releases than movie re-releases, because new releases could be seen in theaters long before they were released for home viewing. Entertainment technology has advanced so much, however, that movies are now made available for home viewing within months of their theatrical release. As a consequence, movie theaters no longer have an advantage over home entertainment systems and no longer show as many new movie releases. Surprisingly, the number of movie goers who choose to see new releases in movie theaters and not in their homes is larger than ever.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to resolve the paradox outlined above?

(A) Seeing new releases in theaters affords movie-goers an element of social prestige and community cohesion that viewing movies at home does not
(B) Modern film viewers realize that they can have the same viewing experience for less money by waiting until new releases become available for home viewing.
(C) Many individuals now illicitly tape the screenings of new releases in movie theaters and sell them for home viewing. - means quality of home videos is not good, thus forcing people to go to theaters..
(D) Before new releases were more readily available for home viewing, it was easier for movie theaters to attract customers because movie-going was considered a novel pastime.
(E) Movie theaters often change the new releases they are playing if a given line-up does not attract a sufficient number of customers.

Although I chose A, but was confused between C for the reasoning provided above. Can someone please give me a reason to eliminate C ?
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
anshunadir wrote:
Movie theaters used to show more new movie releases than movie re-releases, because new releases could be seen in theaters long before they were released for home viewing. Entertainment technology has advanced so much, however, that movies are now made available for home viewing within months of their theatrical release. As a consequence, movie theaters no longer have an advantage over home entertainment systems and no longer show as many new movie releases. Surprisingly, the number of movie goers who choose to see new releases in movie theaters and not in their homes is larger than ever.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to resolve the paradox outlined above?

(A) Seeing new releases in theaters affords movie-goers an element of social prestige and community cohesion that viewing movies at home does not
(B) Modern film viewers realize that they can have the same viewing experience for less money by waiting until new releases become available for home viewing.
(C) Many individuals now illicitly tape the screenings of new releases in movie theaters and sell them for home viewing. - means quality of home videos is not good, thus forcing people to go to theaters..
(D) Before new releases were more readily available for home viewing, it was easier for movie theaters to attract customers because movie-going was considered a novel pastime.
(E) Movie theaters often change the new releases they are playing if a given line-up does not attract a sufficient number of customers.

Although I chose A, but was confused between C for the reasoning provided above. Can someone please give me a reason to eliminate C ?

There is no reason to assume that an illegal taping of a movie screening is a bad quality.
Sure the cam rips you get in torrents are :P . But you just can't assume that. On the other hand it actually gives people a reason to not pay for the movies and watch it at home instead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 10-20-2012
Send PM
@anshunadir- It can not be C,as we cannot be sure that the video quality is not good...we have to consider both the option- it can be good and saleable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Citizens of a democracy who are dissatisfied with their [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:

In the town of Viceroy, the salaries of miners employed by the Hadley Coal Company have fallen steadily over the last six years. During this same period, however, the rate of home ownership among miners employed by the Hadley Coal Company has increased by 15 percent. This trend is surprising because the rate of home ownership generally remains steady or declines as salaries fall, since workers are unable to afford the high monthly taxes that accompany home ownership.

Which of the following, if true over the past six years, most helps to explain why home ownership among the Hadley miners has followed this trend?

(A) The average price of a home in Viceroy has increased, forcing all citizens of Viceroy with decreasing salaries to consider buying smaller homes.

(C) A rise in the demand for coal has led coal companies in neighboring towns to offer extra shifts of paid work to the miners in Viceroy.

Hello,

I was caught between A and C for the above question. Eliminated C because an offer of extra shifts of paid work doesn't guarantee the miners took the offer, whereas A guarantees a shift to home-ownership, though small.
I might be overthinking, but is there any thing I am missing out here?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
TaN1213 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

In the town of Viceroy, the salaries of miners employed by the Hadley Coal Company have fallen steadily over the last six years. During this same period, however, the rate of home ownership among miners employed by the Hadley Coal Company has increased by 15 percent. This trend is surprising because the rate of home ownership generally remains steady or declines as salaries fall, since workers are unable to afford the high monthly taxes that accompany home ownership.

Which of the following, if true over the past six years, most helps to explain why home ownership among the Hadley miners has followed this trend?

(A) The average price of a home in Viceroy has increased, forcing all citizens of Viceroy with decreasing salaries to consider buying smaller homes.

(C) A rise in the demand for coal has led coal companies in neighboring towns to offer extra shifts of paid work to the miners in Viceroy.

Hello,

I was caught between A and C for the above question. Eliminated C because an offer of extra shifts of paid work doesn't guarantee the miners took the offer, whereas A guarantees a shift to home-ownership, though small.
I might be overthinking, but is there any thing I am missing out here?

Thank you.
. In think A has a problem. A tells us that all citizens only CONSIDER buying smaller homes. But it does not imply that the home ownership has gone up by 15%. Whereas C resolves paradox. Waiting for the OA’s though. Experts ???
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Citizens of a democracy who are dissatisfied with their leader are free to express their criticisms and elect a candidate to succeed him. Candidates for office make live speeches about their agendas and broadcast the improvements they intend to make if elected to office through various media sources, and the citizens, therefore, should be able to make an informed choice about a replacement leader. However, citizens are often dissatisfied and do not believe that the new leader is any better than the previous one was.

Which of the following, if true, best explains why an election might not result in the selection of a candidate who citizens believe to be better than the previous leader?

(A) Prior to an election, candidates often make claims that they do not actually follow through with once in office.
(B) Citizens can only express their criticisms through print media and, therefore, candidates can not address their concerns.
(C) Media sources may include editorials along with their coverage of the candidates that provide additional points of view.
(D) The members of the leader's cabinet, also elected by the citizens, may not be as well-liked as the leader.
(E) Candidates who are not well known are the least likely to be elected.

(A) Seeing new releases in theaters affords movie-goers an element of social prestige and community cohesion that viewing movies at home does not.
(C) Many individuals now illicitly tape the screenings of new releases in movie theaters and sell them for home viewing.

(B) Because of an increase in worker-related injuries among miners, Viceroy's government has subsidized the cost of safety equipment for the Hadley Coal Company.
(D) The decrease in salaries has increased Hadley Coal Company's profits and led to a corresponding increase in the value of Hadley Coal Company stock.
(E) Viceroy's local newspapers have published several articles criticizing the Hadley Coal Company for decreasing the salaries of its miners.

In the majority of serious car crashes, higher expenses are incurred by medical bills that pay for bodily injuries sustained by drivers than by the cost of repairing damage withstood by the vehicle itself. Yet, whereas most rental car companies require renters to purchase collision insurance that protects against vehicle damage, they do not require the purchase of bodily injury insurance.

Which of the following, if true, would contribute most to an explanation of the difference in insurance requirements?

(A) People are often uncomfortable when they are forced to consider suffering bodily injury to themselves or their family.
(B) Many people are less worried about collisions that damage cars than about collisions that cause bodily injury.
(C) The value of a car to a rental car company is not affected by the bodily injuries withstood by the a driver.
(D) Few rental car drivers have medical insurance that would cover common injuries sustained in a car collision.
(E) Collision insurance that covers vehicles is more expensive than medical insurance that covers drivers.

OA

Hi Folks ,

Can someone please explain why C is the correct answer .
I chose E based on the high cost of the vehicle insurance .
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts