Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Good luck. I had trouble with the page limit as well. I tried to play around with the margins and font. But oh well...I tried to make mine a bit funny -- risky move but I think high risk high reward...

canadianchamp wrote:
Just submitted for EA as a re-applicant.

Feeling pretty nervous (probably even more nervous than last year).

I really enjoyed the 25 random things - but found the 2 page limit a bit restrictive. Only had room for 3-4 actual mini-stories. Tried to get around the real estate issue by using one liners that reveal multiple things.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Great advice!....It will also ensure that you don't make silly mistakes...like attaching the wrong essay or attaching a different version of a resume...

bbharuka wrote:

I would rather suggest that apply atleast a day in advance. Who knows....if the server breaks down on the last day due to overload.......moreover.....you will have a small window to ensure that everything has been received by the school.

just my 2 cents.....all the best everyone :)
VP
VP
Send PM
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Great advice!....It will also ensure that you don't make silly mistakes...like attaching the wrong essay or attaching a different version of a resume...

bbharuka wrote:

I would rather suggest that apply atleast a day in advance. Who knows....if the server breaks down on the last day due to overload.......moreover.....you will have a small window to ensure that everything has been received by the school.

Agree.

I'm just waiting for one of my recommender to upload the final documents. He told me he will do that by today. Was just checking how much buffer I have.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Even if the person recommending you is late by a day or two -- it won't kill you. The adcom are usually very reasonable..esp Fuqua.

As long as your main application is complete, they will cut you some slack with the recommendation. Of course you can be stress free if you have it all done before the 19th. You still have about 45 hours...

jumsumtak wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:

bbharuka wrote:

Agree.

I'm just waiting for one of my recommender to upload the final documents. He told me he will do that by today. Was just checking how much buffer I have.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Guys please help me out!!!
I forgot to send my gmat score card to fuqua...
I am yet to submit my application but I just read the website that the score must reach them by the deadline that is tomorrow...and it generally takes 7 days for the score to reach them....
What do I do??

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mastertigress wrote:
I am yet to submit my application but I just read the website that the score must reach them by the deadline that is tomorrow...and it generally takes 7 days for the score to reach them....
What do I do??

Posted from my mobile device

Send a mail to the fuqua explaining your situation. I'm sure they will have some way of helping you out.

btw....how can I confirm if they have received my scores? I had sent the scores while giving GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
bbharuka wrote:
mastertigress wrote:
What do I do??

Send a mail to the fuqua explaining your situation. I'm sure they will have some way of helping you out.

btw....how can I confirm if they have received my scores? I had sent the scores while giving GMAT.

I'd think just emailing/calling the admission office would be fine. Good luck everyone!
VP
VP
Send PM
anyone who is not writing a summary on his resume? is it essential (or preferred) ?

I'm being extra careful with the resume , because IF i get an interview that'll be the only piece of paper in my interviewer's hand.

there is one on the sample resume Fuqua has put up.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
anyone who is not writing a summary on his resume? is it essential (or preferred) ?

I'm being extra careful with the resume , because IF i get an interview that'll be the only piece of paper in my interviewer's hand.

Can you be a little more clear about what you are asking? I've never heard of a summary on a resume. You should have your education, job experience and then any relevant extra-curricular info you might want to include. Your resume should never be more than 1 page long. You are not submitting a cover letter with it if that is what you are asking.
VP
VP
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

Can you be a little more clear about what you are asking? I've never heard of a summary on a resume. You should have your education, job experience and then any relevant extra-curricular info you might want to include. Your resume should never be more than 1 page long. You are not submitting a cover letter with it if that is what you are asking.

I'm talking about a section on Profile Summary on the resume.

When you log into your application there is a sample one page resume in the downloads section. I'm reproducing its profile summary here:

"PROFILE SUMMARY
Diverse experience with a background in customer relationship management, competitive analysis, training and team leadership.
Conducted focus groups and analyzed results as part of a gap analysis. Designed creative marketing strategies that enhanced
promotion of training programs. Managed cross-functional teams that delivered a new product. Seeking an opportunity in Brand
Management"

Also, this is a post-MBA resume.But, don't think it matters much.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I don't think profile matters much for an MBA interview....

The first thing the interviewer is going to ask you is -- tell me something about yourself or walk me through your resume...

You will have plenty of time to make the case about -- why mba..what motivates you...why xyz school etc.

Here is where the profile helps you --- after you are admitted to fuqua or any other bschool -- they will compile a resume book. This resume book is made available to recruiters and alumni. In this resume -- you can write a brief profile so that people know what you are interested in. Just by looking at your resume no one will know if want to go into IB or PE or Energy or Non-Profits -- considering that many people are doing the mba to change careers or explore new opportunities.

I hope this helps.

jumsumtak wrote:
mappleby wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

I'm talking about a section on Profile Summary on the resume.

When you log into your application there is a sample one page resume in the downloads section. I'm reproducing its profile summary here:

"PROFILE SUMMARY
Diverse experience with a background in customer relationship management, competitive analysis, training and team leadership.
Conducted focus groups and analyzed results as part of a gap analysis. Designed creative marketing strategies that enhanced
promotion of training programs. Managed cross-functional teams that delivered a new product. Seeking an opportunity in Brand
Management"

Also, this is a post-MBA resume.But, don't think it matters much.
VP
VP
Send PM
DevilDoggNC wrote:

The first thing the interviewer is going to ask you is -- tell me something about yourself or walk me through your resume...

You will have plenty of time to make the case about -- why mba..what motivates you...why xyz school etc.

Here is where the profile helps you --- after you are admitted to fuqua or any other bschool -- they will compile a resume book. This resume book is made available to recruiters and alumni. In this resume -- you can write a brief profile so that people know what you are interested in. Just by looking at your resume no one will know if want to go into IB or PE or Energy or Non-Profits -- considering that many people are doing the mba to change careers or explore new opportunities.

I hope this helps.

Sure does. I was anyways having troubles formulating it. Its really hard to maintain correct amount of "boastfulness"on these things.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Yeah. Most people kind of roll their eyes when they read profiles like ...."aspiring MBA applicant seeking to leverage strong academic background and 4 years of experience at a top notch energy equity research firm into a leadership role at a high growth firm specializing in alternate energy".....

jumsumtak wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:

I hope this helps.

Sure does. I was anyways having troubles formulating it. Its really hard to maintain correct amount of "boastfulness"on these things.
VP
VP
Send PM
Total number of months of full-time, post-graduate management experience including anticipated months of management experience to enrollment date of 08/01/2013 (Do not include internships).

What is management experience? Is it no. of months when someone was reporting to me directly?
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V44
Send PM
My $0.02

Management means....not just supervising people but also managing such things as a budget, a project..an event.

So it essentially comes down to responsibility and the scope of that responsibility.

jumsumtak wrote:
Total number of months of full-time, post-graduate management experience including anticipated months of management experience to enrollment date of 08/01/2013 (Do not include internships).

What is management experience? Is it no. of months when someone was reporting to me directly?
VP
VP
Send PM
DevilDoggNC wrote:
My $0.02

Management means....not just supervising people but also managing such things as a budget, a project..an event.

So it essentially comes down to responsibility and the scope of that responsibility.

jumsumtak wrote:

The term itself is very vague and subjective...

managing an event outside of work responsibilities (with the present employer) is also management? leading a committee or a team (outside of day job again) is also management ?

cant really get my head around this one
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Anything related to your "main" job that involves supervising things...is management.

I wouldn't worry too much about this..just make sure what ever you say is backed up by your resume and other parts of your application.

The adcom won't look at this question in a vacuum...

jumsumtak wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:
My $0.02

jumsumtak wrote:

The term itself is very vague and subjective...

managing an event outside of work responsibilities (with the present employer) is also management? leading a committee or a team (outside of day job again) is also management ?

cant really get my head around this one
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts