Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [484]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [6]
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [9]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier [#permalink]
Bookmarks
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

Try this official question (OG Verbal 2#100) to aee if you have understood the concept discussed in the article well.

Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark

Thanks.
Shraddha

IMO, it should be E.
noun = "an event"
noun-modifier="that caused the plant and animal extinctions"
Here, the noun+noun-modifier is modifying the entire clause - the event of asteroid slamming into north america. Please let me know if I am right here?

Also, A and B uses "which", which makes it modify north america.
C uses "and" but does not have parallelism. D uses wrong tense - "marks".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

Try this official question (OG Verbal 2#100) to aee if you have understood the concept discussed in the article well.

Sixty-five million years ago, according to some scientists, an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America, which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.

A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks - Which has no clear sensical referent
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking - Which has no clear sensical referent
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark - Slammed ....and causing (Parallelism error)
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks - It has no clear sensical referent.
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark - an event clearly modifies "an asteroid bigger than Mount Everest slammed into North America" + that clearly refers to plant & animal extinctions.

Thanks.
Shraddha

As per the meaning of the sentence - the event (asteroid slammed North America ) led to extinction of plant & animals and the extinction subsequently marked the end of era.
The correct answer in my opinion is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Bookmarks
Thanks Shraddha. Found a question on Noun + Noun Modifier

Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.
persisting
persists
persisted
they persist
are persisting

OA - A
Can you please explain why C is wrong. The explanation talks about parallelism but how is it possible to have present participle parallel to past participle.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
catfreak wrote:
Thanks Shraddha. Found a question on Noun + Noun Modifier

Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.
persisting
persists
persisted
they persist
are persisting

OA - A
Can you please explain why C is wrong. The explanation talks about parallelism but how is it possible to have present participle parallel to past participle.

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. After all you posted this question almost half a month back. In any case, if you still have doubts about this question, then I would suggest you read thisarticle. Pay close attention to the explanation of OG question - extending and spawned. And then come back here and solve this question. I would look forward to your explanation. If you have any other doubts regarding this, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Payal
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Bookmarks
This is a solid article e-GMAT.I must say indeed a critical one...at least to me.. :)

It'll be really great if you can come up with some 700+ level qs. related to this as you've done in case of 'Parallelism' article.

Thanks a lot and please keep helping the community by posting more of these.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Debayan,

If you check on this thread itself, on first page, I've posted OGV2#100.
Solve this question, and then I will piyt my analysis if you need one. :)

Thanks.
Shraddha
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks
B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking
C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark
D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks
E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,
Please let me know whether I got it right.. OA :E
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi debayan,
Yes, you chose the correct answer. However, I would love to see a little detailed analysis of how you reach to the correct answer. Good job nonetheless. :)

Here is my analysis of the question:

Meaning

• According to some scientists, 65 million years ago, an asteroid, bigger than Mount Everest, slammed into North America.
• This caused extinction of all the plants and animals.
• So, logically it is the extinction of living entities that marks the end of the geologic era known as the Cretaceous Period.
• But the way this sentence is written, it seems that this event of a gigantic asteroid slamming into North America marks the end of this particular geological era. This is not logical.

Error Analysis

• “which” clause is modifying the event of an asteroid slamming the North America. Being a noun modifier, “which” clause can only modify a noun. Modifier error.
• Verb-ing modifier “causing plant and animal extinctions” is neither worded nor placed correctly to suggest that slamming of the asteroid led to the extinction of plants and animals. Modifier error.
• As discussed in the meaning analysis, it is not clear from the sentence that extinction marks the end of the Cretaceous Period. Meaning error.

PoE

A. which, causing plant and animal extinctions, marks: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

B. which caused the plant and animal extinctions marking: Incorrect. Same “which” clause error in A.

C. and causing plant and animal extinctions that mark: Incorrect. There is no main verb after comma + and, leading to fragment.

D. an event that caused plant and animal extinctions, and it marks: Incorrect. “which” refers to plural “extinctions” that needs plural verb ‘mark’. Singular verb “marks” is incorrect.

E. an event that caused the plant and animal extinctions that mark: Correct..

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 482 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Thanks for the great article e-gmat team. Such great articles made me sign up for your course. Keep your good work flowing.

Anyways, I have a question on below ---

egmat wrote:
On her birthday, Kim got an iPhone 4S and iPad 3 from her parents, a gift that was in her wish list from a very long time.

My questions ---

1) Why can not "a gift..." refer to the list "an IPhone 4S and IPad 3" ? That is why does this noun + noun modifier clause need to refer to individual item of the list ? My understanding is for most of the cases an item list (such as a, b, and c etc) can be taken as one single entity.

2) This might be perhaps gift is singular here - but again gift is a package - so it can still make sense with a list of items in the gift. I need help here to disambiguate on what basis list should be treated as one single entity and in what cases it needs to be broken down.

3) If possible, please provide examples of both the cases - a) a noun + noun modifier must refer to list as single entity b) and a noun + noun modifier must refer to one of the item of the list.

Thanks !
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Shailendra,

On her birthday, Kim got an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3 from her parents, a gift that was in her wish list from a very long time.

Notice the use of “a gift”. This is a singular noun phrase. Now, gift is a countable noun. Even if all the items one is presented with on a special occasion are called gifts, we can count them. Per the context of the sentence, we can say for sure that Kim got two gifts from her parents – one iPhone and one iPad. The gifts that she got are countable.

This is the reason why this sentence is ambiguous because “a gift…” can refer to the any of the gifts.

Whenever we have the noun in the noun + noun modifier in singular person, it must refer to a singular entity.

You can take a look at these official questions: OG 13#47, OG 12#83, OG 12#118

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Awesome article...got many of my doubts clear...thanx a lot egmat..

please help me with this question...(OG-13 SC Q29)

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.
A. Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
B. Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
C. Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886 and outnumbering
D. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
E. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

in option D..WHICH modifies the starting noun phrase??...but which should modify the noun it follows..am i right??
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [2]
Send PM
Kudos