Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q170 V156
GPA: 3.51
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Sandy - based on your clent volume, and other perceptions, how do you seen the app volume at hbs this year? Additionally, do you (or anyone else) know the application no. Split aong the three rounds?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Just wondering, any HBS 2+2 candidates here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Submitted application yesterday. Best of luck to all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I didn't make it. Essays weren't as good as I wanted them to be. Sad that I'll have to delay, but going for Round 2. I think it's for the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
App submitted..

@str1der: I was wondering the same thing too.Did try to do some small correlation between last year's "HBS Calling" at this stage.. The Tuesday morning after the application deadline last year had 15 pages of threads in this very same section.. Now we have 9... Relevant? Maybe, Maybe not...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
taksi wrote:
App submitted..

@str1der: I was wondering the same thing too.Did try to do some small correlation between last year's "HBS Calling" at this stage.. The Tuesday morning after the application deadline last year had 15 pages of threads in this very same section.. Now we have 9... Relevant? Maybe, Maybe not...

I do think there is some corelation, but dont know what to make of it. Today, EssaySnark (www.essaysnark.com) has a post up that says how they havent seen enough Columbia apps coming in till now, versus last year where 12 people at Columbia had already applied and had been accepted at the school in ED. (Full Disclosure: Havent read the whole thing as I dont have premium access)

Until now, there is NO NEWS at all of even 1 ED admit on this forum or elsewhere (or if 1, then not 3-4 etc. By this time last year, multiple people had already been accepted)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
@str1der: I actually read the full post.. Essaysnark did not paint it as a secular trend across schools..the point there was more about specific issues in Columbia which might have led to the decline but there is a follow up post tomorrow..Might throw some insights...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
taksi wrote:
@str1der: I actually read the full post.. Essaysnark did not paint it as a secular trend across schools..the point there was more about specific issues in Columbia which might have led to the decline but there is a follow up post tomorrow..Might throw some insights...

Thanks, my apologies - I didn't intend it to come across as EssaySnark's Columbia post was common across all schools, but that he has indicated regarding one school and a trend may emerge in time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
So now that the R1 deadline has passed ... how are you guys thinking about the post-interview write-up/"email"/additional essay/whatever you want to call it?

Are you even thinking about it right now, or are you going to wait until you find out if you got an interview before wasting the mental energy to devise a strategy for this final hurdle of the admissions process?

I have spent a little time contemplating what I might write, but haven't come up with any good ideas yet. May choose to [a] wait and see if I even get an interview and [b] wait until after the interview before really spending much more time on it.

Just interested in how others are thinking about it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I think the final essay will be extremely contextual, depending on how your interview goes. I am writing own thoughts or ideas when they come to me in case no strong topics result from meeting the adcom, but I don't want to have a pre-determined idea when writing about something related to the interview may make a bigger impact. Just my take on it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
DagwoodDeluxe wrote:
So now that the R1 deadline has passed ... how are you guys thinking about the post-interview write-up/"email"/additional essay/whatever you want to call it?

Are you even thinking about it right now, or are you going to wait until you find out if you got an interview before wasting the mental energy to devise a strategy for this final hurdle of the admissions process?

I have spent a little time contemplating what I might write, but haven't come up with any good ideas yet. May choose to [a] wait and see if I even get an interview and [b] wait until after the interview before really spending much more time on it.

Just interested in how others are thinking about it!

i'll worry about it when/if i get it! until then there are other apps to work on!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Makes sense, no one even knows how the interviews will be like, and the post-interview reflection is completely based on that...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
KillerApp wrote:
Makes sense, no one even knows how the interviews will be like, and the post-interview reflection is completely based on that...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the post-interview reflection (since its due within 24hours) is adcom's way to gauge if an application used a consultant?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
prorsum wrote:
KillerApp wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the post-interview reflection (since its due within 24hours) is adcom's way to gauge if an application used a consultant?

I would say that's at least part of the consideration. Even though they have access to AWA scores/essays, it is fairly easy enough to cruise to a 6 on that. There is much less time to "polish" the reflection to anywhere near the same level as the essays given the dynamic topic (each reflection is going to be different from the other) and the 24 hr turnaround. Not sure if you have been on any of the webinars but the HBS adcom have hinted multiple times that the admissions essays have become too constructed - probably the reason behind the essay revisions this year. So the reflection in tandem with the interview itself should provide a strong enough level of differentiation for them to make decisions.

I have seen some consultants comment that they will be "on call" during interview days to help their clients through the process, so I am not sure if the reflection will necessarily impact their use.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Can we have some other stats aggregated and posted, when available...for example, out of the 218 current HBS applicants for 2015, can you post # who are female vs. male, and what industries people are coming from. Makes it easier to compare than from scrolling. Would also be cool to have a calculator where you could type in your gmat and gpa and see what % of applicants have both scores above you. Then could multiply that by expected 3000 R1 apps to see based purely on academics how many you're competing with.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
prorsum wrote:

for SURE!
But hey, like we can't turn around stuff in 12 hours! Pshaw... who are they kidding?!
(oh man, no more sleep for me)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Schools: HBS '15 (II)
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
You can actually copy-paste the user info table onto an Excel spreadsheet, and create a pivot table based on that, in order to get some additional statistics. For example, out of those who have indicated that they are applying in Round 1:
- 14 come from consulting
- 10 from IB
- 10 from computer SW/HW
- 5 from non-profit
- 3 from consumer products

As far as undegrad goes, we have:
- 33 engineers
- 12 economists
- 11 who studied finance
- 11 who studied business
- 8 who studied computer science
- 9 who studied sciences & maths

Regarding ages, most applicants are 26-28, with only 6 being 24 and under (surprisingly, there's someone who is either applying at 16 years old, or cannot properly complete online forms).

My profile: international applicant, male, 24 years old with 3 years experience in consumer goods at the time of matriculation. 720 GMAT, First Class Honours undergrad from a UK top ten uni, masters from Oxbridge.

A.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts