Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation please [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thanks for the additional information. I did assume what you meant by "portfolio" correctly, so my analysis of your future goals stands. You should definitely push towards consulting. The investment banking route is possible, but not as probable as a consulting route would be.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

icecube6000 wrote:
Thank you Paul for the reply.

With regards to my career in commercial banking, when I use the word portfolio, I mean deposits, Investment portfolio (mutual funds) and Insurance portfolio. In Standard Chartered bank, we provide solutions that cater to all the financial needs of a customer. Hence, you have variety of investment solutions such as mutual funds, TFCs, corporate bonds etc. and insurance solutions such as life insurance, education and investment related plans etc. Although I do understand that it may still be a lot different from investment banking.

The reason why I want to pursue a two year MBA is because of the depth of the program and the networking opportunities it provides. I want to switch my career my commercial banking to investment banking. For this I need tools in terms of finance courses, practical experience in terms of summer internship and the other necessary knowledge that I can only get from pursuing a two year MBA in finance. Furthermore, there a lot of investment banking opportunities in the middle east and Pakistan. However, I need to have the necessary tools to gain access to the investment banking world. The MBA will provide me exactly that.

Do you still think that I need to change my post MBA goals to management consulting?

Many thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Thanks for the additional information. I did assume what you meant by "portfolio" correctly, so my analysis of your future goals stands. You should definitely push towards consulting. The investment banking route is possible, but not as probable as a consulting route would be.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

icecube6000 wrote:

With regards to my career in commercial banking, when I use the word portfolio, I mean deposits, Investment portfolio (mutual funds) and Insurance portfolio. In Standard Chartered bank, we provide solutions that cater to all the financial needs of a customer. Hence, you have variety of investment solutions such as mutual funds, TFCs, corporate bonds etc. and insurance solutions such as life insurance, education and investment related plans etc. Although I do understand that it may still be a lot different from investment banking.

The reason why I want to pursue a two year MBA is because of the depth of the program and the networking opportunities it provides. I want to switch my career my commercial banking to investment banking. For this I need tools in terms of finance courses, practical experience in terms of summer internship and the other necessary knowledge that I can only get from pursuing a two year MBA in finance. Furthermore, there a lot of investment banking opportunities in the middle east and Pakistan. However, I need to have the necessary tools to gain access to the investment banking world. The MBA will provide me exactly that.

Do you still think that I need to change my post MBA goals to management consulting?

Many thanks.

Hi Paul,

Sorry to be digging up a two/three month old topic. I currently work for a commercial bank. However, my role within the bank is more on the real estate side and not much to do with actual banking. I was curious how ad coms view commercial banks during the application process. It is understandably not as prestigious as MC, PE/VC or IB, but I was curious how the industry as a whole is viewed.

Thanks,
HImba88
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey HImba88,

Thanks for reaching out to me ... Again.
Well, it's not as prestigious as i-banking, but then again it's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog ... um, something like that. What I am trying to say is that it all depends on how well you did in your role relative to your peers, more so than how sexy the industry is.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

HImba88 wrote:
PaulLanzillotti wrote:

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

icecube6000 wrote:

Many thanks.

Hi Paul,

Sorry to be digging up a two/three month old topic. I currently work for a commercial bank. However, my role within the bank is more on the real estate side and not much to do with actual banking. I was curious how ad coms view commercial banks during the application process. It is understandably not as prestigious as MC, PE/VC or IB, but I was curious how the industry as a whole is viewed.

Thanks,
HImba88
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Thanks Paul. I think I'm just overthinking things. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the saying is "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ha, yes you are correct - that is the correct saying!

HImba88 wrote:
Thanks Paul. I think I'm just overthinking things. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the saying is "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
GMAT Club Bot