Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation : 710(48,38)-Project Manager + Family Biz [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

The fact that you worked in your family business alongside your fulltime job is great, and I'm sure you'll have great stories to draw from there. However, I don't think you can position it as your own business if, in fact, another family member founded it - that would be unethical. It's pretty standard that people coming from families that have businesses have supported the business in some way (part time or full time). It's impressive of course, and especially if you made a significant impact in the business, but it's not the equivalent of starting your own business... so, I think it will carry some weight, but not a ton. I wouldn't worry about the ethical part of it. Working part-time (evening and weekends) to support your family's business probably didn't violate your employment contract...

Definitely include your family business experience on your resume. I think you could pick one school like Kellogg or Haas to apply to, but it's not where I would cluster around that tier - consider it a reach.

Good luck,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
https://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Mili, thanks for your wishes. Its in no way my own business, though I did explore and research, quite a lot of options and possibilities, I could not start my own business. I could improve my family business with my skills, however.

Thanks for your advice. I plan to apply 2 in top10, 2 in 10-18, and 2 below.
(mostly : Haas, Kellogg, Duke, Ross, USC, UNC)
Would that be a good plan?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Mili,

One dilemma I am in is regarding the Letter of Recommendation :
Apart from the LOR from my immediate manager in the company that I work for (full time), I can get a Letter of Recommendation from a senior manager (2nd to CEO) of the only Copper mining company in India. I have interacted a lot with him over past 4 years for my family business and he will surely have a word or two of praise for me. :)
Would it be okay to take a LOR from him ?
(One from my manager and one from him)
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

I think your school list is well balanced. Good job! As for LORs - definitely take one from your immediate supervisor. The copper mining exec could be strong, as long as he has an intimate view of your professional development over the years. Ideally, your recommendations come from superiors who have worked with you/witnessed your development on a day-to-day level over time. So, really, it depends how much interaction you've really had with him. Also, if he's a family friend, then I'd advise against it.

Hope this helps,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
https://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HI Mili,
Thanks for the response. I looked the school insider guides, they most certainly should be useful.
One question regarding the goals essay is

How does the adcom look at applicants who have dual experiences, like that of mine? Should I talk about my success in both on my Goals Essay? or just one of the two?
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
You'll really have to find that narrative that fits with your goals story. Perhaps they both belong, perhaps only one does. You need to find the appropriate places within the application/essays to highlight each... wish I could help, but that would really require a full-on consulting engagement so that I could get to know you, your story, your goals in much more depth. If you want, you can sign up for a free consultation on our website and try to get some guidance from a consultant on our team: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Glad the guides were helpful.

Good luck!
Mili
Moderator:
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
1452 posts