Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [4]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Send PM
Re: Beginner's info on the new Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink]
Kudos
Edvento wrote:
Good sources...kudos!!!

I am in love with the IR section. They ape the 'MBA' type reports that aspirants would find in b-schools. It's like a taste of the real thing. However, concepts like regression lines would be something test takers will have to familiarize themselves with.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Thanks Shouvik.

Why dont you share what you know about IR....

To start with what are regression lines? Tell me about it.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Based on what I read on Mba.com nothing says about regression line. please tell us about this argument but with concrete link example and so on.

Otherwise would be concerned...

By the way I 'd have another question: is true that if you take 0 on IR this affects your quant score ?? is possible??

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Based on what I read on Mba.com nothing says about regression line. please tell us about this argument but with concrete link example and so on.

By the way I 'd have another question: is true that if you take 0 on IR this affects your quant score ?? is possible??

thanks

I think Regression line deals with just a type of questions to be asked in IR. May not be in the info available on mba.com

Also, per my information, IR scores are NOT going to be counted towards the Verbal, Quants, or the total GMAT score. It would be shared seperately (kinda like the AWA scores).

Any takers to certify the info?? Mods??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
When do they plan on introducing the IR?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618969 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
charlemagne wrote:
carcass wrote:

thanks

I think Regression line deals with just a type of questions to be asked in IR. May not be in the info available on mba.com

Also, per my information, IR scores are NOT going to be counted towards the Verbal, Quants, or the total GMAT score. It would be shared seperately (kinda like the AWA scores).

Any takers to certify the info?? Mods??

IR will be separately scored from the rest of the GMAT, so it will not count towards your overall 200-800 score.

For more check: the-next-generation-gmat-gmat-integrated-reasoning-130224.html

MBADreamzzz wrote:
When do they plan on introducing the IR?

The GMAT Integrated Reasoning section is a new section on the GMAT, and will be introduced on June 5th, 2012. Instead of making test takers suffer even longer, GMAC, the writers of the GMAT, have decided to replace one of the essays with the Integrated Reasoning section.

As the section implies there is a fair amount of reasoning involved – most will be quant-based, though there will be some verbal-based reasoning as well.

Here are some important points to keep in mind:

* You must answer a question before moving on
* Once you answer a question you can’t go back to it
* A graph or prompt may have multiple questions
* You will have 30 minutes to do 12 questions
* There will be an onscreen calculator for this new section (but not for the rest of the exam!)

For more check: the-next-generation-gmat-gmat-integrated-reasoning-130224.html

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:

thanks

charlemagne, carcass and other friends,

Apologies for replying late.

Ok, I got to see a question on 'regression' here: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/sam ... 1?next=yes

But don't worry. The questions are very simple. I felt many test takers might be confused to see the term and might find the question beyond their reach.

The questions speaks of a 'regression line', which by definition is termed as regression of y on x - the equation representing the relation between selected values of one variable (x) and observed values of the other (y); it permits the prediction of the most probable values of y

In the question, there is a scatter plot. We have values of y for values of x. The regression line tries to determine a pattern here, so that I can predict a value of y for a given value of x. That's it.

The question only asks how water and air temperature are correlated. The upward sloping line suggests that they are positively correlated.

Do ask again if you feel it's not clear. I'd be glad to help.

Regards,

Shouvik.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Edvento wrote:
carcass wrote:

thanks

Ok, I got to see a question on 'regression' here: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/sam ... 1?next=yes

But don't worry. The questions are very simple. I felt many test takers might be confused to see the term and might find the question beyond their reach.

The questions speaks of a 'regression line', which by definition is termed as regression of y on x - the equation representing the relation between selected values of one variable (x) and observed values of the other (y); it permits the prediction of the most probable values of y

In the question, there is a scatter plot. We have values of y for values of x. The regression line tries to determine a pattern here, so that I can predict a value of y for a given value of x. That's it.

The question only asks how water and air temperature are correlated. The upward sloping line suggests that they are positively correlated.

Regards,

Shouvik.

Thanks edvento..that really did help..

So were you able to uncover any more kind of questions for IR?

And is there a set of say 4-5 question types that cover all the possibilities?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Send PM
charlemagne wrote:
Edvento wrote:
carcass wrote:

thanks

Regards,

Shouvik.

Thanks edvento..that really did help..

So were you able to uncover any more kind of questions for IR?

And is there a set of say 4-5 question types that cover all the possibilities?

Hi charlemagne and friends,

The mba.com site gives us an outline of the question types.

The Graphics Interpretation, Two-part Analysis and Table Analysis are just extensions of the regular data interpretation that we already have in the quant section. The only difference is that instead of focussing on more calculations, these questions will ask you to infer if certain facts are true or false. The calculation bit is minimal.

The Multi-Source Reasoning is something I give kudos to the GMAC for. They are excellent questions. I personally love them. This part is actually gives such a nice idea what managers do and what it is like to take decisions.

Let me research a little bit more on these question types. I'll also try to post more practice problems and related sources. The GMAT has just become more interesting. So much better than a computer judging your essay writing skills. No pun intended here.

Regards,

Shouvik.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Friends,

I have studied all the 50 IR questions released by the GMAC and have come up with a preliminary analysis as promised to you all. Check out my blog post for this.
https://www.edvento.com/blog/6-tips-to-a ... n-the-gmat

I'll dig deeper into the individual question types and post whenever I find something interesting.

Regards,

Shouvik.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Friends,

As promised I am sharing newer info on the IR section.

I am excited to share a technique that I developed to approach the 2-Part Analysis questions. It is called the Arrow Rule and is helpful in solving cause-and-effect problems. It's too detailed to be posted here. So sharing link.

https://www.edvento.com/blog/the-arrow-rule

Hope you like it. If you have any queries regarding the rule, do contact me.

Regards,

Shouvik.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am deciding whether to buy the OG13 just for the 50 IR questions.

I already have the OG10-12 and took OG13 from a friend (could not get his online access).

Can someone let me know if it is worth shelling out $$ just for online access of these 50 questions?

Thanks in advance !
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
DI Forum Moderator
1031 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11178 posts