Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [28]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618599 [12]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [6]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: MBA - Strategy, Operations & General Management
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 650  Q49  V29 GMAT 3: 650  Q47  V33
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Send PM
Re: If x is not equal to zero, is | x | < 1 ?? [#permalink]
Perfect Explanation, Evajager, @Carcass this is a very common mistake which I am also prone to make.
Thanks @Evajager - Your explanation for {B}
Quote:
(2) Since , it follows that , because . cannot be negative!!!
Then, the given inequality becomes , or (we can multiply both sides by , which is positive) and we are again in the situation from (1) above.
Sufficient.

I remember skipping a Question just like this in one of my exams because I gt stuck!!! in solving - | x | < 1/x

Thanks guys you rock!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
carcass wrote:
If x is not equal to zero, is \(| x | < 1\) ??

1) \(x^2\) \(< 1\)

2) \(| x |\) < \(\frac{1}{x}\)

I would like to know if I do in the right manner

question: x id non zero, is \(| x | < 1\) ??? now to be < 1 x must be negative, so the question become " is x negative ???

1) for a square to be < 1 the must be for example \(\frac{- 1}{2}\) ----> x is negative . suff

2) for x to be minor of a certain number that is the reciprocal i.e. : \(-2 < - 1/2\) --------> x is negative. suff

is correct or I should rethink the entire part regarding inequalities ?? because this statement should not take you more that 50 seconds to solve. otherwise you get in trouble with this exam.

Thanks

The condition \(x\) non-zero was given just because statement (2) has \(x\) in the denominator.

x id non zero, is \(| x | < 1\) ???
Not necessarily. \(x\) can be greater than \(1\) or less than \(-1\), in which case, definitely \(|x|\) is not less than \(1.\)

now to be < 1 x must be negative, so the question become " is x negative ??? NO
\(x\) can be between \(0\) and \(1\).

(1) \(x^2\) \(< 1\), take square root from both sides and obtain \(|x|<1\), because \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\).
Sufficient.

(2) Since \(|x|<\frac{1}{x}\), it follows that \(x>0\), because \(|x|>0\). \(x\) cannot be negative!!!
Then, the given inequality becomes \(x<\frac{1}{x}\), or \(x^2<1\) (we can multiply both sides by \(x\), which is positive) and we are again in the situation from (1) above.
Sufficient.

Answer D.

Correction: in (2) and we are again in the situation from (1) above. - not exactly, but similar as we have \(x^2<1\) but in addition \(x>0.\) In (1) \(x\) could also be negative.
The conclusion is still correct, as now \(|x|=x<1.\)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:

1) \(x^2\) \(< 1\)

question: x id non zero, is \(| x | < 1\) ??? now to be < 1 x must be negative, so the question become " is x negative ???

1) for a square to be < 1 the must be for example \(\frac{- 1}{2}\) ----> x is negative . suff

2) for x to be minor of a certain number that is the reciprocal i.e. : \(-2 < - 1/2\) --------> x is negative. suff

is correct or I should rethink the entire part regarding inequalities ?? because this statement should not take you more that 50 seconds to solve. otherwise you get in trouble with this exam.

Thanks

I would suggest you to keep 4 ranges in mind when dealing with squares, reciprocals etc.

............... -1........ 0 ........ 1 ..............

Less than -1, -1 to 0, 0 to 1 and greater than 1

You can do the question logically or by plugging in numbers.

Ques: If x is not equal to zero, is \(| x | < 1\) ??
Logically, | x | implies distance from 0 on the number line. So the question becomes "Is x a distance of less than 1 away from 0?" i.e. "Is -1 < x < 1?" given x is not 0.

Statement 1: \(x^2\) \(< 1\)
Square of a number will be less than 1 only if the absolute value of the number is less than 1. This means \(| x | < 1\). The number needn't be negative. If it is positive, it should be less than 1. If it negative, it should be greater than -1.
Or, do you remember how to solve inequalities using the wave? \(x^2 < 1\) is \(x^2 - 1 < 0\) which is \((x - 1)(x + 1) < 0\). This implies -1 < x < 1 but x is not 0.
Or plug in numbers from the given 4 ranges. YOu will see that x must lie in -1 < x < 1.
Sufficient.

Statement 2: \(| x | < \frac{1}{x}\)
First of all, x cannot be negative since | x | is never negative. Since | x | is less than 1/x, 1/x must be positive. Also, x cannot be greater than 1 since then, | x | will be greater than 1/x.
Or plug in numbers from the given 4 ranges. You will see that x must lie in 0 < x < 1.
Sufficient.

Answer (D)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
carcass wrote:

1) \(x^2\) \(< 1\)

Thanks

I would suggest you to keep 4 ranges in mind when dealing with squares, reciprocals etc.

............... -1........ 0 ........ 1 ..............

Less than -1, -1 to 0, 0 to 1 and greater than 1

You can do the question logically or by plugging in numbers.

Ques: If x is not equal to zero, is \(| x | < 1\) ??
Logically, | x | implies distance from 0 on the number line. So the question becomes "Is x a distance of less than 1 away from 0?" i.e. "Is -1 < x < 1?" given x is not 0.

Statement 1: \(x^2\) \(< 1\)
Square of a number will be less than 1 only if the absolute value of the number is less than 1. This means \(| x | < 1\). The number needn't be negative. If it is positive, it should be less than 1. If it negative, it should be greater than -1.
Or, do you remember how to solve inequalities using the wave? \(x^2 < 1\) is \(x^2 - 1 < 0\) which is \((x - 1)(x + 1) < 0\). This implies -1 < x < 1 but x is not 0.
Or plug in numbers from the given 4 ranges. YOu will see that x must lie in -1 < x < 1.
Sufficient.

Statement 2: \(| x | < \frac{1}{x}\)
First of all, x cannot be negative since | x | is never negative. Since | x | is less than 1/x, 1/x must be positive. Also, x cannot be greater than 1 since then, | x | will be greater than 1/x.
Or plug in numbers from the given 4 ranges. You will see that x must lie in 0 < x < 1.
Sufficient.

Answer (D)

This is the same reasoning that I followed in the first instance with some errors but the path was correct. Specifically the stimulus evaluation : \(| x | < 1\) ------ in this scenario the first one is \(x < 1\) AND \(-x < 1\) so \(x > -1\) ------> \(- 1 < x < 1\)

Thanks Mod :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
If x is not equal to zero, is |x| < 1 ? [#permalink]
The general rule of thumb with DS + ineq questions is if you can avoid plug numbers DO IT!

If x is not equal to zero, is |x| < 1 ?

Unraveling the question we have case1 where x < 1 OR case 2 where x > -1

REMEMBER that with ineq. DS questions A suffiecient asnswer is the answer that verifies case1 OR case2 OR BOTH

(1) x^2 < 1
"ROOTING" both sides (i.e. raised both sides in 1/2 power) we have sqrt(x^2) = sqrt(1) = 1 hence |x| < 1 which is SUFFICIENT as verifies case1 and case2 (effectivly if you solve it you get exactly the 2 cases from the question stem). Is important to know that "ROOTING" is allowed here because BOTH sides of the enequality are NOT NEGATIVE.

(2) |x| < 1/x
Solving the ineq. above gives two cases:

caseA: x < 1 / x and caseB x > - 1/x

CaseA: Since x>0 we can multiply both sides and get x^2 < 1. Rooting both sides again (as shown in (1) above) you get |x| < 1 this verifies again case1 and case2 from the question stem. At this point YOU DONT need to go and check caseB.

D is the correct answer
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If x is not equal to zero, is |x| < 1 ? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If x is not equal to zero, is |x| < 1 ? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts