Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: How to offset lower GPA? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
iginca wrote:
First off, let me apologize if I haven't posted this in the correct forum. First timer here, so any help or guidance is always appreciated!

I would like to know how to offset a lower GPA to have a better chance at gaining entrance into a good B-School. I graduated with a 2.97 from a state school. Simply due to the fact that I was working 5-60 hours a week supporting my family. but thankfully that time is over. Looking to take my GMAT sometime before June.

Should I be taking business courses at a CC or an extensions? Or should I just leave it as is and try to get the highest score possible on my GMATs?

I think it depends where you want to apply. There are many programs where I would completely agree with Jon and MyEssayReview. However there are also programs (especially those where the average GPA is 3.3 or higher) where even with a stellar GMAT, excellent essays and your reasonable explanation will leave you at a competitive disadvantage. If you are applying to these programs, a few recent A's could help you demonstrate that you know how to apply yourself academically. If you have poor grades in quant subjects or few quant subjects on your transcript, recent A's can also boost adcom confidence in your quant skills as well as prepare you for b-school; obviously the quant GMAT score can reinforce this too.

For more tips on applying with a low GPA, please see MBA application weaknesses.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to offset lower GPA? [#permalink]