Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '15 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have one final question and would love to get your views on this. Did any of you utilize your optional essay to tell a story that the other essays didn't give you a chance to talk about? I'm leaning towards doing this because I have a really interesting story that showcases different important skills / attributes, but the wording of the optional essay topic seems to suggest that it's only meant to be used for extenuating circumstances. Please let me know! Thank you!!!

Big mistake ...if you do this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Guys, I see only three lines in the job/duties section in the PDF proof. For the awards, I see only one line with everything else gone. Is that how it should be? Or am I doing something wrong !?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
icaniwill wrote:
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have one final question and would love to get your views on this. Did any of you utilize your optional essay to tell a story that the other essays didn't give you a chance to talk about? I'm leaning towards doing this because I have a really interesting story that showcases different important skills / attributes, but the wording of the optional essay topic seems to suggest that it's only meant to be used for extenuating circumstances. Please let me know! Thank you!!!

Big mistake ...if you do this.

I agree. The optional essay (which I used to address my academic record) is meant to address lingering questions that come up for the adcom, but have not been adequately answered in the application. However, you can use part of the essay to highlight things about you the adcom would want to know but doesn't already have the info in the app.

For example, I basically said "Given my circumstances, a b and c, my acadamic record does not reflect my future potential or my intellectual capabilities. Given these facts, It is my hope that while evaluating my candidicacy the adcom pay greater attention to x, y and z. (This is where I fit in some new good stuff about me i.e. business accomplishments, overcoming personal challenges, community service) that I wasn't able to fit in anywhere else." I basically used the optional essay to put my academic record in context and explain how I hope to be evaluated by the adcom.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
In the education page of the application, we have to enter a GPA. I completed my Undergraduation in India, and my transcript mentions total marks I secured.

The GPA box only accepts x.x format.

Any advice?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (II)
Send PM
Kudos
BlueRobin wrote:
In the education page of the application, we have to enter a GPA. I completed my Undergraduation in India, and my transcript mentions total marks I secured.

The GPA box only accepts x.x format.

Any advice?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Where is the "Job Duties" section referenced in the Columbia application employment section (referenced below)? I don't see it anywhere?

"You may include these as a separate notation in the "Job Duties" section. If you are an entrepreneur, please explain your salary in the Optional Essay. Please convert to U.S. Dollars."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools: HBS '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Kudos
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
Hey guys,

Yes. You can. I emailed the admission office about using the optional essay to discuss an experience that had to do with my goals:

"I have a question about the optional essay of the MBA application. Can I use this essay to describe an experience that has played an important role in shaping my goals? I feel that this information is relevant to my candidacy."

Here is what they said:

"Thank you for your email. The optional fourth essay is available for you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays. Using this to describe an experience that has played an important role in shaping your goals would be appropriate. This essay should be a maximum of 500 words.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Rachael Lubetkin"

BTW, if you have questions about a school's application, contact the admission office.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Submitted 02 Oct. Fingers crossed now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Got a call from CBS. Admitted for J-Term!!!
Stats:
International applicant
3.5yr WE - top tier management consulting
700 GMAT - 49Q/37V

Good luck for those who are still waiting!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats!
So, after talking to guys I can make a conclusion that if you see a status change e-mail after an interview it means you are rejected but if you get a call from unknown number ...
Was interviewed exactly 2 weeks ago, yesterday got the message that an interview report was delivered, still waiting...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
polyaris wrote:
Congrats!
So, after talking to guys I can make a conclusion that if you see a status change e-mail after an interview it means you are rejected but if you get a call from unknown number ...
Was interviewed exactly 2 weeks ago, yesterday got the message that an interview report was delivered, still waiting...

I wouldn't start thinking negatively just yet. Anything is possible! Good luck. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KAS1 wrote:
I wouldn't start thinking negatively just yet. Anything is possible! Good luck. :)

Not at all. I mean it seems that we will learn about our admittance via the call not e-mail which is used for negative news only.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
whitetiger001 wrote:
Got a call from CBS. Admitted for J-Term!!!
Stats:
International applicant
3.5yr WE - top tier management consulting
700 GMAT - 49Q/37V

Good luck for those who are still waiting!

Great job! When did you submit and interview?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Thanks,

Submitted on 21/7

Interviewed 2 weeks ago
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Any light on whether Columbia might check on the 'University being Co-signor?'. I had applied for Wharton last year R2 and got dinged. Initially even Wharton had no such loan programs for students. But I got an update, while I was waiting for a response, that Wharton was pleased to annouce loan program for international student.

I really want something similar to happen here. With a difference of getting an admit :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
whitetiger001 wrote:
Thanks,

Submitted on 21/7

Interviewed 2 weeks ago

Definitely seems like they have slowed their pace of acceptances. A colleague of mine Submitted --> Interview (2weeks)--> Accepted (2 weeks). Was less than a month from submitt to accept and that was only 2 years ago.

Looks like if you submitted in July-August they have emailed for interviews, but not much outside of that.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts