Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [286]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [126]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [31]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1141 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Arrow AB which is a line segment exactly 5 units along with [#permalink]
Kudos
I didn't get the explaination....
what i did was i formed the grid on xy plane with info provided. total grid points i got were 100 and we need to select 2 points to form an arrow...so 100C2 : 4950...which is nowhere near the answer....whr exactly i m making the mistake?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
daviesj wrote:
I didn't get the explaination....
what i did was i formed the grid on xy plane with info provided. total grid points i got were 100 and we need to select 2 points to form an arrow...so 100C2 : 4950...which is nowhere near the answer....whr exactly i m making the mistake?

Posted from my mobile device

What you forgot to consider is that the length of the arrow must be 5 units.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1141 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Thanks for the wonderful explanation Karishma. Kudos for that.
Now what my concern is, should we expect to get this type of problems in the real exam?...I mean in this problem we need to draw the figure and need to manually count the possibilities that is time consuming.

Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [6]
Send PM
Arrow AB which is a line segment exactly 5 units along with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
daviesj wrote:
Thanks for the wonderful explanation Karishma. Kudos for that.
Now what my concern is, should we expect to get this type of problems in the real exam?...I mean in this problem we need to draw the figure and need to manually count the possibilities that is time consuming.

Thanks.

This question is based on an OG question. The OG question uses this concept though it doesn't require you to manually count the different cases.

Given unlimited time, you should be able to do this question i.e. conceptually you should be clear with this. It is a time consuming laborious question so I wouldn't expect GMAT to give this. It is missing the excitement - you can do most GMAT in under a minute or perhaps even 30 secs. The fun is to be able to figure out the logical trick that makes it tick.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 03 Oct 2012, 20:32.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 11 Oct 2022, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 382 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MonSama wrote:
ANSWER: E
If A and B have the same x-coordinate then we have 10 pairs of y-coordinate of A and B per x-coordinate. (eg: 1-5, 2-6...) => 10*10 = 100 arrows.
Similarly, if A and B have the same y-coordinate then we have another 100 arrows.
If A(a,b) and B(c,d) don't have the same x-coordinate or y-coordinate then either |a-b|=3,|c-d|=4 or |a-b|=4,|c-d|=3
In the first case, there are 14 pairs of x-coordinate, and 12 pairs of y-coordinate. => 14*12 = 168 arrows.
Similarly in the second case, there are 168 arrows.
Therefore, We have 100 + 100 + 168 + 168 = 536 arrows.

How did you find the coordinate pairs?

Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619017 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
From 100 hardest questions
Bumping for review and further discussion.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
The vertical arrows are shown by the blue arrows. 5 of them will start from x = 0, 5 from x = 1 and so on till x = 9. So you have 50 of these blue arrows.

Responding to a pm:

This is what this statement means: Draw an arrow starting from (0, 0) to (0, 5). Head of the arrow is at (0, 5). Then draw another one starting from (0, 1) to (0, 6). Another from (0, 2) to (0, 7). Another from (0, 3 to 0, 8). Another from (0, 4) to (0, 9). You are able to draw these 5 arrows such that x co-ordinate is 0 in each case. You cannot go higher up because y co-ordinate cannot be more than 9.

Similarly, draw an arrow starting from (1, 0) to (1, 5). Another from (1, 1) to (1, 6) and so on... You will again be able to draw 5 such arrows.

Keep increasing x co-ordinate by 1 and you will get 5 arrows each time till you reach x = 9. So you will get 10 groups of 5 vertical arrows each i.e. 50 such arrows.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Owen '18 (A)
Send PM
harikris wrote:
Arrow AB which is a line segment exactly 5 units along with an arrowhead at A is to be constructed in the xy-plane. The x and y coordinates of A and B are to be integers that satisfy the inequalities 0 ≤ x ≤ 9 and 0 ≤ y ≤ 9. How many different arrows with these properties can be constructed ?

A. 50
B. 168
C. 200
D. 368
E. 536

Consider the diagram.
The arrows could be vertical, horizontal or diagonal.

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg

The vertical arrows are shown by the blue arrows. 5 of them will start from x = 0, 5 from x = 1 and so on till x = 9. So you have 50 of these blue arrows. You have another 50 vertical arrows which are the same arrows but with the arrow head on the opposite end (shown by the red arrow). So you have a total of 100 vertical arrows.
Similarly, you have 100 horizontal arrows.

Now check out the diagonal arrows. One co-ordinate should be of length 3 and another of 4 (so that the arrow length is 5 and all points are integers). Look at the purple arrows. The x co-ordinate is 3 and the y co-ordinate is 4. You can make 7*6 = 42 such arrows. Similarly, you can make 42 arrows with x cor-ordinate as 4 and y co-ordinate as 3. So you have 84 arrows. But you get another set of 84 arrows by keeping the arrows the same but putting the arrow head on the opposite end so you get a total of 2*84 = 168 arrows.

Similarly, you can make arrows in the opposite direction shown by the green arrows. So you have another 168 arrows.

Total = 100 + 100 + 168 + 168 = 536

Hi, cant we make slanting arrows also in the opposite direction like vertical and horizontal arrows i.e. just reversing the coordinates of A and B.

thanks
Abhishek
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Astral wrote:
harikris wrote:
Arrow AB which is a line segment exactly 5 units along with an arrowhead at A is to be constructed in the xy-plane. The x and y coordinates of A and B are to be integers that satisfy the inequalities 0 ≤ x ≤ 9 and 0 ≤ y ≤ 9. How many different arrows with these properties can be constructed ?

A. 50
B. 168
C. 200
D. 368
E. 536

Consider the diagram.
The arrows could be vertical, horizontal or diagonal.

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg

The vertical arrows are shown by the blue arrows. 5 of them will start from x = 0, 5 from x = 1 and so on till x = 9. So you have 50 of these blue arrows. You have another 50 vertical arrows which are the same arrows but with the arrow head on the opposite end (shown by the red arrow). So you have a total of 100 vertical arrows.
Similarly, you have 100 horizontal arrows.

Now check out the diagonal arrows. One co-ordinate should be of length 3 and another of 4 (so that the arrow length is 5 and all points are integers). Look at the purple arrows. The x co-ordinate is 3 and the y co-ordinate is 4. You can make 7*6 = 42 such arrows. Similarly, you can make 42 arrows with x cor-ordinate as 4 and y co-ordinate as 3. So you have 84 arrows. But you get another set of 84 arrows by keeping the arrows the same but putting the arrow head on the opposite end so you get a total of 2*84 = 168 arrows.

Similarly, you can make arrows in the opposite direction shown by the green arrows. So you have another 168 arrows.

Hi, cant we make slanting arrows also in the opposite direction like vertical and horizontal arrows i.e. just reversing the coordinates of A and B.

thanks
Abhishek

Look at the highlighted part above. We have already taken care of it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools: Owen '18 (A)
Send PM

thanks
Abhishek

Look at the highlighted part above. We have already taken care of it.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the reply.

There can be 4 different types of lines with 4 different slopes that may have 5 units as length (for eg. co-ordinates - (4,0)&(0,3); (3,0)&(0,4); (0,0)&(3,4); (0,0)&(4,3). Thus total number of lines 42*4=168. And if arrows are reversed number will be 168*2 = 336.

Request you to please let me know if I am going wrong somewhere.

thanks.
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 21.32 KiB | Viewed 53547 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Now check out the diagonal arrows. One co-ordinate should be of length 3 and another of 4 (so that the arrow length is 5 and all points are integers). Look at the purple arrows. The x co-ordinate is 3 and the y co-ordinate is 4. You can make 7*6 = 42 such arrows. Similarly, you can make 42 arrows with x cor-ordinate as 4 and y co-ordinate as 3 (these are your blue and yellow arrows). So you have 84 arrows. But you get another set of 84 arrows by keeping the arrows the same but putting the arrow head on the opposite end so you get a total of 2*84 = 168 arrows.

Similarly, you can make arrows in the opposite direction shown by the green arrows. (these are your red and black arrows) So you have another 168 arrows.

There can be 4 different types of lines with 4 different slopes that may have 5 units as length (for eg. co-ordinates - (4,0)&(0,3); (3,0)&(0,4); (0,0)&(3,4); (0,0)&(4,3). Thus total number of lines 42*4=168. And if arrows are reversed number will be 168*2 = 336.

Request you to please let me know if I am going wrong somewhere.

thanks.

Note that we have already taken all 4 of them them into account in the highlighted part above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
harikris wrote:

A. 50
B. 168
C. 200
D. 368
E. 536

I guess it is more than 400. ans is E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Now check out the diagonal arrows. One co-ordinate should be of length 3 and another of 4 (so that the arrow length is 5 and all points are integers),..
Am not clear with this. Please help.
Thanks in advance1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Arrow AB which is a line segment exactly 5 units along with [#permalink]
The way I did the diagonal arrows is... I drew a 3x4 (right 3, up 4) box from the origin. For each of those, you can have 4 sets of coordinates for A and B (e.g. A(0,0)+B(3,4); A(3,4)+B(0,0); A(3,0)+B(0,4); A(0,4)+B(3,0).

Moving up, you can make 5 more boxes, so that's 6 for the first column. Using the same 3x4 boxes, you can move right 6 times, so there are 7 of those. That's 6x7=42 times the box is made, with each box having 4 distinct arrows with their respective vectors. So, that's 42x4 = 168.

You can also make 4x3 squares from the origin. Using the same idea, you get another 168 distinct arrows.

So far in total that's 336 arrows.

Combine that with the 100 vertical and 100 horizontal arrows, then the total is 536 arrows.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [11]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos