Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [1177]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Math Expert
Send PM
Re: Inequality and absolute value questions from my collection [#permalink]
Expert Reply
amlan009 wrote:
lagomez wrote:
10. If n is not equal to 0, is |n| < 4 ?
(1) n^2 > 16
(2) 1/|n| > n

answer A
because in number 2 n can be negative or a fraction

Doubt :The question is is |N|<4 ,from statement 2 we can see that n can only be a fraction or its value lies between 0 and 1 like say 1/2 .1/3 etc.same for negative fractions
for example for n =1/2 , 1/(|1/2|)=2 which is greater than n=1/2

Also for n=-1/2,1/(|-1/2|)=2 which is greater than n=-1/2

for negative integers also its true ,say we take n=-3 ,
1/|n|=1/3 which is greater than n=-3

But point to note is that both negative nos and fractions are less than 4 ,so this statement is equally sufficient ,correct me if i am wrong !!!!

\(\frac{1}{|n|}>n\) holds true for ALL negative values of \(n\), as if \(n<0\) then \(LHS=positive>RHS=negative\). Hence we don't know whether \(-4<n<4\) is true. That's why statement (2) is not sufficient.

The complete range of \(n\) for which \(\frac{1}{|n|}>n\) holds true is \(n<1\).

P.S. OA's and solutions for all question are given in my posts on pages 2 and 3.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Dear Bunuel,

I don't quite understand your explanation on question 4, could you please explain to me again?.
When I solved both statement 1 and 2, the answer can be + or -, therefore, how the answer comes up with only 1 sign?.

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
sumitra wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

I don't quite understand your explanation on question 4, could you please explain to me again?.
When I solved both statement 1 and 2, the answer can be + or -, therefore, how the answer comes up with only 1 sign?.

Thanks

Welcome to GMATClub !

4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2(x-y)=1 OR (x-y)=0.5
Does not need both to be positive or not, EG. x=5, y=4.5 ... x=-4.5, y=-5

(2) x/y>1
Again not sufficient. EG. x=5, y=2 ... x=-5,y=-2

(1+2) x/y>1 does mean that the sign of x & y has to be the same since their ratio is greater than 0
Now (x-y)=0.5 is also true which means x is greater than y
Either x&y are both negative or both positive
If x and y are both negative, and we know x is greater than y, then (x/y) will be less than 1 (x=-3, y=-4 .. x/y=3/4<1) which contradicts statement 1
Hence x & y must both be positive
Sufficient

Answer is (C) : Both statements together but neither alone is sufficient
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sumitra wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to Gmat Club.

I guess you understand why each statement alone is not sufficient. As for (1)+(2):

From (1): \(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)

From (2) \(\frac{x}{y}>1\), we can only deduce that x and y have the same sigh (either both positive or both negative).

When we consider two statement together:

From (2): \(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x}{y}-1>0\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute \(x\) from (1) --> \(\frac{y+\frac{1}{2}-y}{y}>0\)--> \(\frac{1}{2y}>0\) (we can drop 2 as it won't affect anything here and write as I wrote \(\frac{1}{y}>0\), but basically it's the same) --> \(\frac{1}{2y}>0\) means \(y\) is positive, and from (2) we know that if y is positive x must also be positive.

OR: as \(y\) is positive and as from (1) \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x=positive+\frac{1}{2}=positive\), hence \(x\) is positive too.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi

I am not sure if the answer is C.From my point of view it needs to be E.Reason is even if we combine both I and II ,the answer is insufficient.

Consider putting the values as 1) x=1 y=1/2 ,now x>y and x-y=1/2.In this case both x and y are positive
Now2) x=-1 and y=-1/2,now again x>y and x-y=-1/2.In this case both are negative.

Hence insufficient to deduce whther x and y are both positive.

Please share your inputs on the same.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Eshika wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)
\(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute x --> \(\frac{1}{y}>0\) --> \(y\) is positive, and as \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x\) is positive too. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi

I am not sure if the answer is C.From my point of view it needs to be E.Reason is even if we combine both I and II ,the answer is insufficient.

Consider putting the values as 1) x=1 y=1/2 ,now x>y and x-y=1/2.In this case both x and y are positive
Now2) x=-1 and y=-1/2,now again x>y and x-y=-1/2.In this case both are negative.

Hence insufficient to deduce whther x and y are both positive.

Please share your inputs on the same.

OA for this question is C, not E.

The red part in your reasoning is not correct: if x=-1 and y=-1/2 then y>x.

Here is the logic for C:

From (2) \(\frac{x}{y}>1\), we can only deduce that x and y have the same sigh (either both positive or both negative).

When we consider two statement together:

From (1): \(2x-2y=1\) --> \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\)

From (2): \(\frac{x}{y}>1\) --> \(\frac{x}{y}-1>0\) --> \(\frac{x-y}{y}>0\) --> substitute \(x\) from (1) --> \(\frac{y+\frac{1}{2}-y}{y}>0\)--> \(\frac{1}{2y}>0\) (we can drop 2 as it won't affect anything here and write as I wrote \(\frac{1}{y}>0\), but basically it's the same) --> \(\frac{1}{2y}>0\) means \(y\) is positive, and from (2) we know that if y is positive x must also be positive.

OR: as \(y\) is positive and as from (1) \(x=y+\frac{1}{2}\), \(x=positive+\frac{1}{2}=positive\), hence \(x\) is positive too.

Does it make sense now?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [2]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I accumulated bunnuel's answers together with absolute and inequality questions
Attachment:
Inequality and Absolute Value.doc [85 KiB]
Downloaded 1424 times
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT &amp; HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
7. |x+2|=|y+2| what is the value of x+y?
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

This one is quite interesting.

First note that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms:

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=-2.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.
(...)

Bunuel, how did you figure out that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms? I did it by evaualting four scenarios when I combine these possibilities: x+2>0, x+2<0, y+2>0, y+2<'0
Is there a faster method to do it? I tried by using the method proposed by "walker", but I think that it doesn't work when there are more than one variable. Please your help. Thanks!
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
metallicafan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=-2.
B. x+2=-y-2 --> x+y=-4. This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2.
(...)

Bunuel, how did you figure out that |x+2|=|y+2| can take only two possible forms? I did it by evaualting four scenarios when I combine these possibilities: x+2>0, x+2<0, y+2>0, y+2<'0
Is there a faster method to do it? I tried by using the method proposed by "walker", but I think that it doesn't work when there are more than one variable. Please your help. Thanks!

We have \(|x+2|=|y+2|\).
If both absolute values expand with + or - sign we'll get: \(x+2=y+2\) (notice that \(-(x+2)=-(y+2)\) is exactly the same);
If they will expand with different signs we'll get: \(-(x+2)=y+2\) (notice that \(x+2=-(y+2)\) is exactly the same).

So only two forms.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

In the first statement from 2x-2y=1 --> we can sat x-y=1/2

So it cud be 8.5-8 or 0.25 - (-0.25)
HOw can we say both x and y are positive?

similarily statement 2

x/y>1
=>x>y

how can we be sure x and y have the same sign
we can have 8>7
or
8>-8

Bunel can you pls xplain..or am i missing sumtin fundamental?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shankar245 wrote:
Quote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

In the first statement from 2x-2y=1 --> we can sat x-y=1/2

So it cud be 8.5-8 or 0.25 - (-0.25)
HOw can we say both x and y are positive?

similarily statement 2

x/y>1
=>x>y

how can we be sure x and y have the same sign
we can have 8>7
or
8>-8

Bunel can you pls xplain..or am i missing sumtin fundamental?

For (1) we are not saying that x and y are positive, we saying that if they were both positive then it would mean that the line y=x-1/2 is only in I quadrant, which is not possible. So from (1) we cannot say that x and y are both positive.

Or consider following numbers: x=2, y=1.5 and x=-2, y=-2.5.

For (2). First of all you can not multiply x/y>1 by y and write x>y, since you don't know the sign of y: if it's positive then x>y but if it's negative then when multiplying by negative number you should flip the sing of the inequality and write x<y. Never multiply or divide inequality by a variable (or by an expression with variable) unless you are sure of its sign since you do not know whether you must flip the sign of the inequality.

Next, since x/y>1 then x/y>0, which means that x and y are either both positive or both negative, hence they have the same sign.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=0.

When we have scenario A, xy will be nonnegative only. Hence if xy is negative we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(1) xy<0 --> We have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

when we have x+y=-4
Acc to the explanation , we have
This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2

so x can be be -3,-4,-5..(X<-2)
and y can be -1,0,1...(y>-2)

a solution could that -2-2=-4

in this case it does not satisfy ? May be this is trivial but your clarification will help me correct my assumption

Thanks in advance.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
shankar245 wrote:
Quote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

A. x+2=y+2 --> x=y. This will occur if and only x and y are both >= than -2 OR both <= than -2. In that case x=y. Which means that their product will always be positive or zero when x=y=0.

When we have scenario A, xy will be nonnegative only. Hence if xy is negative we have scenario B and x+y=-4. Also note that vise-versa is not right. Meaning that we can have scenario B and xy may be positive as well as negative.

(2) x>2 and y<2, x is not equal to y, we don't have scenario A, hence we have scenario B, hence x+y=-4. Sufficient.

when we have x+y=-4
Acc to the explanation , we have
This will occur when either x or y is less then -2 and the other is more than -2

so x can be be -3,-4,-5..(X<-2)
and y can be -1,0,1...(y>-2)

a solution could that -2-2=-4

in this case it does not satisfy ? May be this is trivial but your clarification will help me correct my assumption

Thanks in advance.

When we consider ranges to expand an absolute value we should put equal sign (=) in either of the range. For our question we put equal sign for the first range (case A) when we are analyzing the case when x and y are both \(\geq{-2}\) than -2 OR both \(\leq{-2}\). So the scenario when \(x=y=-2\) (\(x+y=-2-2=-4\)) is included in case A.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
(1) xy<0
(2) x>2 y<2

Hi Bunuel,

I am getting E and just cannot understand D. Please see my solution below -
I used number picking.

A. xy<0,
x=+ and y=- For this condition choosing different values of x and y (x=2,y=-6: x=3, y=-7)satisfies the given condition in modulus. Hence x=y can be different value
or x=- and y=+ - This condition doesn't satisfy the modulus condiotion

B- x>2 and y<2 - As per the above stmt 1 - condition 1, there can be various values for x and y, hence x+y is different.

Hence E. I know I am going wrong some where, please help.

thanks
jay
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [19]
Send PM
Kudos