Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Quant Suggestion Please... [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
farukqmul wrote:
Hi,
I can't improve my Q score anymore..Four months ago my Q score was 38 and now it's 42 ..But I can see that the score is not improving anymore....Sometimes I get 41 or 43...Can anyone suggest me anything so that I can improve my Quant skill? By the way, I have solved OG 11 & 12, Manhattan ,NOVA math bible and plenty of problems from the forum...Thanks

You obviously know what to do in different question types - the point is - do you know WHY you do it. Higher level Quant questions require higher order thinking e.g. not just the application of a formula but whether you can produce one of your own when the situation demands.

For example:
I am sure you know how to find the sum of first n positive integers. You use the formula n(n+1)/2
But do you know why you use it?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... n-1, n

Because we can find the middle number which is given by (n +1)/2 which is the mean of the numbers. We know that the mean represents that number which can replace every number of the set. So we can replace every number by (n+1)/2 and there will be n such numbers.
The sum = n(n+1)/2

Now, can you use the same logic to get the sum of first n odd numbers Or first n even numbers?
and so on...

This is just a small example. My mantra is that the more you ask 'WHY', the better your score gets. But don't expect overnight miracles. It will take some time but hard work invested wisely will certainly result in a higher score.

Karishma - Many thanks for your advise. Can we use the GMAT-Club question bank to achieve the same? I plan to take up topics in which i'm weak and do 1 page from each of those topics per day in PS and DS. I guess each page has about 20-30 problems in the question bank. Would this help?

I have started with one such topic recently here - search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=34

Would this help or is there a better I can follow? You advise will be very very helpful. thanks in advance.

cheers
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jp27 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
farukqmul wrote:
Hi,
I can't improve my Q score anymore..Four months ago my Q score was 38 and now it's 42 ..But I can see that the score is not improving anymore....Sometimes I get 41 or 43...Can anyone suggest me anything so that I can improve my Quant skill? By the way, I have solved OG 11 & 12, Manhattan ,NOVA math bible and plenty of problems from the forum...Thanks

You obviously know what to do in different question types - the point is - do you know WHY you do it. Higher level Quant questions require higher order thinking e.g. not just the application of a formula but whether you can produce one of your own when the situation demands.

For example:
I am sure you know how to find the sum of first n positive integers. You use the formula n(n+1)/2
But do you know why you use it?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... n-1, n

Because we can find the middle number which is given by (n +1)/2 which is the mean of the numbers. We know that the mean represents that number which can replace every number of the set. So we can replace every number by (n+1)/2 and there will be n such numbers.
The sum = n(n+1)/2

Now, can you use the same logic to get the sum of first n odd numbers Or first n even numbers?
and so on...

This is just a small example. My mantra is that the more you ask 'WHY', the better your score gets. But don't expect overnight miracles. It will take some time but hard work invested wisely will certainly result in a higher score.

Karishma - Many thanks for your advise. Can we use the GMAT-Club question bank to achieve the same? I plan to take up topics in which i'm weak and do 1 page from each of those topics per day in PS and DS. I guess each page has about 20-30 problems in the question bank. Would this help?

I have started with one such topic recently here - search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=34

Would this help or is there a better I can follow? You advise will be very very helpful. thanks in advance.

cheers

It is not about how many questions you do every day but about how you do those questions. When you pick a tricky question, try and think of different ways of solving it. Think back why you solved it the way you did. Try to find out more innovative ways of solving the question and then think why those ways work. When you check out a thread, try to go through all the methods discussed there. Some you would know already, some might be new. Instead of solving a question in 2 mins, checking your answer and moving on, spend 15 mins on it grappling with it from different angles till the time you are convinced that you have learned everything you can from that question.
GMAT Club Bot