Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
MBAWanderlust wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
Thank you for the insights. Just to confirm that I am getting everything right. So, personal setback is something personal that was failed due to EXTERNAL circumstances not by YOU and we have to describe how we overcame it???

I am having difficulty in understanding the difference between "failure" and "setback". First time I read the topic for essay 2, I understood that I should describe something that I failed and how I overcame the situation. But now, I am realizing that setback is not exactly a failure, I mean it is a failure but not because of my fault. Correct me if I am wrong.

So let me put it this way -

Failure - When YOU (something you thought or did) caused something you were trying to do, from getting accomplished.

Setback - When some sudden, unexpected circumstance or event (not something you did) caused something you were trying to do, from getting accomplished.

Trying to run the marathon but chickening out the night before - Failure
Trying to run the marathon but an accident breaks your leg - Setback

I believe the key thing to address in setback essays, is mainly how you managed to deal with/overcome an unexpected speed bump on the way to achieving your task, even when it was not your fault.

Hope this helps.

-MBAWanderlust

Greatly appreciate! Thank you!!!! Now it is clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone,

If you are in Paris, come learn more about MIT Sloan and get a first-hand account of the MBA experience. Please join four MIT Sloan students for a student-hosted information session on October 8th in Paris. We will discuss our experience, the admission process, the career opportunities, life in Boston, and answer any of your questions.

Here are the details:

Date: Monday October 8th 2012
Time: 6pm to 7pm
Place: McKinsey & Company, 79 Avenue des Champs Elysees, 75008 Paris
Registration: please sign-up on MIT Sloan Admissions Events website (google it and you'll find it)

Hope to see you on Monday!

Best,

David
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
MIT sent an email with some essay tips:

Essay 1: Describe a time when you had to convince a person or group of your idea. (500 words or fewer, limited to one page)
Essay 2: Describe a time when you overcame a personal setback. (500 words or fewer, limited to one page) This example may be from a professional situation and should be something that affected you as an individual.
Optional Supplemental Information: Share something you would like your future classmates and the Admissions Committee to know about you in a multimedia or written format. (300 words or fewer, limited to one page) This will not be shared with anyone outside the Admissions Committee without your permission.

Presentations must be accessible via an unprotected URL and cannot be uploaded directly into your application. Videos should be no more than one minute long; please do not use Flash.

For each essay, please provide a brief overview of the situation followed by a detailed description of your response including what you thought, felt, said, and did.

Please limit the experiences you discuss to those which have occurred in the past three years.

A few thoughts/questions:
For Essay 2, I'm happy they clarified that this was not limited to just personal situations, but it's probably back to the drawing board for me on this one.

For Essay 3, does this mean we shouldn't use this as a typical "additional information" section (clarifying low exam scores, GPAs, other extenuating circumstances)? I'm starting to think this is more of a "describe yourself in 300 words" essay that may or may not end up being shared with the incoming class.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:

Essay 1: Describe a time when you had to convince a person or group of your idea. (500 words or fewer, limited to one page)
Essay 2: Describe a time when you overcame a personal setback. (500 words or fewer, limited to one page) This example may be from a professional situation and should be something that affected you as an individual.
Optional Supplemental Information: Share something you would like your future classmates and the Admissions Committee to know about you in a multimedia or written format. (300 words or fewer, limited to one page) This will not be shared with anyone outside the Admissions Committee without your permission.

Presentations must be accessible via an unprotected URL and cannot be uploaded directly into your application. Videos should be no more than one minute long; please do not use Flash.

For each essay, please provide a brief overview of the situation followed by a detailed description of your response including what you thought, felt, said, and did.

Please limit the experiences you discuss to those which have occurred in the past three years.

For Essay 2, I'm happy they clarified that this was not limited to just personal situations, but it's probably back to the drawing board for me on this one.

For Essay 3, does this mean we shouldn't use this as a typical "additional information" section (clarifying low exam scores, GPAs, other extenuating circumstances)? I'm starting to think this is more of a "describe yourself in 300 words" essay that may or may not end up being shared with the incoming class.

If I'm remembering right, I believe MIT explicitly says to use the Cover Letter to provide insight into any extenuating circumstances.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Anyone going to the Sloan Diversity Weekend next Friday?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
[EDIT - Best of luck everyone!]

Originally posted by OptimisticApplicant on 08 Oct 2012, 09:46.
Last edited by OptimisticApplicant on 10 Oct 2012, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:

For Essay #2, the context (whether it be professional or personal) is only important for applicants who've done some incredible stuff: the people who reported directly to CEOs, who managed headline mergers / acquisitions, who commanded hundreds of soldiers, etc. In reality, that's a small minority of applicants! (while every Perspectives makes it sound like they're the majority!) So for most people, don't worry about the context so much.

The most important / meaningful part of your answer, for most applicants, is not the context, but the part about what "you thought, felt, said, and did." That's the part that helps the AdCom understand who you are. In most cases, MBA programs don't want to admit the immature, self-serving braggart from a big name company. They'd prefer to admit the reflective, conscientious, empathetic, self-aware person who has the potential to become a great leader.

So choose a story that demonstrates those characteristics that MBA programs want.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OptimisticApplicant wrote:
How are you all planning to sign your cover letters? For example, are you doing...

Sincerely,
First Last

OR

Sincerely,
[HANDWRITTEN SIGNATURE]
First Last

OR

Sincerely,
[TYPED SIGNATURE IN A SCRIPT FONT]
First Last

or something totally different?

Thanks!
OptimisticApplicant

Good question! I like this idea a lot of putting in a handwritten signature. I've actually never seen anyone do this, but it's something that I feel would be a beautiful personalized touch, like getting your initials stitched into your bathrobe
:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
What do you guys think of the students being paid to defer admission from Fall 2012 to Fall 2013- Less seats for us to grab?
https://poetsandquants.com/2012/09/26/sl ... o-go-away/
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
crimemaster - Unfortunately, that's exactly what it means.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM

Originally posted by OptimisticApplicant on 09 Oct 2012, 14:38.
Last edited by OptimisticApplicant on 23 Oct 2012, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hello fellows,

where are you guys addressing the eventual lack of a current supervisor recco? The cover letter prompt suggests that the letter could be used to address any extenuating condition, but it sounds a bit odd to explain such situation in a document with the aim to show that I'm a fit to MIT Sloan. I would appreciate any insight on it.

Regards,
lamanxa.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
In short, yes, I do think there will be fewer seats for those of us applying for the Class of 2015 this year.

First, the Class of 2014 is overenrolled, so to compensate, I expect they'll want a smaller Class of 2015 to begin with. Second, four people accepted the $20K deferral and rumor has it that others accepted non-scholarship deferrals (see comments of P&Q article). Third, I'm sure MIT will have a higher estimated Yield based on last year.

In my estimation, the accpetance rate will drop from 14.4% for the Class of 2014 to 13.3% for the Class of 2015. Here's how I calculated those figures:

Class of 2014:
-4,133 Applicants (source 1)
-413 Enrolled (source 1)
-67% Class of 2012 Yield (source 2)
-400 Enrollment Target (assumption)
-597 Estimated Acceptances (400 Enrollment Target / 67% Yield)
-14.4% Estimated Acceptance Rate (597 Est. Accepts / 4,133 Applicants)
-69% Class of 2014 Yield (413 Enrolled / 597 Est. Accepts)

Class of 2015:
-4,133 Applicants (assumes it will hold constant vs. last year)
-4 $20K Deferrals (source 1)
-6 No Scholarship Deferrals (assumption based on source 1 comments)
-800 Total FT MBA Program Enrollment Target (assumption)
-409 Class of 2014 (source 1 - 4 $20k deferrals)
-391 Class of 2015 Enrollment Target (800 total - 409 Class of 2014, assumption)
-381 Class of 2015 Seats Available (391 target - 10 deferrals)
-69% Class of 2014 Yield (see above)
-551 Class of 2015 Acceptances (381 Class of 2015 Seats / 69% Yield)
-13.3% Estimated Acceptance Rate (551 Class of 2015 Accepts / 4,133 Applicants)

Source 1: https://poetsandquants.com/2012/09/26/sl ... o-go-away/
Source 2: https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... sloan.html

Let me know what you all think!

Thank you,
OptimisticApplicant

Good analysis, although it does nothing to advance you as an OptimisticApplicant in our eyes :) haha

I think the acceptance rate will remain the same (14 odd percent) as the number of apps at Sloan will also be down (as is expected to be the general trend). If you take a 5% decline, you are looking at 550 admits out of 3,926 applications - which is 14% Now THAT is an OptimisticApplicant! hehe - cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM

Originally posted by OptimisticApplicant on 10 Oct 2012, 09:21.
Last edited by OptimisticApplicant on 23 Oct 2012, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Submitted yesterday. Best of luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
How are you all planning to sign your cover letters? For example, are you doing...

Sincerely,
First Last

OR

Sincerely,
[HANDWRITTEN SIGNATURE]
First Last

OR

Sincerely,
[TYPED SIGNATURE IN A SCRIPT FONT]
First Last

or something totally different?

Thanks!
OptimisticApplicant

With Handwritten signature, don't you think it *may* come across as pretentious candidate. Just a bit of risk.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.56
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:

Info session I was at explicitly said that the Supplemental Information is really not optional - you should definitely answer it.

Thoughts on the setback essay: is getting rejected from other schools 2 years ago (and demonstrating learning/growth/why I am ready now) a reasonable approach? Only real setback I've had in the last 3 years.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts