Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Messed up verbal section 640 (Q50, V27) [#permalink]
I really envy your Quant score. The good thing is that you have identified the areas you need to work on in Verbal. I'm just starting off my preparation and think i learnt a thing or two from the posts on this thread.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
You may want to have a look at SC Grail 3rd edition. I just read it on the forum that it's about to release. I had used its 2nd edition and found it to be quite good. Though the 3rd edition has not released yet(so I don't exactly know how much better it is than the 2nd edition) but it looks very promising based on the book description on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Sentence-Cor ... e+sc+grail
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Hi dc1509,

Doing well in Verbal is key to obtaining a decent score as you are no doubt aware.

For sentence correction, two big resources are:
1) Ron's videos (esp. those on parallelism, verb-ing, comparisons, and modifiers). Link: https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

2) e-GMAT SC articles on the Verbal Advantage thread. They really simplify SC by working you through some wonderful and colorful articles replete with great illustrations. Highly recommended.
https://www.gmat-club-verbal-advantage-133953.html

P.S. The more you know the fundamentals concepts of SC (pretty much Modifiers), everything looks easy and you can increase your hit rate to ~95% on actual GMAT SC questions, and those so-called meaning-based SC questions start looking like any other SC question.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
piyatiwari wrote:
dc1509 wrote:
Not sure, As I attempting the test in US, I might have given with difficult verbal section.

I don't agree with this. GMAT can't discriminate people based on geography. If this has to be true, do you think they gave you simpler quants?

I'll add my 2 cents on this issue. Recently i happened to meet a guy who scored 760 in his first attempt and 800 in second. He gave his first test in India and second in london. He also admitted the same and advised me to try giving the test in a region where the overall score is generally low. The feedback from him was that the quant was relatively tough in India, whereas verbal was at par.
My take on this is that people from this demographic region are traditionally strong in quant( because of the education system prevailing that lays more emphasis on Maths than any other subject) and therefore these people will invariably score higher in quant ( and thus overall) than people of other regions. GMAC may not like to give advantage to people of a particular region because the others don't have such strong academics backgrounds/system. Whether GMAC agrees or not, i feel that it's an unsaid truth. Conversely, I feel that major demographic regions from where people generally score low are thrown questions from not so difficult pool.
I would love to hear opinion on this issue of somebody who has appeared for the test in India as well as in Middle-east/ Russia..
However, It's good to keep these discussions at bay as they won't take us anywhere.. :wink:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Rajeev,

You can ask this question to GMAT Representative. Is the guy you refering to a GMAT Tutor or your friend/acquaintance.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts