Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Re: Train X departs Rockburg for Williamsland at 1:00 p.m. and [#permalink]
piyatiwari wrote:
Asked : how much faster is train X than train Y ?

say X's speed is X and Y's speed is Y
We need to find speeds of both trains OR difference between speeds OR X-Y

(1) Train X arrives at Williamsland at 5:00 p.m.

So X travels 200 miles in 4 hours (1 PM to 5PM)
X's speed : 50 mph

Can't get Y's speed from statemet (1) - Insufficient.

(2) Train X and train Y pass each other at 3:30 p.m.

At 3:30 pm,
X has travelled for 2.5 hours
Y has travelled for 1.5 hours

when they cross each other, they both have completed 200 miles together.

2.5X + 1.5Y = 200

we can not get X-Y from this
statemet (2) - Insufficient.

combining

X : 50 mph -> from statemet (1)
2.5X + 1.5Y = 200 -> statemet (2)

We can get Y's value and X-Y.

Together they are sufficient.

Hence C.

Thank you for your explain, actually I was wondering about the extracted equation from the two statements, I didn't get why when they cross each other, they both have completed 200 miles together??

shouldn't the equation be like this

2.5*50 = 1.5y------ because when they cross each other, then they both will have the same distance, but it also means that they didn't complete the whole distance, which is 200
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
madimo wrote:
piyatiwari wrote:
Asked : how much faster is train X than train Y ?

say X's speed is X and Y's speed is Y
We need to find speeds of both trains OR difference between speeds OR X-Y

So X travels 200 miles in 4 hours (1 PM to 5PM)
X's speed : 50 mph

Can't get Y's speed from statemet (1) - Insufficient.

At 3:30 pm,
X has travelled for 2.5 hours
Y has travelled for 1.5 hours

when they cross each other, they both have completed 200 miles together.

2.5X + 1.5Y = 200

we can not get X-Y from this
statemet (2) - Insufficient.

combining

X : 50 mph -> from statemet (1)
2.5X + 1.5Y = 200 -> statemet (2)

We can get Y's value and X-Y.

Together they are sufficient.

Hence C.

Thank you for your explain, actually I was wondering about the extracted equation from the two statements, I didn't get why when they cross each other, they both have completed 200 miles together??

shouldn't the equation be like this

2.5*50 = 1.5y------ because when they cross each other, then they both will have the same distance, but it also means that they didn't complete the whole distance, which is 200

X started out from R and Y started out from W. The distance between R and W is 200 miles. They met each other at 3:30. HOw much distance do they need to cover together to meet? They need to cover the original distance between them. What is the original distance between them? 200 miles. So they together covered 200 miles. That's how you get the equation.

Distance covered by X + Distance covered by Y = 200
(time of X * speed of X) + (time of Y * speed of Y) = 200
2.5*50 + 1.5 * Y = 200

Think, if you are your friend are 10 m apart and you want to meet, how many meters do you need to cover together? 10 M of course. It doesn't matter whether you cover 9 and he covers 1 or you cover 2 and he covers 8 etc. But together, you need to cover 10. It is not essential that you both need to cover equal distances. If you start at different times and/or if your speed is different, you will likely cover different distances. This is the same case.

You can actually do this equation using a diagram and without making any equation. I will explain it in a while.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
madimo wrote:
Train X departs Rockburg for Williamsland at 1:00 p.m. and train Y departs Williamsland for Rockburg at 2:00 p.m. If Rockburg and Williamsland are 200 miles apart, how much faster is train X than train Y ?

This is what we know: Distance between X and Y initially is 200 miles. X starts at 1:00 pm and Y at 2:00 pm. We need to know the difference between speeds of X and Y.

We know the time taken by X to cover 200 miles but not the time taken by Y. So we cannot say what the difference between their speeds is.

The two trains cross each other at 3:30. So X has traveled for 2.5 hrs and Y for 1.5 hrs and they have together covered 200 miles. But we don't know the individual distances covered by them and hence, we don't know their speeds. Think of it this way: say X is very slow. It could still start at 1:00 and meet at 3:30 if Y is very fast. On the other hand, if X is very fast, it could start at 1:00, meet at 3:30 (Y is slow) and reach the other side.

Now the problem is to figure out if together the two statements are sufficient. Note that they meet at 3:30 and X reaches the other side at 5:00 i.e. it takes 1.5 hrs to cover the remaining distance. This 'remaining distance' is the distance covered by Y when it started at 2:00 and met at 3:30 i.e. in 1.5 hrs. Basically, V=X and Y both covered the same distance in 1.5 hrs and hence their speeds are the same. So X has the same speed as Y.

I have made a diagram below to reinforce this.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 8.4 KiB | Viewed 4753 times ]

Notice that Y travels on the green line and takes 1.5 hrs to do it. X travels from the meeting point to the other end (same as the distance of the green line) in 1.5 hrs. SO we can conclude that their speeds are the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Thank you very much guys you made it clear to me now, cheers :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Kudos
Train X departs R for W at 1:00 p.m. and train Y departs W for R at 2:00 p.m. If R and W are 200 miles apart, how much faster is train X than train Y ?
We are looking for the speed of train X vs. train Y.

Speed = distance/time
Distance = rate*time

This tells us that train X traveled for four hours. The average speed of X is therefore 50 miles/hour. Still, we know nothing about the speed of Y.
INSUFFICIENT

Depending on the speed of X and Y, they could have passed one another at the midpoint or at some other point along the tracks. We know nothing of their speed.
INSUFFICIENT

Train X travels 2.5 hours and train Y travels 1.5 hours when they pass each other. When they do pass one another, they will have covered a total of 200 miles.
d1+d2=200
distance = r*t
d1: (50mph*2.5 hours)
d2: (s*1.5 hours+
total distance = 200
(50*2.5)+(s*1.5)=200
125+1.5s = 200
1.5s = 75
s = 50

The speed for both trains is the same, 50 miles/hour.
SUFFICIENT

(C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
(1) Simply gives the time of arrival of the first train heading to W. The time of arrival allows us to calculate the speed of 50 mph of X. As we know nothing about Y we are unable to answer the question.

(2) Given that they pass each other at 3:30 we see that X has traveled for 2,5h and Y has traveled for 1,5h. The total distance that they would have traveled together at this point is 200 miles.

2,5X+1,5Y=200. We are not able to solve this equation without additional information either about X, Y or the relation between X and Y and thus, we are unable to answer the question.

(1&2)
2,5X+1,5Y=200
X=50
-> 2,5*50+1,5Y=200
-> 1,5Y=75
-> Y = 50

Thus, X-Y = 0. They travel the same speed.

(Although, as this is a DS question one could stop without solving the equations above)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts